Thread: questions from a newbie...on rules stuff

I am new to this type of bittorent environment. And want to learn what I can so i don't do things wrong here or there.
    as note in another post I capped and seeded football games(Phins) for about 4 years on a private tracker, not one of thse types and the only rules I was taught was to seed for a decent period of time, usually 24 to 36 hours after completion of leech to help others finished and usually i stayed longer if some weren't done, and then when I was the initial seeder i seeded till everyone was done. so that is the rules i have torrented by.

I saw some stickies about cheating and scamming...I assume that is for here and that there is the same in the bittorrent sites.

what exactly is considered cheating and scamming here and on the trackers? I don't want to run afoul of any of it even accidentally. I know that if I d/l something it should not just be a demanding rule, but should be courtesy, to u/l it for others..to d/l it and run seems like a crime to me...I am appreciative of those who seeded it for me, so I should pass that on and help those behind me. I try to keep a well over 1.0 ratio and I think that is the right thing to do.
    So the cheating and scamming and so forth that i keep reading all over the place I don't know what that stuff is and hopefully won't unknowingly do it. so can someone explain what some of those things are..of will i be good on bittorent if I stick to what I always have done(described above)?

I just found out about private trackers, and understand it is taboo to trade/sell invites, so I imagine that is cheating...I would think one should know the character of someone before even giving one to them as I have learned your rep depends on your invites at most places. so I guess somehow some of that is tied to cheating and scamming.

I am trying usenet now, not sure if there are rules I should know about using it but I will try and do the best I can on it.

Another question, Cabalo has helped me in a couple of good posts, and I saw one of his mentioning participating here and another mentioned being mature about it and so forth...I kinda figured that went with any forum as most of us are adults.. My question tho is how does one participate here, like me, that has no knowledge nor anything to contribute as to being new to the environment? I am not so sure I have anything to offer yet. I am still learning and hoping you guys don't mind and have the patience to advise along the way and forgive what you might consider "stupid" questions. I participate in a Dolphins forum but I know a bit about what i am talking about so can participate and contribute..something new like this everyone here seems to be so many miles over my head on this stuff that anything I might mention would really seem menial and dumb to me. So I will try if it is possible to participate here and learn and hopefully help in some way some other newbie that comes along later. But what kind of participation can a newbie at my stage do here? thanks a million guys...t

Oh and does the forum have a system where you can click a thanks button on folks that you want to thank for helping you, i.e. reputation thingy? thanks..t
    Last edited by Twolf13; 01-29-2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Cheating: Using a program to send false data to give the impression that you are uploading more than you actually are. This is against private tracker rules because it skews the ratio system, which is put in place to try and maintain fairness and discourage leechers.

Scamming: Offering to trade invites/ accounts, but after receiving the invite/account backing out before fullfilling your end of the agreement. The chance of this is greatly reduced if you use our middleman service

You'll have plenty of chances to participate and voice your opinion if you stick around for awhile. Just lurk for a couple weeks or until you feel comfortable and feel free to ask questions cause there are people here who like to help. Then again there are always a couple people who will be hostile, but just don't mind them if you happen to encounter them. There IS a reputation button which is meant for giving thanks in the giveaway/trade section, but most FST vets help for the sake of it and some have even disabled their rep counter because they couldn't care less about it. Hope to see you around
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 01-29-2009 at 04:30 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post
    Cheating: Using a program to send false data to give the impression that you are uploading more than you actually are. This is against private tracker rules because it skews the ratio system, which is put in place to try and maintain fairness and discourage leechers.

Scamming: Offering to trade invites/ accounts, but after receiving the invite/account backing out before fullfilling your end of the agreement. The chance of this is greatly reduced if you use our middleman service

You'll have plenty of chances to participate and voice your opinion if you stick around for awhile. Just lurk for a couple weeks or until you feel comfortable and feel free to ask questions cause there are people here who like to help. Then again there are always a couple people who will be hostile, but just don't mind them if you happen to encounter them. There IS a reputation button which is meant for giving thanks in the giveaway/trade section, but most FST vets help for the sake of it and some have even disabled their rep counter because they couldn't care less about it. Hope to see you around
    Thanks TSOL....well the cheating I definitely won't do..sounds like that thing years ago when they had the get paid to run ads or something on your screen and some used some kind of software to send pings to imitate keystrokes or whatever to assimilate you at the keyboard..nope..not for me..thanks for that explanation.

scamming..i understand that too...prob better not to trade I guess from some posts i read here...but nice to know there is a middleman type service here.

I will come and visit often and read and pitch in where I can..and get the feel and hang of it and hopefully be able to contribute constructively. I know about the hostile type..plenty in our phins forum..chuckling..thanks for all your insight and welcom TSOL..t

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Rikikii's Avatar We gonna go higher! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Btw, read this: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gui...t-sites-286077

It will help you.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    VIZFX's Avatar Looking at You! BT Rep: +2
    Also, try not to take this stuff too serious. A lot of the "lesser" sites offer the same stuff, just not with the same speed.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikikii View Post
    Wow, thanks again Rikikii..that link was a big help..and some wonderful advice..thanks so much..t

Quote Originally Posted by VIZFX View Post
    Also, try not to take this stuff too serious. A lot of the "lesser" sites offer the same stuff, just not with the same speed.
    Thanks Viz, will keep that in mind!...t
    Last edited by Twolf13; 01-29-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost