Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: How would "You" get good members

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    There have been a few posts on here about Invites and traders etc etc, so this is your chance to put the world to rights on this.

Put yourself in the position of a tracker owner/staffer that spends most of his/her day checking on members, for cheaters etc.

Now also take into consideration the following.

1: Giveaways

People that do giveawys on public forums, very well might be bringing in a member that the tracker banned 6 months before, you also have no clue who they are, and even ratios and profiles on other sites, can be misleading.

2: Trades

Same as above, they are not doing it for the good of the site, but because they want something in return.

3: Selling

I think everyone agrees this is wrong

4: Cheaters

get lots of cheaters coming in.

5: Hit and Runners

gets lots of hit and runners

6: opening up

See all points above but also dupe accounts, sign up hit and run, get banned, change IP sign up again, rinse and repeat over and over again.

7: Security.

most trackers want security for themselves and for their members, like our members getting letters from their ISP is best avoided at all costs, Security is not just about security of the staff ans the owners.

Remember this is not about just getting as many members as possible, this is about getting 99% good members into the tracker, but lots of them (if that is even possible lol)

So just for 10 minutes, put yourself into a tracker staffers shoes, even the hardcore traders and cheaters, and lets hear some answers, this is just for curiosity purposes, but you may come up with some ideas no tracker staffer has ever come up with.

And staying closed for eternity is not an answer, this is about getting members, but bloody good ones.

at the end of the day, all tracker staff want are good decent members, is that to much to ask in this day and age.
    Last edited by stoi; 01-14-2009 at 03:51 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Time-Traveller's Avatar Poster
    Whatever method you (as a site) adopt to recruit new members it's going to be difficult to assure that the applicant is what they say they are cause lets face fact it's easy to bullshit someone when your not face to face with them.

If it was me I would go for a detailed application form designed to discover a persons attitude on various things (sort of like psychological profiling) if this first test was passed it would be followed by a 1 month trial after which time their account would be reviewed, this would lead to either full membership or an IP ban

I think it's even more difficult to select who among your existing userbase should be entitled to bring others to your site. Lets say even if you take the top 10% of your best users and give them invite privileges as you are aware accounts get traded like candy all over the interweb and your back to square 1 again.

I just can't see a foolproof way of implementing this to give you the "good users" every site wants, possibly some kind of "recommend a friend" strategy where both your account and your friends application is scrutinised closely (time consuming I know) which would then lead back into a situation described at the start of post.

Tough nut to crack me thinks
    Last edited by Time-Traveller; 01-14-2009 at 04:04 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Well remember, some (I am not saying all) higher class members, are just pricks with a seedbox.

so even that does not work.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    i would like to know the answers myself.
    open signups, get 1000 mutes, 500 collectors, 40 who show potential, 400 cheats.

This torrenting stuff is not really rocket science.

when ppl take theyre time an prove theyre worth they can get an invite anywhere, by simply asking.
    the ones that sign up, cheat theyre ratio to 4 EB, or trade there way in, whats the rush ?

we all started somewhere. leech, seed, chat be active, good things happen, why the big rush to be on "0-daysitex3644" from the outset ?

Just curious myself, so im only asking.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    Well remember, some (I am not saying all) higher class members, are just pricks with a seedbox.

so even that does not work.
    Yeah absolutely mate meant to throw the the whole seedbox thing in there, it's easy to sit in front of your box's gui for a couple of weeks to hit mega-user or whatever, I wouldn't use this as your benchmark to evaluate your userbase as it's destined to fail.

I'd go for maybe number of torrents upladed, contribution to the community (helpfulness in forums, financial donation etc) length of membership & total seed time instead of GB's uploaded. Once all this had been taken into consideration then you would be in a position to decide whether or not this user should be allowed to recommend a friend.

Also I wouldn't advertise publicly what the requirements are to start the process of bringing friends to the site and just say each case will be considered on it's own merit. Now obviously this is quite difficult to implement into an automated system if you take all the above factors into consideration but I think they key to it may be "the personal touch" obviously with a large site like your own this is going to be even more time consuming
    Last edited by Time-Traveller; 01-14-2009 at 04:28 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by Time-Traveller View Post
    Whatever method you (as a site) adopt to recruit new members it's going to be difficult to assure that the applicant is what they say they are cause lets face fact it's easy to bullshit someone when your not face to face with them.
    this is true.. and it can be very difficult, that why i personally prefer using irc.. you get a better feel for the individual

If it was me I would go for a detailed application form designed to discover a persons attitude on various things (sort of like psychological profiling) if this first test was passed it would be followed by a 1 month trial after which time their account would be reviewed, this would lead to either full membership or an IP ban
    you could do that i suppose, but then your "STAFFING TIME" would end up consumed with going through all them applications you've just received.. and one done with that more time lost would be to follow up on all them people you've approved to join... not to mention, you may loose many possibly good members at the jump simply because they are turned off by filling out an application.. after all it's a tracker, not a job.. lol

I think it's even more difficult to select who among your existing userbase should be entitled to bring others to your site. Lets say even if you take the top 10% of your best users and give them invite privileges as you are aware accounts get traded like candy all over the interweb and your back to square 1 again.
    how would you decide who is the in the top 10% of your userbase ?? and are you like suggesting making them recruiters?

I just can't see a foolproof way of implementing this to give you the "good users" every site wants, possibly some kind of "recommend a friend" strategy where both your account and your friends application is scrutinised closely (time consuming I know) which would then lead back into a situation described at the start of post.

Tough nut to crack me thinks
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperr View Post

how would you decide who is the in the top 10% of your userbase ?? and are you like suggesting making them recruiters?
    See my second post
    Last edited by Time-Traveller; 01-14-2009 at 04:31 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    X X - - (-o-) (-o-) BT Rep: +3
    I've almost burned my hands a couple of times, but if I give someone an invite, I usually ask for his interests... All of my invitees to KG -for example- are sick movie addicts, who maybe arent able to maintain a ratio like all those seedbox users (but around 1), but their place is there, at KG. I think besides invites you should keep up the option for someone to prove, that he really needs the site.

You are related to bcg as far as i know, to check if somebody really a game addict, or at least plays sometimes isnt a hard task. Not for you, but for some folks you trust.

This is only my opinion...
    Last edited by magushun; 01-14-2009 at 04:36 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    noAxx's Avatar Anti-Trader
    T-T's application proposal is a good one, and has been successfully used on a number of more private trackers (most of whom probably don't want to be named here). It isn't flawless, but it allows you to get more detailed information than just ratios. And to help catch old banned users, though it won't help if they have a dynamic IP or use a proxy, you can set up the application process through a web form rather than through a referral system, allowing you to log IPs and check them against those of banned users.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    BANNED BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    if u want good member

make big giveaway

and the members

show screen shoot from the games they have

or give u a reason why they want to be members in ur tracker

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast