Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: public trackers?

jezemy's Avatar Poster
    They finally pulled through for me . I was trying to download Guitar Hero 3 for the Mac. I tried Brokenstones and Demonoid. Both pulled up pathetic speeds of about 30kb/s. Torrenttracker found a Piratebay torrent, and voila! speeds of about 500kb/s. I can now get in 5hrs as apposed to 3 days. This is what I don't understand. Surely those on private trackers have more of an obligation to seed at faster speeds and it is in their best interests? It is beneficial both ways: leechers get files quicker and their ratios get boosted quicker. Why are the speeds so slow then sometimes.
    Last edited by jezemy; 01-11-2009 at 10:22 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by jezemy View Post
    Surely those on private trackers have more of an obligation to seed at faster speeds and it is in their best interests? It is beneficial both ways: leechers get files quicker and their ratios get boosted quicker. Why are the speeds so slow then sometimes.
    Peers on private trackers are more obliged to keep seeding, but that doesn't mean that peers on public trackers aren't. People like seeding... it's just a matter of keeping utorrent on... especially when there's little risk.

When I used to have a decent connection, I would seed Linux distributions just for the hell of it. I guess that's how it is for all torrent files to citizens of countries like Sweden, who couldn't care less about copyright infringement.
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-11-2009 at 10:48 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    jezemy's Avatar Poster
    Good to know. It seems that the theory that all humans are ultimately selfish might not be completely true

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Good to know. It seems that the theory that all humans are ultimately selfish might not be completely true
    On the biological level we have to; but on the psychological level I guess we don't...
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-12-2009 at 02:18 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    vpg8000's Avatar Your mom's fave BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Out of all the public trackers, TPB is by far the fastest for me. Granted I haven't used many (actually none) as of late.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Why are the speeds so slow then sometimes.
    because the torrent you mentioned is 6 month old with 3 seeder. you can easily max out 50mbit on well seeded new torrents at bs. try that on tpb.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    bentomans's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    it's not up to public or private but it's up peers and your speed .

Private:
    - Seeder : 1 (seedbox)
    - Your connection : Home ... you can get 10 kbps but if your connection is Seedbox then you can get 100 mbps

Public:
    - Seeder : 20(nonseedbox)
    - Your connection : Home ... you can get 1024 kbps but your connection is Seedbox then you can get 2 mbps

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    It's the luck of the draw, that's all.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by bentomans View Post
    Private:
    - Seeder : 1 (seedbox)
    - Your connection : Home ... you can get 10 kbps but if your connection is Seedbox then you can get 100 mbps
    nonsense. if you leech from a 100mbit seedbox you'll most likely max out your home connection. you don't need a seedbox to benefit from another seedbox. who told you that?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    nonsense. if you leech from a 100mbit seedbox you'll most likely max out your home connection. you don't need a seedbox to benefit from another seedbox. who told you that?
    What he said. As long as you're connectable.
    Now go away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast