Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about tracker domains

redMonster's Avatar Flying Without Wings BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I have a very simple question. I am sure most of you know that .com is the most commonly used domain on the internet. Why are almost none of the private trackers hosted on a .com domain. Most trackers use .org and .net or some other domain, but not .com. What is the reason for this?

Is there some kind of security or privacy issue involved. Are .com domains more dangerous for hosting something like a private torrent tracker considering that most public trackers are hosted on .com?
    Click here if you want to join TTC

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    one of the biggest trackers out there is hosted on a .com domain so i think there is no problem

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    I'm guessing most just follow suit from other trackers. There is no real advantage to registering a .org domain over a .com one, unless the .com one happens to already be taken.

they didn't built Rome in one day

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    redMonster's Avatar Flying Without Wings BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Tudor View Post
    one of the biggest trackers out there is hosted on a .com domain so i think there is no problem
    which one are you talking about? arenabg??

Keep in mind that I am only talking about private trackers.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    demonoid

you can register there . btw it's quite a good question
    Last edited by Swift; 01-08-2009 at 03:02 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I always thought it was to be more secure, because .com is mostly American where hosting trackers or warez is illegal. But I don't think the domain would tie in to the tracker itself but who knows, the MPAA and RIAA (or whatever) is on everyone's ass these days.
    Last edited by KushBlow; 01-08-2009 at 03:10 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Does it matter where the domain belongs to? The place of hosting matters in terms of the web hosting company, not the domain company, am I right?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Some times it is due to the name of the site i.e. the .extension figures as part of the name other times a .info might be on offer at a lot less than a .com etc.
    If people want the info about who owns the site it can be found if they have not paid for it to be private and then I am sure the authorities could get hold of the info.
    We selected the extension as it fit in right for the name and at the time was lucky that extension was on offer and avaliable
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    nsk's Avatar Sharer BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Is it not to do with what the domains actually mean?

for example .org is supposed to be for a non profitable organisation.

.net = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.net

etc etc.
    Last edited by nsk; 01-08-2009 at 05:31 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    From the .net wiki

.net is one of the original top-level domains (despite not being mentioned in RFC 920), created in January 1985. It was initially intended to be used only for the computers of network providers (such as Internet service providers). However, there are no formal restrictions on who can register a .net domain name. Therefore, while still popular with network operators, it is often treated as a second .com. It is currently the third most popular top-level domain, after .com and .de.
    I didn't know that .de was the second most popular domain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast