Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I Allways Leave My Computer On?

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by adamp2p+15 September 2003 - 20:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 15 September 2003 - 20:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wolfmight@15 September 2003 - 03:03
    hmm, i been turnin mine off every night.
    I got a Radeon 9500 Pro graphics card that required one of those HD power supply cords to be connected to it also. It uses alot of poWer&#33;
    I am guessing mogadishu has a radeon pro card that has the extra power.
    I paid &#036;200 and dont want it to burn up

edit:
    btw i got a CPU fan (slightly larger heatsink than normal... rectangled)
    and a PCI Slot Fan (than is put at the bottom slot on the computer case that doesnt lead to a PCI input)
    By the way Wolfmight, how is the 9500 Pro working for ya? Pretty nice card, eh?

The card gave me delayed write errors&#33; Until I figured out that I needed a MUCH more powerful power supply to keep it happy.

Read this about avoiding problems with your 9500 pro [/b][/quote]
    Never gave me any problems.. I already got 300w power supply.. Works Great.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    I would like to leave my pc on too at night, but it sucks up alot of power. with a 19" moniter and a video card that needs more energy then the sun, gf4 ti4200, and keyboard and opty mouse. Thats alot of juice. I do leave it on for downloads then turn it off and go back to bed lol.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    @LaVaNaNo,

About the 19" monitor that sucks a lot of power. READ THE WHOLE THREAD.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    any size moniter.. heh just turn it off.

Wonder if turning the moniter on and off so much would damage it too?
    probably.. but then again it gets damaged just leaving it on.. and that standby mode where the light turns orange on the moniter still uses a little bit of power.
    I&#39;m guessing the orange deal is best

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by Wolfmight+16 September 2003 - 03:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wolfmight &#064; 16 September 2003 - 03:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by adamp2p@15 September 2003 - 20:05
    <!--QuoteBegin-Wolfmight
    @15 September 2003 - 03:03
    I got a Radeon 9500 Pro graphics card that required one of those HD power supply cords to be connected to it also. It uses alot of poWer&#33;

edit:
    and a PCI Slot Fan (than is put at the bottom slot on the computer case that doesnt lead to a PCI input)

The card gave me delayed write errors&#33; Until I figured out that I needed a MUCH more powerful power supply to keep it happy.

Read this about avoiding problems with your 9500 pro
    Never gave me any problems.. I already got 300w power supply.. Works Great. [/b][/quote]
    Is 300 watts enough? What other power claimers do you have in your system? RAID? CPU? etc. etc...it is kinda weird that I had the same error as Tweakhound with the ATI delayed write errors...what was really strange is that everything was working well until all of the sudden after about 2 months, I started encountering problems after I started to add more components to my computer.

And Wolfmight, also, do you use Rage 3d tweak with your card? I highly advise it as it has the best built in overclocker and many other tweaks that are explained and otherwise unavilable in the ATI control panel.

This Radeon tweak guide may come into handy...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that Win 98 has a memory leak. The longer your computer is on, the slower it is.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Originally posted by adamp2p+16 September 2003 - 09:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p &#064; 16 September 2003 - 09:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@16 September 2003 - 03:44
    Originally posted by adamp2p@15 September 2003 - 20:05
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@15 September 2003 - 03:03

edit:

Read this about avoiding problems with your 9500 pro
    Never gave me any problems.. I already got 300w power supply.. Works Great.
    Is 300 watts enough? What other power claimers do you have in your system? RAID? CPU? etc. etc...it is kinda weird that I had the same error as Tweakhound with the ATI delayed write errors...what was really strange is that everything was working well until all of the sudden after about 2 months, I started encountering problems after I started to add more components to my computer.

And Wolfmight, also, do you use Rage 3d tweak with your card? I highly advise it as it has the best built in overclocker and many other tweaks that are explained and otherwise unavilable in the ATI control panel.

This Radeon tweak guide may come into handy... [/b]

My Power suckers are:
    2.0ghz CPU, 512mb ram, 80gb 7200 rpm hd, ATI Wonder VE, ATI Radeon 9500 Pro, Linksys NIC, PCI Fan & cpu fan (fans dont use much), 52x24x52 CDRW, DVD Rom drive.

<!--QuoteBegin-dwightfry
    @16 September 2003 - 09:22
    If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that Win 98 has a memory leak. The longer your computer is on, the slower it is.[/quote]
    I agree, my school had windows 98 and left it on all the time.. When it starting running very slow.. i would restart it and boom it ran like 5 times faster or somethin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123