Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ireland

BANNED
    What do you think of the situation in Ireland? North and South.

Will they be united again? Should they?

What about the IRA, do you agree with the British government negotiating with them?

Do you think the ceasefire will hold? Should Sinn Fein be allowed in government before a total IRA handover of weapons?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I believe in Self Determination, not only for Ulster but for Gibralter.

Both peoples may be getting sold down the river and deceived by the UK Government..........

If the PEOPLE of Ulster wish be reunited with Eire, they should be.

If the PEOPLE wish to remian a part of the United Kingdom, again...this should be allowed.

If the PEOPLE of Gibralter wish to remain British, they should be (and BTW, the percentage of Gibraltarians that wish to remain British is a LOT higher than those of Northern Ireland)

I also believe that all parties on both sides have the right to sell their arguments to the people......but any violence by either side (remember that IRA is not the only terrorist organisation) should be hit on hard.

Maybe they should have a referendum every 10 years or so....

I think it would be much better if the various organisations actually believed in what they claim they are fighting for (as they did originally).....these days they appear to be more concerned with racketeering and organised crime, than in the future of Ireland.

They are, in effect, more like the Mafia than a political organisation these days.

However, what makes you think they will have a say?

Ulster and Gibralter.....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    I agree in this case plebiscite seems the only really fair way to decide,

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    To be honest, a referendum, however nice that would appear, would fulfill no purpose.
    Northern Ireland has always been about political swing and gain.
    The whole province has been gerrymandered into a joke. Goalpost shift nearly every election. And let me tell you, elections are a belly-laugh.

Stormont has been suspended yet again.
    Sinn Fein (the erstwhile, alledgedly) politcal wing of the PIRA is gaining seats in the South as well as the North.

The reason Northern Ireland doesn't need a referendum is that no-one would be able to decide on the actual syntax of the proposal. I mean it.

The census tells us all we need to know as far as political prophecy.

I'll post more as this thread grows.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    BANNED
    What is the protestant \ catholic split in the North now Chalice? Population wise.

B)

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Sod Diplomacy........the Question is simple.

Do you wish to be:

a/ Part of Eire

b/ Part of the United Kingdom

c/ Fully Independant from both

The boundaries........whole of Ulster, sod the political maps.

Anything else can be looked at AFTER the basic question.

If nothing else, it shows the world that the people are voting on it...

I think the cost of running a Referendum every decade or so is minimal to the International Political arena...

How can IRA justify its existance? How can UDF justify its existance? How can UK justify its policies? etc etc etc

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Billy, the census has shown a dramatic increase in the Catholic population.
    Where it stood 10 years ago it was about 70/30 in favour of the Protestant community. Now its more like 54/46.

Ratfaced. As I said, that would be nice.
    However, how do you hope to achieve this any time soon when the Republic of Ireland has given up her constitutional claim on Ulster?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    BANNED
    The problem I see there RF is that the split in Ulster is along basically religious grounds, which is why I asked Chalice that question.

What's the point of a referendum if the answer is a foregon conclusion based on which side has the most voters?

And what about asking the rest of Britain if they want Ulster to remain within the United Kingdom?

I also have a problem with asking three questions, or giving three choices to the same question.

B)

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Some pretty pictures from Northern Ireland.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    BANNED
    I believe the Republic's giving up of their constitutional claim was a good idea.

I see it as a way of isolating the people of Ulster from outside interference in their affairs, and allows them to make decisions on their own.

Do you believe the formation of Ulster as an independent entity under EU law would be a good first step towards integration?

B)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast