Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Real M4rduK

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by pone44 View Post
    If the other members claim to be CR's there and are not?

Then they should be Banned here as they have been lying to members-staff....
    If they guy is caught doing this, yes he will be banned. Anyone who claims to be staff and is not on the staff list IS NOT verified, not to say they are not staff but they are not yet verified. If someone claims that they are staff you guys feel free to PM me or any member of staff and ask us. We can usually verify them pretty quickly and let you know. Impersonating site staff is not something that is ok because it usually means the person is up to no good.

2. BitTorrent   -   #112
    bumrocks's Avatar Poster Roaster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    This was a most informative post. Some of it, but not much. Excellent example of site and user protection. For those that don't know him, this is an example of why he is where he is. There are those that on a whim might indeed PM the fake one here for help with login issues.

That being said...The fake one may have not necessarily been up to no good. But he knew exactly what name he was choosing. Who it represented. At the very least he wanted to appear to be somebody he is not. That is shitty enough in itself. Besides, alot of "crimes" can often be referred to as "crimes of opportunity". Just because he may not have signed up with the intentions of scamming people doesn't mean he wouldn't take advantage of someone down the road...That opportunity or alllure can be removed if the FST account was removed and given to the proper person. No, FST has no obligation to remove or delete that username...But I think it would nice and respectful if they did so since it could possibly help protect the sites users...The same users who are also members here.
    Anal is the only form of birth control shown to be 100% effective. Even abstinence failed once.

3. BitTorrent   -   #113
    ^^^ what he said.

4. BitTorrent   -   #114
    Quote Originally Posted by bumrocks View Post
    This was a most informative post. Some of it, but not much. Excellent example of site and user protection. For those that don't know him, this is an example of why he is where he is. There are those that on a whim might indeed PM the fake one here for help with login issues.

That being said...The fake one may have not necessarily been up to no good. But he knew exactly what name he was choosing. Who it represented. At the very least he wanted to appear to be somebody he is not. That is shitty enough in itself. Besides, alot of "crimes" can often be referred to as "crimes of opportunity". Just because he may not have signed up with the intentions of scamming people doesn't mean he wouldn't take advantage of someone down the road...That opportunity or alllure can be removed if the FST account was removed and given to the proper person. No, FST has no obligation to remove or delete that username...But I think it would nice and respectful if they did so since it could possibly help protect the sites users...The same users who are also members here.
    "For those that don't know him, this is an example of why he is where he is"

Please explain this

By that rationale you should have your username removed in case someone from bumrocks.com says they want it or if DJ Detale says I stole his name I should give it to him? Don't get me wrong as I said if the guy makes ANY attempt to try something shady I'll be the first one to ban him. As of now it isn't a real threat as he has 2 posts in 5 months. This thread is more harmful than that if you look at it like that

The thing is Real M4r you prob should have handeled this in private you or Jgg could have easily gotten me or another staff member here and let us know about this now if the guy wasn'tgoing to do something dodgy and his nick was coincidental he may do it now, know what I mean. I'm sure your intention was to help our users as you guys are pretty level headed and fair but get me on MSN when you have a chance and we'll see what we can do

5. BitTorrent   -   #115
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by bumrocks View Post
    No, FST has no obligation to remove or delete that username...But I think it would nice and respectful if they did so since it could possibly help protect the sites users...The same users who are also members here.
    Of course FST isn't obliged to reserve certain names for certain people, and personally I don't think they should delete it.

Firstly, this forum isn't just a Bittorrent forum, therefore I don't think names should be reserved for staff on private BT trackers.

Secondly, not every BT staff name is unique or uncommon. Sure, M4rduk is unique, but what about names like w00t, Brandon, or cia? They aren't uncommon, should they have to be reserved for staff?

Finally, users here should be wise enough to avoid being taken in a would-be scam perpetrated by someone 'borrowing' the nick of BT staff. If I'm not mistaken, you need to be registered here an entire month to be able to interact privately with other users. This should give a newbie ample time to figure out who's who, and if they decide to make a public thread before 30 days, then I'm sure a scam won't be allowed to take place in open public.

The staff here said they are open to questions about who is staff and who isn't, and they've said they would take reports of attempted scams, so I think it should just be left at that. Whether the name is obscure or not, I think snatching and reserving names at all is too infringing to be justified, seeing how difficult it would be for someone to pull a scam.

they didn't built Rome in one day

6. BitTorrent   -   #116
    bumrocks's Avatar Poster Roaster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    "For those that don't know him, this is an example of why he is where he is"

Please explain this

By that rationale you should have your username removed in case someone from bumrocks.com says they want it or if DJ Detale says I stole his name I should give it to him? Don't get me wrong as I said if the guy makes ANY attempt to try something shady I'll be the first one to ban him. As of now it isn't a real threat as he has 2 posts in 5 months. This thread is more harmful than that if you look at it like that
    I'm surprised that I would have to explain this...But here goes...

He is an admin of a site that that takes itself and its members security very seriously...This is an example of how he cares for the site and its security! He did not post this for non memebers. Realistically, not every member there is smart enough not to make a mistake that he is trying to deter. Realistically, even people who are smart and know better, occasionally have a brainfart and do stupid shit. It is an example of a smart guy in a lofty position at a top notch site. Obviously he is in that position, because he is smart enough to post an alert like this, to its members, IN PUBLIC and not privately to this sites admins...He killed lots of birds with one stone. You know and the sites members here know...

^^If this doesn't answer your question then what exactly does not make sense or what part do you not understand? I'm not being a smartass. I'm trying to help you understand the point I was trying to make.

On the rationale part...Your comments have no rationale...First there is no bumrocks torrent site. So that is a bad example. Or a bumrocks that admins at a torrent site. DJ Detale and Detale is a bad example because they are different names. We are discussing someone using a name exactly like someone else's and the security of the site that could be compromised if someone mistook him to be someone he was not.

As I said...Just because the guy does not appear to have bad intentions doesn't mean that it couldn't potentially be a problem down the road.

Maybe this might be an alternative...How about someone such as yourself, Detale, PM this guy/girl and ask them if they would care to give up there name...Offer them another one of their choice, without having to go through the whole signup process. Let them know they will be under scrutiny due to the problems that may occur in future if the keep this name...Something! I'm not saying or recommending they be strongarmed. If they are reasonable, respectful, understanding, and NOT trying to fool people they might just give up the name with little to no questions...This might not be the best or greatest idea but it is the only one I have seen recommended other than just stone cold taking the name...

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post
    .....I think snatching and reserving names at all is too infringing to be justified.......
    I was writing as you were posting...Might my last paragraph be a possible solution then? Hopefully, a possible resolution can be made with this guys blessing and agreement.
    Last edited by bumrocks; 01-06-2009 at 07:17 AM.
    Anal is the only form of birth control shown to be 100% effective. Even abstinence failed once.

7. BitTorrent   -   #117
    killercam101's Avatar count-dick ass BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    why not just give The Real M4rduK a title on FST or post a thread in ftw telling users of the real m4rduk on FST in case they encounter account problems in the future?

8. BitTorrent   -   #118
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Wow ... another 12 pages filled with 5 or 6 pertinent posts ... the rest is a good example of the way Bittorrent 'community' has evolved over time.

People see a name or an avatar they know from hear-say and guess what? The OP appears to be some kind of legend because he resides in a certain tracker most people know from the various top-tracker-ranking lists.

Socalled 'discussions' take place about the never-ending question involving the quality of the tracker in question, although the OP hasn't posted anything related to that at all.

Various others come with so-called 'good-advice' or just post some random bullshit to try and make an impression on the OP with the infantile hopes to get noticed by the OP and thus gain entrance into this tracker they would sell their mother for.

Just another day at FST, where BT meets the 'people'! I am really curious what the OP must be thinking after reading all this non-related jibberish.
    I know what I would think
    This board and many like these are a paradise for sociologists and I think it won't be long before people will actually come here to study and gain insight in the human psyche.

Nuff said ... and for the people posting after me ... yes, I know I just posted in this thread also and made my contribution to this 12-page-long pass-time
    Can you feel the LOVE

9. BitTorrent   -   #119
    @Bumrocks
    Thanks for clearing that up. He will be verified when I get a chance and I will ask him if he wishes to be put on the staff list or not. Honestly I think my acct is disabled due to inactivity but I'll find out tommorrow.

As far as my rational rationale goes dude you're arguing semantics and my point was clear. If its torrent related or not the name is the same and to ask someone to give up their name for someone "more important" is absurd ( no offense M4rduk but no one here is more important than the next guy)

LOL "potentially be a problem down the road"??? This is FST man if we had to get rid of every potential problem we came across there would be no members...or threads...shit it would turn into a knitting forum.

I am not going to Pm anyone asking that they give up there name, Feel free to ask him yourself though. You are suggesting harrasment by "letting him know" what are we the gestapo? I appreciate the points made but I think this is one of those times when moderating where less is more I feel like this is all blown out of proportion. Again I thank the OP for letting us know but it really doesn't need to go any further Than that. The guy isn't active if he were more active maybe my opinion would be different but 2 posts....5 months not a threat and he hasn't broken any rules. Think abot this you know that I am all about the members, but I'm not going to infringe on someone because his nick is inconveinent and possibly a problem.

10. BitTorrent   -   #120
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    And the concern is that someone signs up using a name of someone respected within the filesharing community must have an ulterior motive. What would you do if someone signed up as RedBeard?
    Hahaha, I'd actually find that quite flattering

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    While I agree that choice of usernames should be that, there has to be a line drawn whereby it becomes obvious that someone is abusing the good name of someone else (for whatever reason).
    If someone is actively impersonating someone else then yes, that is a problem that needs to be dealt with... but this guy has made two innocuous posts in 6 months.

I guess it may be a "honey-trap", waiting for PMs to come in, but as someone pointed out most of them would be of the form "Can I have an invite please" so it would probably be counter-productive anyway

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast