Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seagat 160 Gb

Poster
    So you mean it does make a big difference?
    Yes, it makes a difference.
    He asked if it makes a big difference.

Maybe slightly under some conditions but not enough to worry about.

Look at this link: Western Digital Ultra Edition 8 MB buffer
    Even that Ultra Edition 8 MB buffer drive uses Ultra ATA/100.

Anyway. ATA133 was just a strategy from Maxtor to try to 'win over' customers.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    If ATA133 is a marketing strategy from maxtor, then how come all the motherboard manufacturers are supporting it ? If interface speed is unimportant, why is the coming technology SATA150, with SATA300 coming next and even the proposed SATA600 ? And why is the current top end SCSI interface Ultra-320 ?

You said that the drives don't use that transfer speed. I repeat, that is absolute bullshit.

He asked if it made a big difference. Under certain conditions it can make a tremendous difference, but I pointed out the conditions under which it does not apply, and why other factors were also important.

The ATA interface supports command queueing (standard IDE does not) so that the drive can be seeking/reading the next block of data while the current block is being transferred. But the command cannot get to the drive if the ATA bus is busy transferring data. Current buffer/disk transfer speeds are approaching 100MB/s (and in excess of that for some of the new SATA drives), so the ATA100 interface just does not have the capacity to handle the potential traffic.

In any case, I generally find Maxtor drives to be less expensive than other manufacturers, so if the proce it right why not have a faster interface too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    I'm not going to argue with you. You think you know this stuff better that me, right?

It all comes down to the words I used. Since you won't see that is the case then there is no longer a point to this.

And I don't throw derogatory comments with large red font at you.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm sorry if I've upset you, but I tend to have a short fuse when I see misleading or inaccurate advice from people who I am pretty sure know better. Had you said that it is not worth paying extra for ATA133 over ATA100, I would not have argued, but to blatantly say that it isn't used was just plain wrong, and the person asking for the advice wouldn't know better.

I think we all need to remember that the people asking for advice here probably have little to no hardware experience, so it is important that those of us who do know about these things give accurate advice.

Nuff said as far as I'm concerned, matter closed.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Guys stop fighting here, basically my question was just about the price, if this is a good deal.

As for the drive it would be my 3rd seagate drive allready and I always had good experiences with them.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    "Nobody ever got sacked for buying Seagate" (I think the original said IBM, but the sentiment is still the same). I can't tell you if thats a good price for a Seagate, since my supplier only does SATA Seagate drives atm, but comparing prices of the nearest equivalents from other manufacturers I would say it is a pretty good deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12