Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Browser

vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by L0rD_S0tH@15 September 2003 - 00:24
    is there an extension for firebird that'll give you the magic wand like in opera?
    try autoform 0.1 from the extensions site....wors great for me
    <insert signature here>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Poster
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@15 September 2003 - 11:19
    which is more compatible with a wide range of sites and protocols, mozilla firebird or avant?
    Mozilla (actually the Gecko engine) is probably the most standards-compliant web browser out there (with Opera a close 2nd). This doesn&#39;t mean that all sites will look good, because a lot of amateur web designers don&#39;t follow the standards set up by the World Wide Web Consortium.

Netscape 4.x (before they started basing it on the Gecko engine) was horrible with web standards, along with early version of IE. IE has gotten a lot better when it comes to using standards, but it (and by extension, Avant) fall short.

Basically, if you&#39;re a web designer and you stick with standards, you can be reasonable sure that your site will look the same in all modern browsers. We&#39;re not quite there yet, but the standards-compliancy is my primary reason for using Mozilla.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    L0rD_S0tH's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15+15 September 2003 - 17:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vivitron 15 @ 15 September 2003 - 17:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-L0rD_S0tH@15 September 2003 - 00:24
    is there an extension for firebird that&#39;ll give you the magic wand like in opera?
    try autoform 0.1 from the extensions site....wors great for me [/b][/quote]
    Cool thnx much. I&#39;ll check it out.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd+15 September 2003 - 21:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cl1mh4224rd @ 15 September 2003 - 21:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MediaSlayer@15 September 2003 - 11:19
    which is more compatible with a wide range of sites and protocols, mozilla firebird or avant?
    Mozilla (actually the Gecko engine) is probably the most standards-compliant web browser out there (with Opera a close 2nd). This doesn&#39;t mean that all sites will look good, because a lot of amateur web designers don&#39;t follow the standards set up by the World Wide Web Consortium.

Netscape 4.x (before they started basing it on the Gecko engine) was horrible with web standards, along with early version of IE. IE has gotten a lot better when it comes to using standards, but it (and by extension, Avant) fall short.

Basically, if you&#39;re a web designer and you stick with standards, you can be reasonable sure that your site will look the same in all modern browsers. We&#39;re not quite there yet, but the standards-compliancy is my primary reason for using Mozilla. [/b][/quote]
    thanks for this...i think that its a well put point. people often compare browsers based on how many websites can be opened by that browser, and say "opera is crap cos i keep having to open IE to load some sites" - this is indeed an incorrect approach to the problem; it is the webmaster who should redesign the site to comply with standards in order to make his page viewable by the public, and not the browser designers to comply with the site.

i couldnt have put it any better than you did
    <insert signature here>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Poster
    I never used opera. But i have used ie, my ie2, mozilla and mozilla firebird. i think my ie2 is the quickest.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234