Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Of My...

Forum Star
    i quite like the idea, although i never really d/l music, but i suppose misnamers would have a field day

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    BANNED
    Originally posted by pol@12 September 2003 - 06:19
    i quite like the idea, although i never really d/l music, but i suppose misnamers would have a field day
    i would have to agree with you on that it would be fun has hell, but wait people are doing right now on klite and its hell

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Forum Star
    i would have to agree with you on that it would be fun has hell, but wait people are doing right now on klite and its hell
    why are you a misnamer ??

what i meant was it would be hard if not impossible to preview your d/l's

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    BANNED
    Originally posted by pol@12 September 2003 - 06:28
    why are you a misnamer ??

what i meant was it would be hard if not impossible to preview your d/l's
    why would it be hard to preview your downloads?? and i'm not a misnamer, i was saying its going on right now and its hell and as fc put it when you use a make sure you follow with other wise it means you are serious

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+12 September 2003 - 10:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 12 September 2003 - 10:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-exeus@12 September 2003 - 03:38
    encryption can take hours days weeks months years to break it all depends on the amount of cpu power you are willing to put into it but for them i would say it would take a few weeks for them to break it
    once you have the source code for the program that is doing the encryption, its easy to break those codes as you kinda have the key to them, if i&#39;m wrong please excuse me, but that is how i understood it [/b][/quote]
    i know it makes it easyer but by how much i do not know for sure as it has been ages since i have had anything to do with encryption but the main prob is it only takes one person to pass their key on knowingly or othewise and it is all over

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Forum Star
    well i dont know sh*t about encryption (was it that obvious ) but i thought that having such a level encryption would make it difficult to preview

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    BANNED
    Originally posted by pol@12 September 2003 - 07:06
    well i dont know sh*t about encryption (was it that obvious ) but i thought that having such a level encryption would make it difficult to preview
    oh well with out the source code good luck but since you would encrypte it and then send it to me i would need to take the encryption off and if we can do it then so can anybody else if we are talking about sharing around the globe

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    It depends on how the encryption is applied, in the Fasttrack sense the encryption is a single key that everyone has and uses, so of course the key is easy to copy and use. With decently implemented encryption, everyone has their own key and a public key and then the receiver has another key, anyway it gets complicated, but the long and the short of it is that encryption is pretty secure. I&#39;m sure the intelligence services do research into cracking the keys, but even they would probably have to really want the encrypted information. If its the riaa your worrying about, they can&#39;t do anything.
    Read up about waste if u really want to see how encryption could be implemented. Waste isn&#39;t that great though maybe if it had carried on being developed it would have been a major p2p app.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    I hate to contribute to an idea dubbed "stupid", but I believe it has some merit, however limited, even in theory.

So here goes:

We use a hybrid public key/private key encryption protocol with algorithms that we all know and trust to be secure, lets say we use public keys with 4096-bit DH/DSS, and use these to generate session keys for a private key cipher like AES (Rijndael 256-bit).

We also use a secure key server which will handle the creation, and distribution of keys, and will also be responsible for revoking keys.

This is very secure and only people with the appropriate private keys can decrypt the data if its encrypted, however, anyone can encrypt data using only the public keys, which we can give away. Also, anyone can distribute the encrypted data, without being able to decrypt it.

So now, theoretically, all we need to do is trust someone enough to to give them the private keys for certain files. These can be exchaged for levels of "trust".

We can then use this system to allow anyone to download anything they want, they just wont be able to decrpyt it unless they are trusted by some centralised or distributed authority (this function can be distributed, and may consist of peers).

Perhaps this stretches the term "peer", but people could then set-up "trust" levels, and peers would be judged based on those. Anyone using a file downloaded using this method to prosecute someone would have their trust levels dropped and their keys revoked, and would therefore have to undergo the length process of building up trust. Those files would also then become impossible to decrypt for new downloaders unless someone encrypts them again with a different key.

People could earn trust in a number of ways, like contributing more material to the library of copyrighted material already available, or something like that.

Hmm, maybe this is better restricted to the socpe of a theoretical implementation

Monica

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    BANNED
    great theory but it will never happen, to much involvement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast