Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading To Windows Xp.

mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    right now im running win2k which ive been running since it came out.. i love the stability, but its just so boring, and i dont feel like getting windows blinds.. pain in the ass. anyway, im going to do a format/reinstall in the near future and im begining to wonder if i should install xp. getting it isnt aproblem... just wanted to know what other ppl thought.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I dont want to upgrade yet (running ME) becuase of the Blaster worm, and Ive heard a lot of problems with XP.

My brother has a brand new XP computer, and he says he hates XP.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    if you&#39;re only wanting to upgrade for the graphics, it&#39;s probably not worth it
    there are still a lot of die-hards who&#39;ll recommend you stay away from xp, but i&#39;ve got xp and know quite a few people who have it.
    as for the blaster problem, as long as you get the updates and don&#39;t be silly when using the comp, you should be safe...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    If you know how to customize XP to your likeing.. it&#39;s great.
    I run Windows XP Pro.. no major problems. Glad I never get Illegal Opperation.. damn windows 98. Made me lose huge amounts of work and drove me insaine.

I&#39;ve never had a Data Lose situation on xp. (hell, not even on kazaa yet)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    On Win2000 you gotta install Windows Blinds. On Windows XP you need to install StyleXP, or stick with the 3 themes it comes with.

Correct me if I&#39;m wrong, I&#39;m running Win2000.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I like XP, but I&#39;m thinking of trying 2K Pro just to see the difference.

Be aware that XP will require more memory to run...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Dual boot win2k and XP. Then you still have 2k for the serious stuff and XP for the decoration.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Whats your spec, if you are going to upgrade?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by balamm@14 September 2003 - 06:59
    Dual boot win2k and XP. Then you still have 2k for the serious stuff and XP for the decoration.
    I&#39;ve got dual boot 2000/XP on my system and i&#39;d say XP is the better operating system. Sure, 2000 uses slightly less resources but if you have a decent computer then XP is the way to go.

With XP, if you have enough RAM, you can enable the windows system to be kept in memory rather than paged to disc and this speeds things up quite considerably. Otherwise the two Os&#39;s are much the same.

The ability to change windows visual style by use of a simple patch is cool. While most of the available themes are garish and could be called decoration, others add a more modern design to your desktop which is very nice to work with day to day.

&#39;Purists&#39;, such as Balamm here, will criticise XP as not being a serious operating system. Really though, it&#39;s a progression of the nt based operating system, and a welcome one at that. If you don&#39;t like the &#39;decoration&#39; you can easily turn it off.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    i got 512mb ram and a 650mhz pent III.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast