Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone fed my computers after midnight

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    OK so there are fucking gremlins in my house ATM running through both rigs at the same time. OK so I was doing fresh install on the main WC rig and so I had both computers set up in my living room when the kids were asleep. The Water cooled rig... well in short even with a hose clamp it came off while it was running and of course the hose pointed at a fan and pissed blue fluid all over. OK a setback shirley, but wait if you call withing the next 10 min...

Literally 10 min later, just as I finish cleaning up the mess in my living room. the HTPC rig Ive been using for now started acting odd. It restarted out of nowhere and I was getting multiple Blue screens I figured a fluke or power surge or something. I was trying to burn a copy of Windows 7 beta. I kept getting error message during the install

"Windows cannot copy files required for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070241"

I cant find any info really on it and Im too tired and frustrated to go looking now ARGH!! So I had to install vista 32(the only disk I had close by) to even get here to bitch. so here goes SONS OF BITCHES M)THER F*CK3RS! Ahh i feel better.

I did notice my rig seems really hot, not warm, but hot. The PSU is really warm (here is where I get yelled at) I had never gotten around to ordering another Corsair for the HTPC rig instead I used an old Rosewill 500 I had laying around I know I know. But the Ram seems warm as well and the NB is screaming hot!! I mean burn your finger hot. I plugged in a 80mm fan and have it leaning on it to cool it down for now.

Oh we're not done yet ladies and germs. I am feeling around for the hotspots and I have a scyth mini ninja cooler that I tried to feel behind and two of the crappy plastic pins popped out SON OF A BITCH. I litterally have the CPU cooler resting on the CPU ATM with only 2 pins pushed in. Im stunned to see that Speedfan shows the CPU temp between 38-43. Go mini Ninja

So looks like I'm going to have to do some unplanned shopping soon. On a budget since it's just aftre Xmas and Im outta work for about another 3 weeks I still don't know if anything is damaged from the water cooling accident but hopefully I can put some pieces together and get at least one decent rig working by tomorrow. I cant leave this one on too long for fear the temp will spike and ruin something here as well or catch fire and kill me in my sleep.

Another thing I just noticed is the CPU fan wasn't working anymore none of the fan headers are. hmmm maybe my board is partially fried?? What do you guys think???

EDIT: WOW I just realized i didn't post my specs

CASE Thermaltake DH102 Yeah bitches!!!

PSU Rosewill RP500-2 500W ATX12V v2.01 I know I know

MoBo GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L

Vid Card SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850

Ram G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)

HDD's Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB X2
    Last edited by Detale; 01-07-2009 at 09:03 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Jeez, you have the worst luck.
    I can't believe a hose- clamped with a wormdrive, no less- just popped off the barb and firehosed your PC.
    I mean, these pumps don't generate that much pressure to be exploding the loop like that.

As for the HTPC rig...
    When everything in the case is hot, I'd have to suspect the case itself.
    The PSU- crappy as it might be- might blow things but it shouldn't make them hot.

Maybe remove the guts and run it on the table...see if the overheating problem persists.

Good luck, dude.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Well... It wasn't exactly a worm drive
    Spoiler: Show

but it was on there tight. I did some reading and some say that the error code could be bad ram I ran memtest for about 6 hours and all is fine there.

You read my mind I have the top off of it right now but the NB is still screaming hot. The PSU is also warmer than I'd like too. I'm going to open it up and check the caps for any bulging and my fan headers are dead as door nails, but the USB headers are fine. I'm going to take the Corsair 620 out of the main rig today and put it in her and see what happens.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    That kind of clamp should work fine- hell, for years I just used zip ties and never had any trouble.

Sounding more and more as though the motherboard might be the root cause of this.
    Swapping out the PSU might confirm it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Again you read my mind. I was just coming back here to ask if anyone knew what the difference was between these two boards
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R
    and
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

Other than another PCI clot on the "P" model I cant seem to see it.

Considering I only have about $250 to spend I think Im goiing to wait on the PSU and use the 620HX I have. JG forums are so hard to navigate when I'm looking for a decent reasonably priced PSU.

Clocker do you have any idea what the minimum watts I would need are. This one was 500 watts and it lasted me about 4 years or so,helping out when it was needed, but now I have that fancy vid card in there so I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Detale; 01-07-2009 at 02:51 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    shit, bad luck you had over there.
    here in europe we use a different system to clamp the hoses, generated via vacuum, which in my point of view is way safer. When i see US built water systems, i also get a chill when i see clamps, though they must necessarily provide some kind of protection, though it never convinced me.
    About the pressure to explode a loop, i have it many times in consideration, and that's why time to time i open my water deposits so that the pressure can be released, and many times i noticed it had some on the system.
    Lucky you, that you had the system powered off from the chord, and you can dry out the components with an hair dryer, otherwise it would have been a disaster.
    good luck there mate, these things happen to us, custom builders

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks C, but the system was running when it blew. Please elaborate on this vaccuem you speak of for me please.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Thanks C, but the system was running when it blew. Please elaborate on this vaccuem you speak of for me please.
    it's a system where you actually plug the hose inside the connector to the waterblocks. Aquacomputer, alphacool and some other brands produce it that way. It's called Plug n' Cool.
    let me get you some pics:

http://www.coldzero.pt/coldzero/Produto.asp?Artigo=2085

here in this shop you can find most of what i am talking about, though also barb connectors can be found.
    These are mostly german brands.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Hmmm but what holds the hose in place? How is a vacuum created in there?

Ahh Its not exactly a vacuum its more like a cable connector if anyone here has ever done any Cable work

The Aqua Computer Plug & Cool fitting is a special "push-in" fitting that uses the quick release method of securing a water tube. The Plug & Cool fitting is easy to use as it simply requires the plastic locking top to be depressed inward as you insert your tubing. When the tubing is inserted all the way in to the base of the fitting the Plug & Cool will lock it down and keep the tube locked into place until you press the lock top inward again and pull the tube out at the same time. Plug & Cool fittings are for use with Aqua Computer products using 6mm inside diameter (ID) x 8mm outside diameter (OD) tubing. The tubing for a quick release fitting such as this must be firm and relatively hard for the best protection against leaks. This fitting is also fit with a 1/8" BSP (British Standard Pipe) parallel thread which makes it compatible with Aqua Computer hardware. The rubber o-ring ensures no leaks on the threaded side when this fitting is tightened down and the rubber compresses

Pretty cool but I wonder if I can find the MM conversion for a 5/8" OD hose. I think I may just spend some money and get compression fittings from bitspower
    Last edited by Detale; 01-07-2009 at 10:40 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    yes, once you insert the hose, it's nearly impossible to remove it. It has a pressure zone to remove the vacuum and easily take out the hose.
    me and a friend were trying to forcefully remove a hose from such a plug, and it was needed 2 guys with brute force to put it out.
    pretty safe imo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast