Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Uk Travel

Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    This has been one well, interesting topic. Quite frankly, I think you're expecting a bit much. If people heard you talking in a bar and heard your accent, there would be no mention of it. You aren't anything special and nobody would give a shit
    (there's that english tendency to swear ) The only thing I would say you'd need to be slightly careful is if you go into the dodgey areas in any city and into the pubs there. Just don't look anyone in the eye and you might not get stabbed

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Poster
    Originally posted by JPaul+ 15 September 2003 - 02:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul &#064; 15 September 2003 - 02:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Seriously, just stick to England, you don&#39;t want to be going anywhere else, there is no point. There is nothing of cultural or historic significance anywhere else in the UK. I hope you enjoy your visit, if you make it. [/b]

I cannot believe you said that. I know a few people in Glasgow who, having been born there, don&#39;t really like the place. But you cannot say there is nothing of cultural or historical interest. I believe you yourself live in Glasgow. Where i wonder - Castlemilk? Easterhouse?

Having lived in the West End of Glasgow for years now, i really love the place. There&#39;s masses of culture in Glasgow, theatre, museums, art galleries, not to mention the best Victorian architecture to be found anywhere. And that&#39;s not even mentioning Edinburgh, which is second only to London for richness of culture and history.

So you might gather Hobbes, that i suggest you come to Scotland - Glasgow and Edinburgh are great places to visit. I&#39;ve done a lot of travelling, and still rate Scotland very highly as a destination.

To answer the original question regarding safety. You&#39;ll be fine mate&#33;

EDIT
    <!--QuoteBegin-Proper Bo
    @ I tell thee, 15 September 2003 - 23:20
    Just don&#39;t look anyone in the eye and you might not get stabbed [/quote]
    That&#39;s an awful exaggeration.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Originally posted by Proper Bo@ I tell thee,15 September 2003 - 23:20
    This has been one well, interesting topic. Quite frankly, I think you&#39;re expecting a bit much. If people heard you talking in a bar and heard your accent, there would be no mention of it. You aren&#39;t anything special &nbsp; and nobody would give a shit
    (there&#39;s that english tendency to swear ) The only thing I would say you&#39;d need to be slightly careful is if you go into the dodgey areas in any city and into the pubs there. Just don&#39;t look anyone in the eye and you might not get stabbed
    Same here. Eye contact with Hispanic males is considered a challenge to their masculinity. The shorter they are, the more angry they be.

One thing I have learned in bars is that some people are willing to die over a trivial matter. I value my life too much, and have no interest in bar fights and such.

I&#39;m still worried about the moors at night, though.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. Lounge   -   #34
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    So....which part of this wonderful Island are you going to be visiting?

Our lovely tourist board officials (particularly the Glaswegian ones) will give you a full and varied perspective on the vibrant culture you will be experiencing.

You will then have a greater idea of what you can expect and can take notes beforehand, thus preventing any Americanised stereotyped faux pas you might otherwise make&#33;

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Originally posted by hobbes@15 September 2003 - 23:32

Same here.&nbsp; Eye contact with Hispanic males is considered a challenge to their masculinity.&nbsp; The shorter they are, the more angry they be.

One thing I have learned in bars is that some people are willing to die over a trivial matter.&nbsp; I value my life too much, and have no interest in bar fights and such.
    it&#39;s called "short man syndrome" a lot of little skinhead men round here have it and try to start fights randomly

PS Beware the moon lad, stick to the path

@liquidacid...true but it does depend on where you are, I&#39;ve been in some damn shady places around here, quite scary sometimes. Seen people get glassed/bottled/stabbed over nothing

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Seen people get glassed/bottled/stabbed over nothing
    Were they wearing Red n White, or speaking with a Mackum accent?

You fu-el....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. Lounge   -   #37
    im not sure, but they were drinking ace lager and were asking "who&#39;s keeys are theys?"

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Well, it wasnt for nothing then......definatly Mackums

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Originally posted by Proper Bo+ I tell thee,15 September 2003 - 23:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Proper Bo &#064; I tell thee,15 September 2003 - 23:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@15 September 2003 - 23:32

Same here. Eye contact with Hispanic males is considered a challenge to their masculinity. The shorter they are, the more angry they be.

One thing I have learned in bars is that some people are willing to die over a trivial matter. I value my life too much, and have no interest in bar fights and such.
    it&#39;s called "short man syndrome" a lot of little skinhead men round here have it and try to start fights randomly

PS Beware the moon lad, stick to the path

[/b][/quote]
    Isn&#39;t Lamsey a skin-head or is he reformed? I still remember the angry Lamsey avatar.

Too be honest, I really have no fear whatsoever, I have no expectation of poor treatment, and I was pondering that this mentality was the best way to get into trouble. I just thought I would ask to be on the safe side.

As to where I would go, Sara. We are talking speculation on speculation. The thought came up yesterday and since many y&#39;all (Texas word) are from the island I knew I would get plenty of reliable feedback.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@15 September 2003 - 23:44
    Well, it wasnt for nothing then......definatly Mackums

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast