Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uk Travel

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Let me add to samsamsamsam's recommendations by pointing out that the American Tourist Industry place Newcastle Upon Tyne in the Top Ten in the world for a good night out....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. Lounge   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I'm sure you will be fine , Hobbes.

Pack your own ice- they still use Lucas refridgerators.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Lounge   -   #13
    May I expose my ignorance? When I say UK, I mean England, Scotland, Wales (the country of my ancestors), and Ireland (north and south).

I would hate to appear and be a victim because I didn't understand what my presence meant to the locals.

I, of course, would love to explore London again, but I would like to see the whole of the UK. I am Welsh by ancestry, according to my grandmother.

As an American I am Welsh, Irish and German. I just don't want my appearance and accent to be a problem.

In 1983, your beer was not cold, has that been fixed?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Uk is probably one of the safest countries in the world really. probably safer than the us. Some beautifull areas. I would be more worried about the flight over

mes

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Let me add to samsamsamsam's recommendations by pointing out that the American Tourist Industry place Newcastle Upon Tyne in the Top Ten in the world for a good night out....
    One of the best cities in the UK for a night out

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Originally posted by mesmeric@15 September 2003 - 00:52
    Uk is probably one of the safest countries in the world really. probably safer than the us. Some beautifull areas. I would be more worried about the flight over

mes
    No doubt about the beauty. If 28 days later does any justice, it shows how beautiful your country is.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. Lounge   -   #17
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    You will find that its pretty much the same but different if you catch my drift.

Having joined this forum when I lived in Boston, and having been back in the UK since June I can give a pretty reasonable perspective I think.

The eating out is not so good unless you pay lots.

In fact pretty much everything is more expensive.

You buy cigarettes from the shop (not the pharmacy!!!! how strange!&#33

Its a fairly safe place unless you go somewhere obviously dodgy, remember, very few guns.

Most people are pretty tolerant and friendly...just allow for the English reserve.

Brits have a tendency to swear a lot....dont worry they are often just saying hello!

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Forum Star
    In 1983, I spent 2 weeks in London, I understand the climate, I was just wondering about the response of locals to an obvious American.
    hey hobbes

it's all up to you i suppose, like with anything. you already know about the weather and stuff, so the rest is just take people as you find them. this place has it's fair share of twats like anywhere else, just try to avoid them. personally i dont know anyone that would noise you up just for the sake of your nationality.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    ....and you can smoke in more places than the US!

Having grown up here I want out and have lived in Thailand for a couple of years. Having returned I find that from other people's perspective it's a good place to visit - but expensive compared with other more interesting holidays.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by samsamsamsam@14 September 2003 - 23:54
    One of the best cities in the UK for a night out
    New Orleans and Rio are in the UK?

They were on the same list

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast