Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: waffles ?

Quote Originally Posted by mamacita View Post
    I do actually. I've been listening to V0's on my ipod at work for a long time now. I've got a couple V2s on there, and every time they pop up I can tell a difference. In fact, a lot of the times I find myself turning the volume up a notch with the V2s hit.
    i have had the same experience....and this has happened with my high end cans as well as some mediocre iem's as well as airplane headsets and my home stereo as well

although its not a factor of volume....more a factor of hearing minor discrepancys not really enough to make a sound difference but enough to annoy me a little
    Last edited by johall; 01-15-2009 at 08:26 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by piratebot View Post
    I would love to see some of you perform a proper ABX test with V2 and V0.

Just because you have high end equipment, doesn't mean you are automatically able to distinguish such differences. placebo
    Quoted for truth.

The difference between V2 and V0 is negligable. Look at the transcode diagrams if you want to see the cut off point...
    Also remember that the human ear can only hear up to 20KHz even for the best people...
    Most people can only hear up to 19KHz.

If you're over 30 you're going to have trouble telling the difference between 128 and V2 to be honest.

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    Time-Traveller's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lhnz View Post
    If you're over 30 you're going to have trouble telling the difference between 128 and V2 to be honest.
    Wrong, conversion to MP3 leaves the track sounding tinny, hollow and just missing something.
    Last edited by Time-Traveller; 01-15-2009 at 09:11 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    mamacita's Avatar Tarding is bad!! BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    If you're over 30 you're going to have trouble telling the difference between 128 and V2 to be honest
    And I'm 25, so what's the point

My dad is 60, and he wont even touch mp3s, as the quality nags the hell out of him.
    Last edited by mamacita; 01-15-2009 at 09:16 PM.
    Kindness goes a long way!

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    If you're over 30 you're going to have trouble telling the difference between 128 and V2 to be honest
    And I'm 25, so what's the point

My dad is 60, and he wont even touch mp3s, as the quality nags the hell out of him.
    Honestly buddy your wasting your time the younger ones just don't get it

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    mamacita's Avatar Tarding is bad!! BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Cheers.

T-T, you should enable PMs, or PM me some contact info.
    Kindness goes a long way!

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    Cheers.

T-T, you should enable PMs, or PM me some contact info.
    I can't yet my man been here less than a week, still a good 3 weeks till I'm trusted with that kind of power

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    ignorance is bliss.

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Time-Traveller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lhnz View Post
    Wrong, conversion to MP3 leaves the track sounding tinny, hollow and just missing something.
    You're old but you are not wise.

A tiny bit of background reading:
    The range of hearing for a healthy young person is 20-20,000 Hz. The hearing range of humans gets worse with age. People lose the ability to hear sounds of high frequency as they get older. The highest frequency that a normal middle-aged adult can hear is only 12,000-14,000 Hz.
    Source: http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/ChrisDAmbrose.shtml
    Now take a look at some formats:

This is a FLAC, as you can see the frequency goes all the way up to the maximum 20,000 Hz that a young adult might hear. Obviously somebody older than this is not going to be able to hear the extra detail...

This is an MP3 encoded with the V0 preset. As you can see it goes all the way up to 19,000Hz. Little detail is lost.

This is an MP3 encoded with the V2 preset. As you can see it goes up to 18,000 Hz.

This is a 128 CBR MP3. It only goes up to 16,000 Hz and sounds awful to younger listeners... However, if you remember from earlier that the highest frequency that a normal middle-aged adult can hear is only 12,000-14,000 Hz you should be able to see that actually they are unlikely to be able to tell the difference between it and FLAC.

Now, obviously you won't just lose your hearing with the click of a finger, but as you get older you're slowly going to lose that higher definition, and eventually that huge collection of FLAC you've amassed is going to just be a joke because you'll no longer be able to hear the difference between it and 128 CBR.

Take a listen on this webpage: http://ultrasonic-ringtones.com/
    Or here if you want to take a proper listening test and have the time: http://www.digital-recordings.com/he...ht_help_p.html
    Take a listen and find out at what point you can't hear the highest frequency. I'm 21, and can only hear up to 19Khz. This means that even with the best audiophile equipment I would not be able to tell the difference between a FLAC and a V0.
    I'm not even bad, either. I've only ever gone to about 3 or 4 loud concerts in my life, and barely ever use an mp3 player, so I do not have extremely damaged hearing...
    The people that are going to have the worst hearing are those much older than me, as the blurb I quoted said. The irony is that these are also the people buying expensive audiophile equipment and creating FLACs that their ears are no longer good enough to hear.

P.S: This is of course not including distortion of the sound sometimes caused by lossy encoding, however nowadays bad cases of this are few and far between...
    Last edited by lhnz; 01-15-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: messed up bbcode

10. BitTorrent   -   #50
    It's not just the frequency range that determines sound quality it's the compression technique used and more factors already mentioned a couple of pages back until you get that through your thick head you won't be able to see past the whole frequency range thing

You can copy and paste as many spectrum analysis charts as you like but they won't convince me I can't tell the difference when I clearly can 128 to V2 & V2 to V0 is quite easy for me to differentiate between V0 to CD is harder but the difference is there remember not everything you get from listening to music is in audible range.

Ever heard the phrase feeling the music ?

*Edit*

K I can also hear upto 19Khz through that test with shitty 50 quid Sony headphones plugged into my soundblaster X-Fi and I'm more than 10 years older than you so that doesn't really prove anything either way does it.
    Last edited by Time-Traveller; 01-15-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast