Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Spender

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Obama Hosting Pricey Party in Hard Times
    The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million.

AP

Sunday, January 18, 2009
    WASHINGTON - Unemployment is up. The stock market is down. Let's party.

The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million. Despite the bleak economy, however, Democrats who called on President George W. Bush to be frugal four years ago are issuing no such demands now that an inaugural weekend of rock concerts and star-studded parties has begun.

Obama's inaugural committee has raised more than $41 million to cover events ranging from a Philadelphia-to-Washington train ride to a megastar concert with Beyonce, U2 and Bruce Springsteen to 10 official inaugural balls. Add to that the massive costs of security and transportation -- costs absorbed by U.S. taxpayers -- and the historic inauguration will produce an equally historic bill.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elec...ities-reach-m/

I understand the need to celebrate and whatnot, but "Beyonce, U2 and Bruce Springsteen"? $150 million?

yo

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    i guess would be better if this money was in the hands of the poor or any other charitable institutions
    Last edited by torrentt; 01-18-2009 at 10:06 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Or back in my pocket.

yo

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    惡魔的提倡者
    It does seem extravagant. I prefer to think of it not as a celebration of Obama taking over, but instead one for the departure of Bush.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    pentomato's Avatar Above the sun
    That is money that doesn't come from your taxes or mine anyway.
    Who cares about it? This is history skizo, I know you may not care, but american's have hope for the future.
    The one that ruined America is leaving, it is time for Obama and the new hope.
    Last edited by pentomato; 01-19-2009 at 01:40 AM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    pentomato's Avatar Above the sun
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    It does seem extravagant. I prefer to think of it not as a celebration of Obama taking over, but instead one for the departure of Bush.
    I thought this day would never be a reality.
    Now texas has to deal with him lol

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    They spend too much money on this type of thing. I am not just talking about the U.S.A. If you were to walk a few yards away from the inauguration you will find people sleeping rough. A few of these people fought in Vietnam. If your country needs you, that's O.K. If you need your country, forget it.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Obama Hosting Pricey Party in Hard Times
    The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million.
    I was immediately struck by the same thing.It's amazing how people line up on the other side of the fence when it suits them.
    It wasn't too long ago that both the politicos and average citizens were denouncing the auto industry for throwing money around in hard times .
    Especially hypocritical on the new President's part with his supposed immediate focus on fiscal responsibility.

Of course I don't agree with the whole approach taken to Obama's inauguration .Much too orchestrated .Then seem trying to imply greatness by association(the train ride,the bible being used even the location).
    That seems to be Obama's course of preference though.He did the same sort of thing with the setting of his Democratic nomination acceptance speech too.
    Who knows Obama may turn out to be the greatest President ever but just emulating Lincoln and Kennedy ,while no doubt influencing the psyche of the dim-witted doesn't make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by pentomato View Post
    Nothing exists in a vacuum and while the money may not directly come from tax dollars the money of the rich still comes from the sacrifices of the less fortunate.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Nothing exists in a vacuum and while the money may not directly come from tax dollars the money of the rich still comes from the sacrifices of the less fortunate.
    You could look at it in exactly the opposite way.

This is money that the rich already have, and when they spend it some of it will be absorbed in taxes, if they just hoard it they will pay much less tax. Some of that tax money will be spent to help the less well off. So the more they spend the more help goes to the poor.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    惡魔的提倡者

I thought this day would never be a reality.
    Now texas has to deal with him lol
    By all accounts he's going to be less than 30 miles away from us. I think he'll hardly be there mind you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast