Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 72

Thread: why do people invite others?

  1. #1
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    behind the turntables
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,658
    inviting people to private bittorrent trackers always comes with a certain risk. depending on the tracker you might get a warning, get disabled or even the whole invite tree may lose their accounts.

    why do people take that risk? why does one put the future of his own account into the hand of others?

    there are two main factors that motivates people to do or not to do something hence to make a decision. one is avoidance of negative consequences, the other is personal benefit.

    you can divide inviters into three main groups:


    1. traders

    their motivation is really simple to explain. they invite people in exchange for invites or accounts to other sites. this benefit outbalances all negative consequences for them. disabled accounts, hiding from staff, inviting cheaters, getting banned etc. aren't a problem for them. as long as the trade partner delivers the promised good, they really don't care.

    2. the public giveaways

    people who make public giveaways do it to get recognition and a reputation in invite forums. they consciously break tracker rules as well and don't care much about who they invite either. their benefits are rep points and (from their point of view) a better chance to be considered in their next request for invites or a giveaway they take part in. because of this somehow delayed expected exchange the benefit isn't an instant one. the proportion of negative consequences and benefit is more balanced. that's why they ask for screenshots and other proofs from the strangers they invite.

    group one and two have one thing in common. they are both looking for invites to other sites. this leads us two group three. it's hard to find a name for them. let's call them:

    3. the ones who have what they need.

    this group of bittorrent users have the weakest motivation of them all. they're not looking for invites to other trackers. most are satisfied and often long time members of the best sites. their only benefit is to bring someone who they like and trust to the site. you might call it a favour without something in return. the risk they are willing to take is much higher than their personal benefit. that's why they'd never invite strangers or people they don't know and trust. invites are given in private and as a gift without any need for publicity. they'd rather keep their invites forever than risk their accounts with a bad invitee. the possible negative consquences clearly overrule the personal benefits. that's why they hardly invite people (anymore).


    of course this is stereotyped thinking. we're all individuals. the boundaries are blurred. i just explained the main motivations to invite people from my point of view based on the observation i made over the years.

  2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    vic's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    174
    it was nice reading though i discovered nothing new .

  3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    meelad's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    234
    I disagree with number 2. Those who do public giveaways are not always looking for rep points or invites to more sites. Many people giveaway in the spirit of sharing.

  4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    i see myself as point 3 you made.

    I've received 3 invites from giveaways on a trackers power user & elite forum, all have good ratios and used daily.

    I've given 2 invites away (GA) at the same place and the two i have invited still haven't used their account.

    Result: i'm not inviting anyone i don't know on my better trackers

  5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    BANNED BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    72
    Posts
    682
    i do invite ppl and most of the time its the ppl that i dont know good or even dont know at all. i invite em i belive first of all cuz i dont take all that "private" tracker too close to my heart and the second one if i can make some1 more happy id like to do it

    but also theres a bad aspect - for example ive invited 6 ppl for very good tracker in my country. all of em sweared to me that they will use tracker once a week at least. but what i saw? only 2 of em have a very good ratio and the most bad thing is only 1 of em use it very well like he promised. thats it

  6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    State of Grace
    Posts
    29,114
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptanAmerica View Post
    i do invite ppl and most of the time its the ppl that i dont know good or even dont know at all. i invite em i belive first of all cuz i dont take all that "private" tracker too close to my heart and the second one if i can make some1 more happy id like to do it
    Captain how seriously do have to take something to obey a couple simple rules?

    Although I agree that the desire to "help" people can be a highly motivating factor.Especially if someone did the same for you in the past.

    Of course some people will just not understand the validity of that statement.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 01-14-2009 at 12:31 PM.

  7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    BANNED BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    72
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptanAmerica View Post
    i do invite ppl and most of the time its the ppl that i dont know good or even dont know at all. i invite em i belive first of all cuz i dont take all that "private" tracker too close to my heart and the second one if i can make some1 more happy id like to do it
    Captain how seriously do have to take something to obey a couple simple rules?

    Although I agree that the desire to "help" people can be a highly motivating factor.Especially if someone did the same for you in the past.

    Of course some people will just not understand the validity of that statement.
    i ddnt get about witch simply rules u r talking xacly. i thought i do it from the start of my torrenting carier. if i ddnt do here many giveaways it dsnt mean that i ddnt do if at all. also i wont be good for every place where i am a member. some1 ofc will disagree but so im. dont see any good point to be an example for imitation, but more important i will not against the fact that im captan america here and im XXX there if somebody will find this out

  8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by meelad View Post
    I disagree with number 2. Those who do public giveaways are not always looking for rep points or invites to more sites. Many people giveaway in the spirit of sharing.
    agreed, im sure not everyone does it for rep points, they do because they want to share, not sure if i am wrong but isnt this the fundamental part of bittorrenting.
    Last edited by Villalltheway; 01-14-2009 at 12:51 PM.



  9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Artemis's Avatar ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    6,331
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptanAmerica
    i ddnt get about witch simply rules u r talking xacly. i thought i do it from the start of my torrenting carier. if i ddnt do here many giveaways it dsnt mean that i ddnt do if at all. also i wont be good for every place where i am a member. some1 ofc will disagree but so im. dont see any good point to be an example for imitation, but more important i will not against the fact that im captan america here and im XXX there if somebody will find this out
    My head actually aches trying to decipher that Look I get it, English isn't your first language, but that isn't even remotely close to an english sentence structure.

    4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73


  10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Magnum's Avatar Seed or die!!! BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Centaury
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    inviting people to private bittorrent trackers always comes with a certain risk. depending on the tracker you might get a warning, get disabled or even the whole invite tree may lose their accounts.

    why do people take that risk? why does one put the future of his own account into the hand of others?

    there are two main factors that motivates people to do or not to do something hence to make a decision. one is avoidance of negative consequences, the other is personal benefit.

    you can divide inviters into three main groups:

    2. the public giveaways

    people who make public giveaways do it to get recognition and a reputation in invite forums. they consciously break tracker rules as well and don't care much about who they invite either. their benefits are rep points and (from their point of view) a better chance to be considered in their next request for invites or a giveaway they take part in. because of this somehow delayed expected exchange the benefit isn't an instant one. the proportion of negative consequences and benefit is more balanced. that's why they ask for screenshots and other proofs from the strangers they invite.

    group one and two have one thing in common. they are both looking for invites to other sites. this leads us two group three. it's hard to find a name for them. let's call them:

    3. the ones who have what they need.

    this group of bittorrent users have the weakest motivation of them all. they're not looking for invites to other trackers. most are satisfied and often long time members of the best sites. their only benefit is to bring someone who they like and trust to the site. you might call it a favour without something in return. the risk they are willing to take is much higher than their personal benefit. that's why they'd never invite strangers or people they don't know and trust. invites are given in private and as a gift without any need for publicity. they'd rather keep their invites forever than risk their accounts with a bad invitee. the possible negative consquences clearly overrule the personal benefits. that's why they hardly invite people (anymore).


    of course this is stereotyped thinking. we're all individuals. the boundaries are blurred. i just explained the main motivations to invite people from my point of view based on the observation i made over the years.
    In the most part is as polarbear say. What i refer to ? I have many giveaways but not for the rep points but to help others. Wierd is that my giveaways never helped me in the moment when i was requesting something because the staff of many trackers see what we are doing here and on some trackers, the giveaways are forbidden. I wan to give a warning tot the amateurs that at some time they will have problems because of the giveaways. Unfortunately i`ve opened my eyes a little too late , and so i will never many other giveaways. You be the judge.


Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •