Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: waffles ?

Time-Traveller's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo Da Kid View Post
    I think you can modify your ipod to play flac files. There was a thread/tutorial about this in BTmusic. I haven't tried it yet.

ps. welcome to the family Gekko. Good to see you in here as well.

Register on the head-fi.org forums and check out the Portable Source Gear board within the Equipment forums, it's without doubt the best resource on the net for all your audio answers & as somebody mentioned earlier rockbox can make your IPOD do lots of things but if you don't use high end in ear phones it's still gonna sound like a goose farting in the fog

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Time-Traveller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo Da Kid View Post
    I think you can modify your ipod to play flac files. There was a thread/tutorial about this in BTmusic. I haven't tried it yet.

ps. welcome to the family Gekko. Good to see you in here as well.

Register on the head-fi.org forums and check out the Portable Source Gear board within the Equipment forums, it's without doubt the best resource on the net for all your audio answers & as somebody mentioned earlier rockbox can make your IPOD do lots of things but if you don't use high end in ear phones it's still gonna sound like a goose farting in the fog
    Backs what i said up if u use shit equipment it will always sound shit regardless of what format u play it in.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenya View Post
    I can't understand why people would download a file 5 times as large for a negligible increase in sound quality.

Some people must simply have better ears than me.

If a codec ever comes out that is significantly better than MP3-V0... let me know, and I'll just redownload it .
    Everyone has their own opinion on the subject, and it does get a little tiring at times. But get yourself at least a half way descent system(along with a nice pair of cans), as Villa pointed, and you should most definitely be able hear a difference. If you're not really into music though...the type that downloads the latest teenage pop or emo album just to listen on their ipod on their walk to school or at lunch...or something like that, then I wouldn't really bother with it. Since nice setups can get pretty expensive, and not really worth it if you're only going to listen here and there. If you're not this type of person though, then give it a shot. I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Not only is lossless music my most downloaded files because of the quality, I also like converting the files to 320 myself for when I put music on and listen to my mp3 player. I feel better converting it from source than grabbing someone else's already converted upload. I guess it's piece of mind.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    p0ster
    Quote Originally Posted by AniStoned View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KushBlow View Post

No but it works.
    That's just a fake page, KushBlow is correct of course.

What's much easier to get in so if you've got What then Waffles isn't much for you if you aren't going for their 'Iron Waffles' 100% FLAC rips.
    You do realize the irons simply check logs, right?
    They do that automatically at what.cd, though I guess you'd feel more 'comfortable' having it done by a real person

Also, even with the best gear, MOST people cannot hear any difference. Most of the people who claim to hear differences are posers. Misinformation at this forum is astounding.

FLACs are generally downloaded for archival purposes (you have a lossless copy, verses a lossy codec that might/will become obsolete. You can burn perfect discs. etc)

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    what's logchecker isn't the best btw.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by tX View Post
    Also, even with the best gear, MOST people cannot hear any difference. Most of the people who claim to hear differences are posers. Misinformation at this forum is astounding.
    You have just astounded me, do you have a link where I can find your research that led you to this conclusion or did you just make it up ?

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by tX View Post
    You have just astounded me, do you have a link where I can find your research that led you to this conclusion or did you just make it up ?
    the keyword is most.

visit hydrogenaudio.org and look at the results of their listening tests. most have a hard time ABX-ing lame V5 with a high anchor.

people who claim they can hear differences rarely back it up with proof.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by piratebot View Post

the keyword is most.

visit hydrogenaudio.org and look at the results of their listening tests. most have a hard time ABX-ing lame V5 with a high anchor.

people who claim they can hear differences rarely back it up with proof.
    It's one of those things that's virtually impossible to back up with proof short of wiring the listener up to a brain scan to see the subtle differences in brain activity when listening sources of varying quality as it's totally subjective to the individual listener and of course the placebo effect has to be taken into account.

I thought that hydrogen audio is a well respected infobase for audiophiles but if they are spouting nonsense about not being able to tell the difference between a high anchor & V5 (110 to 150 kbps) then I'd have to reconsider, try listening to 128kbps track and V0 track I know for a fact there is a audible difference and this is without bringing flac into the equation

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    I thought that hydrogen audio is a well respected infobase for audiophiles but if they are spouting nonsense about not being able to tell the difference between a high anchor & V5 (110 to 150 kbps) then I'd have to reconsider, try listening to 128kbps track and V0 track I know for a fact there is a audible difference and this is without bringing flac into the equation
    tell me how you know for a fact. i'm curious to see how you back this up.
    Last edited by piratebot; 01-14-2009 at 05:19 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by piratebot View Post
    tell me how you know for a fact. i'm curious to see how you back this up.
    Dead simple I can hear the difference in sound quality, it's kinda like the difference between a standard TV and a HD one, an HD source on the HD TV just has a clearer picture, fact,

However I can't prove it to someone who can't tell the difference
    Last edited by Time-Traveller; 01-14-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast