Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about tracker domains

Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think tracker staff does that to help claim they are nonprofit organizations to avoid problems if they get busted, because infringement for profit is much more serious. In actuality, it probably makes no difference. Most trackers are under-informed about the legality of what they operate and their terms of service do not insulate them.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster
    i always assumed it was for security also , i spose for the more 'secret' trackers its to avoid idiots guessing there url and telling the whole world

e.g say a tracker is called supersecretsite , a dipshit will probably just attempt the url supersecretsite.org/com/net

when its actually supersecretsite.in

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    hagckz0r's Avatar Dreams Come True BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    From my knowledge there is not a very big difference between .com or .org for example. The name of a tracker might sound well, have a bigger impact if it chosen accordingly.

Between .com or other .org, .net it is said it might exist a difference of SEO(search engine optimization). .com domains seem to be better indexed by the search engines.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    ConkiZz's Avatar Arrrgh! BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    The price, thats the different.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by hagckz0r View Post
    From my knowledge there is not a very big difference between .com or .org for example. The name of a tracker might sound well, have a bigger impact if it chosen accordingly.

Between .com or other .org, .net it is said it might exist a difference of SEO(search engine optimization). .com domains seem to be better indexed by the search engines.
    Untrue, all domains are indexed equally. 'dot-com' simply is the most popular.

they didn't built Rome in one day

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by hagckz0r View Post
    That would be pretty unfair for the emerging sites, since already established sites would have already hogged up every decent .com domain name for themselves.

It would be anti-competitive for the search engines to prefer .com domains over others. But I'm sure that isn't the compelling reason, though. Google, et al try their best to write algorithms to determine the quality of the website, because searchers are looking for the best information. The extension isn't a qualifier, because it doesn't determine the quality of the site. It may be an indicator, probabilistically; but it isn't anything determinant.

I still have the perception that .info's are a little less ...professional than .com's.
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-09-2009 at 02:13 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    hagckz0r's Avatar Dreams Come True BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Integral & Brenya - I hope it to be as you say, but from what I have read the .com domain seems to be more attractive for the 'public' and for the search engines. Anyway I'm not gonna argue too much about that, I really don't have any interest for domains.

.info seems pretty shitty to me too

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    flashback3r's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Yeah, I think it's much cooler with .net and .org because it's meant for organizations and networks lol

.com stands for commercial and I don't like that kind of piracy

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    We chose .info for a few reasons
    1. It was cheap at the time
    2. It really fit in with the name we selected
    3. With .info standing for information we also thought it fitting as we not only wanted to provide torrents for people but also are willing to give them the info they need about them as well as help and support in getting things running wether or not the a n00b or an experienced user
    Some info from wikipedia about the .info extension

.info (.information) is a generic top-level domain intended for informative websites, although its use is not restricted. It was a part of ICANN's highly publicized announcement, in late 2000, of a phased release of seven new generic top-level domains (gTLDs). The event was billed as the first addition of major gTLDs to the Internet since the DNS was developed in the 1980s. The seven new gTLDs, selected from over 180 proposals, were meant in part to take the pressure off the overcrowded .com domain.
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    RedRansom's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    .com coming from (commercial) and "Intended use Company entities (worldwide)" so i guess no one want to call own tracker as a company and commercial huh?
    Last edited by RedRansom; 01-09-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast