Thread: Public trackers issues and their solutions

Leechers
    Speed
    Seed quality
    Trouble makers

If the above issues are dealt with public trackers will out beat private trackers any day.

Not to debase private trackers, but private trackers defeat the original purpose of bittorrent. Open access, easiness and sharing.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    actually they won't.. or at least not in my opinion (everyone has a right to their own opinion right)

yes you improve the overall quality and add a little more torrent moderation to public access trackers and they will take over ... i agree that much.. but what community will they take over ?

It will take over the newer fresher community, those not really in the "cliche" as it were. Yes "cliche" sounds like a minor community but the community im refering too is those that understand the real difference between private and public site.. the keyword is ACCESS!

everyone on this board will have read at least one article somewhere that describes how governing parties and such upload metadata files that track copyright protected content. 99% of these are uploaded to public sites, IMO thats because 1) user accts arent always needed and if they are its a lot easy to get many dupe accts on a public site AND 2) because of the sheer number of users public trackers attract compared to private ones.

What im getting too is private sites won't die out because people like the extra added layer of security they provide. You may see less fly by night sites opening up as it would be harder to get a new private site running but the established ones would still be able to keep a respectable peer level.

----------

also private trackers dont actually defeat the purpose of the bittorrent protocol. it was designed to allow large file transfers to take place in a manner that didnt rely constantly on a single source (i know theres more two it but i aint quoting bittorrent inc's mission statement lol).. private trackers do this dont they ? however they apply controls to this so everyone must share

one could argue private trackers stay truer to the protocols development objective because they aim to make you share the data rather than take the data and disconnect without sharing

i did aim to make a clear and consise post but as usual the effects of alcohol and lack of sleep have taken their tole once again. poke holes in this post and then i will filler them up later with what i originally meant to say lol

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    You may have forgotten the little matter of security in that original post.
    Go Leafs Go.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    Use nothing but public trackers and give us a report in 2010 on how it is better to use public trackers vs private. this subject has been posted many times here.
    Viruses-IP letters-what you will find...

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...c+tracker+help
    Quote Originally Posted by johny1 View Post
    Leechers
    Speed
    Seed quality
    Trouble makers

If the above issues are dealt with public trackers will out beat private trackers any day.

Not to debase private trackers, but private trackers defeat the original purpose of bittorrent. Open access, easiness and sharing.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    ... and the chinese invented the gunpowder.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 01-03-2009 at 04:41 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Leechers
    Speed
    Seed quality
    Trouble makers

You fix many leechers, slow speeds and poor seed quality by enforcing ratios with passkeys user names. You prevent trouble makers by restricting access to the site via invites or some other form of authentication. But hold on - didn't I just describe key features of a private tracker?

johny, if people could make their trackers more public while keeping all of the qualities that make private trackers great... they would do so... after all, more users - more money!

I don't think bittorrent is as easy as regular internet hosting... all you have to do is click on a link, while with bittorrent you have to handle .torrent files and pray to god (!) you get fast speeds. It is easier for Joe the Plumber to distribute a movie, though.

And I take offense to your accusation: private trackers only defeat one of the three purposes you provide: open access. Even so, not many people want bittorrent to be completely open. The original developer of bittorrent shouldn't decide the proper use of bittorrent, and user's like ourselves shouldn't adhere to the developer's protocol at the cost of our own interests. Doesn't that undermine the very decentralized and flexible nature of the bittorrent protocol? Even if open access were apart of the "original purpose of bittorrent", why does the protocol allow private torrents?
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-03-2009 at 05:24 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenya View Post
    Even if open access were apart of the "original purpose of bittorrent", why does the protocol allow private torrents?
    while i agree with everything you say thats incorrect. the private flag/bit is more of a agreed or implied part of the protocol. Torrent client developers added this to there clients (dunno who started it off, probably azureus) and it just became the norm... the private flag/bit is not part of the official bitorrent specification

not that whether it being official or not is of a great relevance to the point i was just bored