Thread: Fresh Install

MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Ok, Got a question for balaam. I don't mind doing research but I don't come across many sites that would have this information so here goes. If I get a new computer and install an os from scratch, what should I do as far as patches/service packs. There is no need for hardcore server stuff, just the usual media sharing,firewall,antivirus,mirc,soulseek,editing movies,blah blah blah. The reason I ask is because I've seen this xp-lite and i have sp2 on my xp-home install and also i've been to blackviper's site but I was wondering if anyone could give any UP-TO-DATE advice on the most problem free configuration based on XP. Also, giving filesize for any os would be appreciated.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    If you have a look at my software folder on soulseek you'll find just about everything you'll want for your fresh install

Help yourself B)

The most important thing to do when intstalling Windows afresh is to visit Windows Update and get all of the critical security patches. Especially with MSBlast still causing problems!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    There are some XP patches that I would still cull out. Just take the time to read through them and see if you really need them. Each one is going to change the way your system handles data and not always in the most efficient way. If you use things like hotmail, then you probably want them all installed. If you just browse the web a bit and use outlook for mail, then a lot of them are overkill. Peer t peer apps come with their own risks but that's more a firewall/antivirus consideration. The ms blast patch is an absolute as are some of the other more well known ones.
    Terminal services patches and jet4 admin patches aren't really going to apply in your case.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    this is the link that started me thinking about it, fyi. Originally, I thought xp-lite was somesort of REWRITE of xp just like the rewrites that are supposedly gonna happen when the spyware infested windows longhorn comes out. As I said one time before, I learned on a dos machine which at the time was fairly simple, if you can deal with the dos commands. I have xp2002version5.1build2600 i do have patches installed but wheras the add/remove programs menu used to show xphotfix sp1 now its different(just says hotfixkb823980)so who knows what patches are there. I did see a question about it one time, and apparantly finding out which service packs and which patches are installed is not for a noob like me, hehe I shouldn't have lost track.thx guys for the advice

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.