Thread: Country Legend Cash Dies

Country legend Cash dies

Singer Johnny Cash, one of country music's most enduring stars, has died in the US. He was 71.
    Cash died in hospital in Nashville, Tennessee, his manager said. He had recently suffered a stomach complaint and spent time in hospital.

He became an icon of American country music from the 1950s, with songs such as I Walk the Line and Ring of Fire.

His wife June Carter Cash, with whom he had recorded many songs, died earlier this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3103164.stm

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Country legend Cash dies

Singer Johnny Cash, one of country music's most enduring stars, has died in the US aged 71.
    Cash died in hospital in Nashville, Tennessee, his manager said. He had recently suffered a stomach complaint and spent time in hospital.

He became an icon of American country music from the 1950s, with songs such as I Walk the Line and Ring of Fire.

His wife June Carter Cash, with whom he had recorded many songs, died earlier this year.

Cash was regarded as one of the most important figures in country music, in a career that spanned six decades.

He become as famous for his image as an outlaw figure, famous for playing prisons and creating the myth of the Man in Black, his semi-official nickname.

Cash's albums included Folsom Prison Blues, a 1968 live album recorded at a jailhouse concert.

Cash, who sang in a gruff, baritone voice, had hits in the 1960s with Ring of Fire and A Boy Named Sue.

He finished performing in 1997, but continued recording albums, most recently American IV: The Man Comes Around, which featured covers of contemporary artists.

One of the first to pay tribute was Jan Flederu of his European fan club.

He told BBC News 24: "He had a great voice, and was a great inspiration to all country fans.

"He sang about farmers and the working people - and that's what we all do, so the songs are common to all the people in the whole world.

"His music will go on forever, just like Elvis."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3103164.stm

3. Lounge   -   #3
    BANNED
    I just LOVED that guy, that's so sad!

4. Lounge   -   #4
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    RIP Johnny Cash.
    I'm a big fan.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1

6. Lounge   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    A giant in the truest sense of the word.

He fought so hard-

One of my heroes.

R.I.P.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    gutted is the only word that comes to mind.
    i loved him to bits.
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51

8. Lounge   -   #8
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    I have enjoyed Johnny Cash's music since the late 60's, when I was just 4 years old, as my father, a huge fan to say the least, would play his music non-stop....what memories.

He walked the line for nearly 50 years, every inch of his journey through the country, gospel, folk and rock worlds etched into his face.

The journey ended early Today. Weakened in recent years by diabetes, glaucoma, asthma and a chronic nervous-system disorder, Cash died at a Nashville hospital of respiratory failure, the result of diabetes. He was 71.

He was a legend for sure, but more than that, he was able, through his uniqueness, to draw the attention of even the non-country music fan - a deed not to easily accomplished.

He will be remembered by this Cash fan, and continue to bring me pleasure through his everlasting recordings.

Thank you for allowing us to have participated in your journey. RIP

CrumbCat

FYI:

Cash's beloved wife and worthy musical partner, June Carter Cash, died nearly four months ago, succumbing May 15 at Baptist Hospital, days after heart-valve surgery. She was 73. As he was in life, Cash was at her side in death.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4

beautifully put c.c.
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51