Thread: Astraweb Trumps Giganews' Retention

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    When people discuss quality newsgroup servers, Giganews and Astraweb are usually the focus of conversation. Giganews is well known for its high level of retention and rock solid service. Retention is the measure of time that an article stays on a news server. Downtime is virtually unheard of with their service, and the 240 days of retention ensures a wide range of available services. Astraweb is also known as a high quality service, however, its retention is more on par with the likes of Usenet Server - or at least were.

As primary newsgroup providers and not resellers, Astraweb and Giganews hold a unique place in the Usenet marketplace. Giganews has been able to justify its rather expensive subscription because of its lengthy retention, but now, it has a serious competitor. Astraweb is upgrading their service and will challenge Giganews' long held reign as the newsgroup provider with the longest retention.

"Astraweb is pleased to announce that we have just completed an infrastructure upgrade to increase our retention and improve our network. Our retention is currently growing towards 270 days from 160 days."

Whether Astraweb will reach this goal before a counter-move by Giganews is debatable. On Christmas Eve, Giganews had reported 'unprecedented' growth, which based on empirical evidence, appears to be a legitimate claim. Giganews is currently going through a massive upgrade, and longer retention is only a short time a way. Considering they're already at approximately 240 days, it's not a stretch to imagine they can add at least 30 days to beat Astraweb. Giganews has already announced retention times "well beyond" 240 days.

In any event, expectations on Giganews will be high. For $29.95 a month, you’re paying for 240 days of retention, high quality service, and 20 connections. With Astraweb, you’re paying only $15 a month for eventually 270 days retention, comparable service, and 20 connects. Still, Giganews customers will be anticipating a compelling reason to stay on board once the next round of upgrades are complete

Source: http://www.slyck.com/story1816_Astra...news_Retention

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    And to think that I signed up with Astraweb a few months back with the $11/month price lock for life. This is just beautiful news! I’ll pray nightly that Astraweb sticks around and continues to provide such excellent service!

I give credit to Giganews also. I was using their service for a short time before switching to Atraweb. You just cannot pass up the Astraweb deal though… good luck to both them!

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    i would stay with astrabweb considering the upgrade and half the price of giganews
    Last edited by jiajin; 01-07-2009 at 12:58 AM.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    Quote Originally Posted by delimare View Post
    And to think that I signed up with Astraweb a few months back with the $11/month price lock for life. This is just beautiful news! I’ll pray nightly that Astraweb sticks around and continues to provide such excellent service!

I give credit to Giganews also. I was using their service for a short time before switching to Atraweb. You just cannot pass up the Astraweb deal though… good luck to both them!
    me too. 11 bucks a month for that kind of retention is a crime heh