Thread: IDM NZB Support?

Just wondering, does Internet Download Manager support the D/L of NZB files? I haven't been able to get it to work but I could be missing something. thanks.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    who cares/who knows
    use a real nzb application.

http://www.altbinz.net/
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ericab View Post
    who cares/who knows

First time I've heard of this one...I guess I'll try it. I only wanted to stick with IDM because I can use it and didn't want to learn a new program or go on a quest across the internet trying to figure out what's the best one to use. So who cares? Me I guess.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by coltraz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ericab View Post
    who cares/who knows

First time I've heard of this one...I guess I'll try it. I only wanted to stick with IDM because I can use it and didn't want to learn a new program or go on a quest across the internet trying to figure out what's the best one to use. So who cares? Me I guess.
    If you don't need headers then go for Alt.Binz. Donate and get upgrades for life.

If you want to download headers you should go for Newsbin Pro. It's also a one time payment, it can download headers and large queues without crashing.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    What are headers? I looked it up here and got "Headers are the remnants of the old way of browsing through newsgroups. They are simply the subject or in the case of a file the filename." That doesn't exactly enlighten me. What's the difference between headers and non-headers? Sounds the same to me... :s

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by coltraz View Post
    What are headers? I looked it up here and got "Headers are the remnants of the old way of browsing through newsgroups. They are simply the subject or in the case of a file the filename." That doesn't exactly enlighten me. What's the difference between headers and non-headers? Sounds the same to me... :s
    Maybe this makes it a little more clear.

Newsreaders
    A news reader is a program that you install on your computer to connect to a news server where all the messages are stored. Upon first running, the news reader will connect to the news server and retrieve a list of all the newsgroups that are carried by that news server. When you want to see a list of the messages in a newsgroup, the news reader will connect to the news server and retrieve the list of messages (the headers of the messages) in that group without actually downloading the messages themselves (the body of the messages). Now you can browse through the list of messages to see what is available in that group at the time. If you decide to download something that you see listed, simply highlight it (if it has more than 1 file, highlight all parts) and the news reader will download the messages and decode them into binary files. This list is just the top 10 newsreaders from our database, you can get the
    The point of downloading headers and browse the groups is to see all the stuff that is available in a group. There are a lot of stuff that isn't posted as NZBs (like here and other places) and the search engines isn't always "able" to list everything.

Just explore that part of the newsgroup world later if you feel you get what you want from NZBs and search engines.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Headers are old school imo. I haven't downloaded headers in a very long time. Something like Newsleecher has a built in search engine, Alt.Binz has some free search engines and Easynews has a search engine as well. I remember when I used to download headers in the old days. It was such a pain. I mean, you sometimes had to download hundreds of megs in headers.

About IDM and NZB. I do agree that you should use a real usenet client like Alt.Binz