Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joint effort against music piracy agreed in Ireland

Aliyans's Avatar Came, Saw &Conquered BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14

Surprised/Amazed

Joint effort against music piracy agreed in Ireland
    January 28, 2009 19.30 GMT

Today Eircom,ireland's largest broadband provider agreed with Music companies Sony BMg,Warner,EMI and Universal that it will work jointly with them step by step against illegal music downloading in the country, in a settlement talk between the broadband company and music company representatives to day after Eircom was sued by the music companies..They said they will move on to other broadband companies also gradually[ incuding my ISP].. I watched it on news..But the video they showed for news was downloading via kaza ,limeware..but no torrent or emule downloading..I donno , may be they havent got the name or somebody who is able to demo torrent downoading for video....More details below...

"In what has been billed as a world first, four music companies and internet server provider Eircom have agreed to work together to end illegal music downloading.

The settlement brought to an end an eight-day trial in which the music companies were suing Eircom as the country's largest internet service provider - over illegal downloading.

The four music companies have agreed to provide Eircom with the IP addresses of internet users detected illegally uploaded or downloading music.

Advertisement
    For its part Eircom is agreeing to implement a three-step process - informing a subscriber if their IP address has been detected infringing copyright, warning the subscriber that if they do not stop they will be disconnected, and finally disconnecting the user if fail to heed the warning.

EMI Managing Director and Chair of IRMA Willie Kavanagh says he is delighted that a settlement has been reached and that the four music companies involved - EMI, Warner, Sony, and Universal - will now be looking to have similar arrangements put in place with the rest of the country's internet service providers."

But same ISPs response one year ago[January 2008] when U2's[rock band] manager called on ISPs to bill customers for the music downloads..

"Wednesday, 30 January 2008
    Internet Service Providers says it is impossible for them to monitor the transfer of copyrighted material online.

The comments come after U2's manager called on ISPs to bill customers for music downloaded over the internet.

Paul McGuinness says that illegal downloads and file-sharing sites are affecting everyone associated with the business and have left the music industry 'in freefall'.

Advertisement
    He has called on ISPs to play a part in helping to impose charges for music downloads, arguing that they can monitor everything subscribers do online.

Mr McGuinness says the music industry should invite internet providers to become partners and build a model with content owners, so tracks can be properly paid for.

But the Internet Service Providers Association of Ireland says it is impossible for members to identify content that is transferred.

General Manager Paul Durrant says monitoring of internet usage is in breach of the every privacy, telecommunication and data protection law that exists.

He says calls for this level of monitoring is akin to asking ISPs to spy on everything that is happening on the internet in an attempt to pick out when an illegal download is happening.

Mr Durrant describes such calls as draconian and over the top."
    "

Source: Joint effort against music piracy agreed | File transfers cannot be monitored - ISPs
    Last edited by Aliyans; 01-29-2009 at 01:40 AM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    If you like the band then you will buy their stuff.

U2, bought all their albums on Vinyl, Cassette, CD, Bought all their Videos and DVDs, been to see them twice at Roundhay park in Leeds, have not downloaded 1 song by them even though i could, quite easy.

So its a load of crap really, the Pirates are ruining the industry, the Industry is ruining the Industry with all the crap they bring out.

How can someone on say £200 a week afford to pay.

£12 for an Album
    £15 for a DVD
    £30 to go to the Cinema if they have a family.
    £30 to go and watch their Football team
    £40 for a Game
    Sky @ £45 a month
    Broadband @ £35 a month
    telephone @ £20 a month
    rent council tax food car fuel insurance Electric, gas.

If they stopped bringing out so much crap then they would not be in such a bloody mess.

We need a solar flare to knock out all the electric in the world for a couple of years, Ok it will be hard, but will teach these massive conglomerates a lesson.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    but U2's magager asked that one year ago...n ISPs refused as it says above.. this is new ..music companies joining ISPs to reduce n kill piracy

Weindians

SHARING IS CARING..

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I wonder if Stoi buys all the games featured on his site?
    Last edited by colbert; 01-29-2009 at 02:16 AM.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    No but then I dont pirate all the games on my site either.

I will buy a game if its good, and even if it should be good but it does not live up to expectations, FF X-2 as an example.

But there is a hell of a lot of dross that comes out, that tbh i regretted wasting a DVD on never mind £30 on (most Wii games spring to mind).

the thing that gets me with games, most are designed for kids, most parents give pocket money to kids, so they can respect money, they save it up, then buy a game they like the look off, turns out to be dire, but they spent 4-8 weeks pocket money on the thing, and looked forward to buying it at that, just to be disappointed in it.

With everything these days, its Quantity not Quality that is winning, or that they do anyway, well no one in their right mind will buy every single Wii game that comes out, as well as 360, PS3, PS2, PC etc etc.

There is just not enough Quality these days, God of War/Gears of War/MGS/FF etc will fly off the shelves, just because they are quality games, But most Wii games will not because they are quite basically dire.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    What people have to understand is that should the entertainment industry goes bankrupt, the music would not fall with them.

Also, stoi, stop the sophistry. The majority of pirates do not subscribe to the "if I pirate it and I like it, then I will buy it" reason that the few guilt-ridden pirates proclaim to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    If you like the band then you will buy their stuff.

U2, bought all their albums on Vinyl, Cassette, CD, Bought all their Videos and DVDs, been to see them twice at Roundhay park in Leeds, have not downloaded 1 song by them even though i could, quite easy.

So its a load of crap really...
    Quit spreading the delusion. You're offering anecdotal evidence to broadly generalize an extremely diverse set of people.
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-29-2009 at 06:37 PM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    WTF you on lol

I said thats what i done, not what 1mil others do, but i bet a fair few will get into music they had never even dreamed of listening to, no every band gets on the radio or has a top 40 hit you know.

look at Arctic Monkeys, personally i think they are crap, but they built their fan base on P2P networks then stormed the charts with their first single/album

so people will buy the crap, even if it is on P2P networks.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    If you like the band then you will buy their stuff
    This is a generalization. I've heard allot of people say pirates don't actually harm the industry because they are "just trying before their buying" in order to justify the practice. It's bullshit.
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-29-2009 at 06:42 PM.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    The other way to look at it though, if we did not pirate would we actually buy most of the crap that is out there, i doubt it.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Looks like i shouldn have posted this news...any comment on the news posted rather than going onto stoi and his piracy or game piracy...lets talk about action against music piracy which is going to be all our problem soon..
    Last edited by Aliyans; 01-29-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Weindians

SHARING IS CARING..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast