Thread: Question: Why are header files smaller than the total downloaded?

Long story short, I just spend the last hour downloading about 5 million headers using Newsleecher.

In the download counter, it says that I downloaded a total of 4 GB.
    However, when I check the Newsleecher cache in %APPDATA%\NewsLeecher\ , the whole folder is only 870 MB.

So what does this mean? Where is the other 3 GB???

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    i would think that they are compressed after they are downloaded :-/ I dunno.

Why waste your time downloading headers in the first place?

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    just go to newzleech.com and click browse and click what group you want...its much easier

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    there are real gems hidden in the headers. time consuming but worth it every once in a while
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Compression makes sense. That's probably it.
    You know, for the headers, I download them because I don't know what I want to download so having a list of stuffs available in front of me to choose helps a lot.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I download headers not in the big groups but the smaller binary groups. I find many useful posts not found on NZB sites.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak