Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disk Boot Failure: Should I swap SATA connections (Urgent).

Poster
    So I woke up today with a Disk Boot Error during start up. I only have on HDD, so I can't get into Windows at all. Using the XP CD to do a repair gave me a "Setup cannot find any hard drives on this syste." So I'm guessing the HDD is dead (only a few months old and without any explanation.)

Is there anything I can do to try get it to work? I've heard of swapping SATA connections (my HDD is in SATA 3 and I have SATA 4 open) could that work?

I have a lot of stuff on there that's ready for release and no back ups, so just getting the opportunity to be able to back that shit up would be great.

I'm expecting having to get a new HDD and start everything from scratch though. :/
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    Ive had this beforei it could be one of a few things. One that your boot sector has fucked up. two that your mobo is on it's way out. or three like you said your HDD is on it's way out.
    Your mobo bios would probably be beeping out something if it was on it's way out so chances are it might not be that. Best take out your sata connectors and put the them bk in. obv whilst the pc is off.
    Have you not got another pc you can try the other bits and bobs in? If you can take the HDD out with the sata connector and try it in another machine as a LOGIC not PRIMARY HDD.
    Like i said ive had this problem before and it's not actually been the HDD.

My name is Dan for the people who care!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I've taken out the connections and put them back and still nothing. The drive sounds like it's spinning but I can't tell about the sound of the fan. :/ It's so fucking annoying. I'm going away tomorrow for the week and I don't want to leave home with a brick waiting for me when I get back. :/

Motherboard just makes the initial beep when it powers up, but nothing ominous.

I've had totally random crashes with this system though, where it'll just restart for no apparent reason. I wonder if it was a faulty HDD all along.
    Last edited by Vamp; 12-29-2008 at 04:27 PM.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    well try putting it in another machine. if it works in another machine and you also get the POST beep from your current machine chances are it'll be the boot sector. All you need to do is format it, it's worked for me in the past.

My name is Dan for the people who care!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    K, so I just got a 320GB HDD to hold me over till I get my 500 replaced. I've partitioned it into a 50GB for OS and then the rest is going to all my work stuff/software and media for now.

When I get the 500GB, I'd like to move the work stuff over to that drive. Is there an easy way to do this? I imagine that simply copying and pasting everything over will cause problems in regards to software not functioning properly due to the move.

Would I have to reinstall everything again on the 500GB?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yes, you will.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Just curious if you have tried this http://askbobrankin.com/fix_mbr.html
    I've had this error in the past and its a fairly quick fix but it can be annoying..

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Windows Setup couldnt even detect an HD.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Frankthetank1's Avatar Über User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    reformat
    “Just because you’re miserable doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your life.”

DO NOT RANDOMLY PM ME ASKING FOR INVITES!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    So I got a new HD and had it formatted, ask the technician who installed the HD to partition it into two 50GB and 270GB parts. (320GB HD)

Now, one of my problems (along with the BSOD that 90% of the time causes XP to restart before it's even opened) is that it's not picking up the second partition and all that it finds is the 50GB. So that's 270GB (approximately) unaccounted for.

I think I've solved the BSOD problem, but what to do about the HD?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast