Thread: file-sharing questionnaire

file-sharing
    Hey guys, im conducting a questionnaire on music filesharing that will be used for an important piece of academic reserach. It would be much appreciated if you could take a few minutes of your time to fill out this questionnaire if you use peer-to-peer sites to download your music. I tried posting the actal questionnaire as an attachment but the file size was too big so please excuse the layout design and quality. Also, please note that this questionnaire is completely anonymous and most of the questions are short or multiple choice so it wont take up much of your time. Many thanks

Peer-to-peer (p2p) users Questionnaire

1.How did you first find out about p2p websites? (Please explain).
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .

2.How long have you been using p2p websites to download music content? (Please select appropriate answer).
    a) Less than a month
    b) Less than 6 months
    c) Less than a year
    d) Less than 2 years
    e) More than 2 years

3.Could you provide a rough estimation towards how many tracks you download in an average week (please state)
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................................................................................................................

4.Do you normally use the same p2p websites when downloading music files? (Please select appropriate answer).
    a) Yes
    b) No (If answer is no, please go to question 7)

5.Can you please explain your reasons for this?
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................

6.Specifically, what p2p websites do you normally use when downloading music files? Please note that the answer can also include MP3 blogs. (Please state)
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................

7.Please mark on a scale of 1 to 5, the importance of the following factors when using p2p websites to download music. Please note that 5 signifies very important and 1 signifies minimally important.
    a) Do not have to pay for the content.
    b) More convenient than buying it in a shop.
    c) Easily transferable to other formats e.g. MP3 players.
    d) Content is sometimes available before commercial release date.
    e) Find music which may not be found in shops.
    f) Other (please state and signify relevance on a scale of 1 to 5). ……………………………………………………………………………………………

8.Do you still purchase physical formats of music (CD’s, vinyl etc)? (Please select appropriate answer).
    a) Yes
    b) No (please go to question 13)

9.Please select one of the following answers to indicate how p2p websites have affected your consumption levels of physical formats of music?
    a) I buy significantly less physical formats of music
    b) I buy less physical formats of music
    c) I buy the same amount of music in a physical form
    d) I buy more physical forms of music
    e) I buy significantly more physical forms of music

10.After you have downloaded a track or an album, do you ever go out and buy the physical version i.e. a CD version of the single or the album? (Please select appropriate answer).
    a) Never
    b) Rarely
    c) Sometimes
    d) Frequently
    e) Always

11.When buying a physical format of music, do you ever download some of its content beforehand to ensure that it lives up your expectations? (Please select appropriate answer).
    a) Never
    b) Rarely
    c) Sometimes
    d) Frequently
    e) Always

12.If one of your favourite artist’s was releasing a new album, would you be more inclined to buy it or download it for free from a p2p website? (please select appropriate answer)
    a) Buy it
    b) Download it

13.Please select one of the following answers to indicate how p2p sites have affected the quantity of music which you consume.
    a) I consume significantly less music
    b) I consume less music
    c) I consume the same amount of music
    d) I consume more music
    e) I consume significantly more music

14.Are you aware of the possible legal implications when downloading music content from p2p websites? (Please select appropriate answer).
    a) Yes
    b) No

15.One suggestion which may be enforced is to stop the internet access of p2p users who fail to stop illegally downloading after 3 warnings from their internet service providers. How would such a remedy affect your downloading behaviour (please explain).
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................................
    16.What are your views towards the notion that music should be free? (please explain your answer)
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    1.How did you first find out about p2p websites? (Please explain).
    Napster was in the news a lot at the time (1999)

2.How long have you been using p2p websites to download music content? (Please select appropriate answer).
    e) More than 2 years

3.Could you provide a rough estimation towards how many tracks you download in an average week (please state)
    These days probably less than 3...

4.Do you normally use the same p2p websites when downloading music files? (Please select appropriate answer).
    a) Yes

5.Can you please explain your reasons for this?
    Good results in the past

6.Specifically, what p2p websites do you normally use when downloading music files? Please note that the answer can also include MP3 blogs. (Please state)
    Limewire.

7.Please mark on a scale of 1 to 5, the importance of the following factors when using p2p websites to download music. Please note that 5 signifies very important and 1 signifies minimally important.
    a) Do not have to pay for the content. 5.
    b) More convenient than buying it in a shop. 4.
    c) Easily transferable to other formats e.g. MP3 players. 5.
    d) Content is sometimes available before commercial release date. 1.
    e) Find music which may not be found in shops. 5.

8.Do you still purchase physical formats of music (CD’s, vinyl etc)? (Please select appropriate answer).
    a) Yes

9.Please select one of the following answers to indicate how p2p websites have affected your consumption levels of physical formats of music?

10.After you have downloaded a track or an album, do you ever go out and buy the physical version i.e. a CD version of the single or the album? (Please select appropriate answer).
    c) Sometimes

11.When buying a physical format of music, do you ever download some of its content beforehand to ensure that it lives up your expectations? (Please select appropriate answer).
    d) Frequently

12.If one of your favourite artist’s was releasing a new album, would you be more inclined to buy it or download it for free from a p2p website? (please select appropriate answer)
    a) Buy it

13.Please select one of the following answers to indicate how p2p sites have affected the quantity of music which you consume.

14.Are you aware of the possible legal implications when downloading music content from p2p websites? (Please select appropriate answer).
    a) Yes

15.One suggestion which may be enforced is to stop the internet access of p2p users who fail to stop illegally downloading after 3 warnings from their internet service providers. How would such a remedy affect your downloading behaviour (please explain).
    I would change my ISP if they started to try and enforce silly nonsense like that.

16.What are your views towards the notion that music should be free? (please explain your answer)
    A musician is an artist creating a product. The real worth of a product to the musician should be in the live performance of that product in front of an appreciative audience. Recordings can be basically seen as commercials for the artists product.

The record companies are the leeches who gain the most from the recorded material, and they need to be eradicated from the music business.

The musician can still be paid for live performances, merchandising, and radio airtime.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    please delete
    Last edited by Sam29; 01-30-2009 at 06:44 PM.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    $SnoopDo2G$'s Avatar Don Doggy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    It doesn't look academic.... more RIAA n'shit stuff
    so fuck off mate...

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    What about if I don't download music?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by $SnoopDo2G$ View Post
    It doesn't look academic.... more RIAA n'shit stuff
    so fuck off mate...
    yup....strange...prolly the same guy who's been banned from other forum...his nick is file_sharing and yours is file-sharing...maybe same guy, huh?

7. File Sharing   -   #7

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by file-sharing View Post
    1. How did you first find out about p2p websites?
    My friends told me about file sharing.

2. How long have you been using p2p websites to download music content?
    e) More than 2 years (2004)

It weren't "websites" but stand-alone programs to share music.
    I knew some search engine to find mp3 files on the web before, but p2p was much better.

3. Could you provide a rough estimation towards how many tracks you download in an average week
    some tracks a week, maybe an album

4. Do you normally use the same p2p websites when downloading music files?
    not really but it's more convenient to use the same.

6. Specifically, what p2p websites do you normally use when downloading music files?
    P2P programs, blogs and portals.

7. Please mark on a scale of 1 to 5, the importance of the following factors when using p2p websites to download music. Please note that 5 signifies very important and 1 signifies minimally important.
    a) Do not have to pay for the content.
    b) More convenient than buying it in a shop.
    c) Easily transferable to other formats e.g. MP3 players.
    d) Content is sometimes available before commercial release date.
    e) Find music which may not be found in shops.
    a)5 b)4 c)4 d)1 e)5

13. Please select one of the following answers to indicate how p2p sites have affected the quantity of music which you consume.

16. What are your views towards the notion that music should be free? (please explain your answer)
    I love free music and I don't think it's that bad.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    ^^OP- Why don't you post your file sharing history?

I have nothing to write

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    shit, i can't give you any replies to your questionnaire, as i don't download anything off the interwebz! only the latest ubuntu distros.
    too much virus, trojans and animal sex on those sites.

there is one of them that is even called emule... can you imagine mule sex ?