Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Astraweb retention being increased to 270 days

Hellish Blasphemer
    I'm all for a increase in usenet retention. Even though most stuff gets reposted quite quickly, there is always something perverse or bizarre that is posted only that one time, and that extra retention increases your chances in getting it.
    Last edited by grishnakh; 01-04-2009 at 10:52 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #42
    I have given it some thought and will probably ditch giganews end of my billing cycle. But I got a couple weeks left just interested in their response. I am low level user if they throw in free SSL I may just stay save the effort of signing elsewhere to save a few pence... Competition is good.. Cmon giga what you going to offer..
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

3. Newsgroups   -   #43
    xuxoxux's Avatar Reader BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy72 View Post
    I have given it some thought and will probably ditch giganews end of my billing cycle. But I got a couple weeks left just interested in their response. I am low level user if they throw in free SSL I may just stay save the effort of signing elsewhere to save a few pence... Competition is good.. Cmon giga what you going to offer..
    It is logical if giganews were to lower prices or increase retention. I would think the lower prices has a better chance of going though, if anything.

If they also increase retention, given a another year or so, adds will be like this:

*******News:
    $0.25 / Month
    4,000 SSL Connections
    33 Years Retention
    Unlimited Speed/Downloads

4. Newsgroups   -   #44
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Its been 160 days for a while now. Wonder they will start increasing.

5. Newsgroups   -   #45
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I'm sure the increasing will start fairly soon.

I'm really eager to see what Giganews is going to come back. I think they need to work on their prices right now and not their retention. Even if they up retention to 300(or whatever), why would you pay that much more Giganews? Astraweb has become a huge contender because of their price. And with this new retention, more and more are going to sign up with them.

6. Newsgroups   -   #46
    In addition to lowering prices, giganews should implement block pricing as well.

Most giganews value seems to be in their unlimited plans,

Subscription may work well in the US where bandwidth is quite cheap but in countries where isp's offer low download quota it is much cheaper to buy a astraweb block and use it over say three months than it is to subscribe a low end giganews plan for three months

Moves like that this would encourage people without an unlimited internet connection to try giganews

7. Newsgroups   -   #47
    Quote Originally Posted by humchu View Post
    In addition to lowering prices, giganews should implement block pricing as well.

Most giganews value seems to be in their unlimited plans,

Subscription may work well in the US where bandwidth is quite cheap but in countries where isp's offer low download quota it is much cheaper to buy a astraweb block and use it over say three months than it is to subscribe a low end giganews plan for three months

Moves like that this would encourage people without an unlimited internet connection to try giganews
    270 days unlimited Astraweb for $11 with a backup block account with 365 days retention on Giganews would be the ultimate set up!

8. Newsgroups   -   #48
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Giganews already has plans for an expansion of it's retention "well past 240 days".

But Astraweb's price,
    that nearly unbeatable. I just hope their member base doesn't grow beyond their network's capabilities like Usenetsever did last year.

9. Newsgroups   -   #49
    seh's Avatar ______________ BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Quote Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing. Not like I really need the extra 90 days retention right NOW, but still..

10. Newsgroups   -   #50
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    Quote Originally Posted by seh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing. Not like I really need the extra 90 days retention right NOW, but still..
    I emailed them and asked and got the following respopnse:

Hi

The retention should reach 270 days in 110 days time (160 + 110 days).

Thank you for using Astraweb!
    Looks like they are increasing it literally 1 day at a time.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast