Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharing accounts good or bad? What do you think?

ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    I would not trust anyone I don't know in real life to share an account and if I know them in r/l and trusted them enough then I would try to invite them there anyway. I've never shared an account and never intend to.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Let's take e.g. Waffles (or OiNK for that matter - RIP)

I have lots of friends that I have tried inviting to e.g. Waffles, but since the tracker is hard to seed on, they get in a hole, lose faith in themselves and just let the account die.

I on the other hand have a buffer there, have the option to seed lots of torrent almost 24/7 and know how to properly rip new content to add. Now lets say I'm somewhere with no access to my library, but a friend wants a proper copy of something. Why not just let that friend download a copy from there, get it to me on a memory stick or something later on. And when I get home, I add it for seeding. Or for that matter, I can just download the same thing later on and seed it, in case I for some reason can't get it from my friend, who downloaded it also.

What's wrong with that scenario?
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 01-23-2009 at 04:42 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    mamacita's Avatar Tarding is bad!! BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Skies View Post

I have lots of friends that I have tried inviting to e.g. Waffles, but since the tracker is hard to seed on, they get in a hole, lose faith in themselves and just let the account die.

I on the other hand have a buffer there, have the option to seed lots of torrent almost 24/7 and know how to properly rip new content to add. Now lets say I'm somewhere with no access to my library, but a friend wants a proper copy of something. Why not just let that friend download a copy from there, get it to me on a memory stick or something later on. And when I get home, I add it for seeding. Or for that matter, I can just download the same thing later on and seed it, in case I for some reason can't get it from my friend, who downloaded it also.

Its completely understandable that you want to help your buddies out. I see no harm in that though the risks are still implied.

But why not get the music for them yourself? I mean are your buddies so seriously impatient that they can't wait to get some music from you when you have the time to download it?

Personally I would restrict access to my torrent sites to myself only, but in turn have some sort of ftp server running that all my buddies can download from. Makes sharing with your friends a lot easier, and likewise keeps your accounts safe from their eyes.
    Kindness goes a long way!

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by mamacita View Post

Its completely understandable that you want to help your buddies out. I see no harm in that though the risks are still implied.

But why not get the music for them yourself? I mean are your buddies so seriously impatient that they can't wait to get some music from you when you have the time to download it?

Personally I would restrict access to my torrent sites to myself only, but in turn have some sort of ftp server running that all my buddies can download from. Makes sharing with your friends a lot easier, and likewise keeps your accounts safe from their eyes.
    What risks? Anyone I would let use any account of mine I fully trust. I don't need to keep my accounts safe from their eyes.

I know that they won't misuse the passkey.
    I know that they won't upload anything elsewhere, without my permission.
    I know they would not use the opportunity to check through posts etc. of mine.
    I always would ensure that they have their client set up to not spread info (DHT etc.)

There are zero risks apart from staff seeing a minor IP change/2 different IPs and banning the account (which to me would seen quite paranoid)

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    MODERATION BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Blue_Skies why wont you just respect the tracker rules and dont share your account with others. If the rules says "one account per life" why would you risk yours for nothing? If you are a good use I am 100% sure you will be able to find an invite for a friend who you can trust.
    I ve done the same: I ve invited my best friend to iPlay just py requesting an invite in forums. I ve explaind them he is a good user and a good bloke and I had the invite in a few minutes. And we all know that iPlay invites are not that easy to find.
    I am talking about tracker rules when we all disobey them by being here and risk by giving invites to ppl we barely know... But this is life: we just cant live by the rules or we will end up having nothing.

I wish you all a good weekend

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    First of all I do respect tracker rules, but respecting something and agreeing with something are two very different things.

Let's take an oxymoron like alcohol being allowed but THC not.

Both have an intoxicating effect. Occasional use does not do any harm in any case. Excessive use hurts the person in both cases, but alcohol being used excessively is much more dangerous.

I respect that rule, but I sure as hell don't agree with it.

And BTW what does "one account per lifetime" have to do with anything? Since this hypothetical friend, who is using your account isn't a member, he is still using one account per lifetime. Only way he would break that rule is if he was using several account from several people.

Same goes for "one account per person per lifetime" depending on how it's read. This usually has a more detailed description of the rule with it.

The rule we are talking about here is "Do not share your account with anyone"

I really don't see how it would be better to invite the friend knowing he most likely will get killed ratiowise. That's just ridiculous.

And BTW several trackers do not have this severely restricting rule in place.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 01-23-2009 at 07:47 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    mamacita's Avatar Tarding is bad!! BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19

I really don't see how it would be better to invite the friend knowing he most likely will get killed ratiowise. That's just ridiculous.

And BTW several trackers do not have this severely restricting rule in place.
    We all had to start somewhere didn't we?

But yeah man, I get what you are saying. I was just pointing out that it seemed silly to ever put yourself in a potentially harmful situation like that. But they're your real life friends, and if they mess up your stuff, you'll go mess them up, right?

I'm actually on your side of the opinion here, btw. In those special circumstances where it is someone you know in real life and trust thoroughly, I see no harm done in giving them access to that one file they wanted. I let my dad use my demonoid and BS accounts to see what he wants, then I download them for him and send 'em to him. (He lives 500 miles away). It's all about sharing after all, isn't?

I would not, however, EVER condone sharing your account with an online acquaintence. There's just no telling what lies behind someones electronic words. But what kind of freak would I be if I refused my loved one access to the site? (albeit with supervision)
    Kindness goes a long way!

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    I once invited my sister somewhere to download one torrent and never look back (she needed something ASAP for work after hours). All because of traders. She was abroad and that would mean a country change on my account, which would be flagged probably as traded.

This is what this rule does in some cases. And funny thing is that that tracker allowed H&R, so for that matter she could download it on my account.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    See I still think if yuo PM'd a staff member as explained that your sister needed it they would understand and say OK this one time or something like that. Shit I used that Imageshack torrent thing and just PM'd someone saying I was trying it to see. They didn't mind, they just called me a Nub
    Last edited by Detale; 01-23-2009 at 08:09 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    You missed the ASAP. I have on several occasions PM'd staff on various sites about some issue and while some reply very fast, others can use days if at all. I don't think it should be necessary to PM staff about something like that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast