Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TOP SECRET! enter at your own risk, they may be watching

Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post
    No they don't. They simply don't have time to do that. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to get you to trade "secretly" with them so they can scam you and make it so you can't prove what happened. The truth is trackers don't really care if you trade, unless you PM them telling them you're a trader. Don't worry about it too much.
    With respect, this is poor advice imo.

Some sites actively reward members for catching people trading or selling invites and I know for a fact that torrent-invites is monitored by quite a number of sites and their staff and members. For instance, there's a long thread on HDBits at the moment where people have been caught breaking rules by posting on torrent-invites. The member who reports the rule-breaking member gets a reward (ratio boost) and the member reported gets banned.

HDBits arent alone in this practice. FTN do it also, and I'm sure many other sites do too.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    llmercll, you're obviously a noob at these sorts of sites, otherwise your wouldn't have asked that question. Being a noob and having no experience trading is a good thing! It means you're at a stage you can decide whether you want to go the trading way, or refrain from it. The former might be possibly a bit faster in the short run, but in the long run you're going to get caught, multiple times, and denied entrance to many sites which are more privacy conscious and frown upon this sort of activity. The latter way means it might take you a bit longer to make friends, let people know you, however in the long run you'll be welcome at any tracker you choose.

It's the blue or red pill thing. Either way, the decision you make will influence your future in the torrent community.
    Last edited by pro267; 02-08-2009 at 02:29 PM.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by pro267 View Post
    llmercll, you're obviously a noob at these sorts of sites, otherwise your wouldn't have asked that question. Being a noob and having no experience trading is a good thing! It means you're at a stage you can decide whether you want to go the trading way, or refrain for it. The former might be possibly a bit faster in the short run, but in the long run you're going to get caught, multiple times, and denied entrance to many sites which are more privacy conscious and frown upon this sort of activity. The latter way means it might take you a bit longer to make friends, let people know you, however in the long run you'll be welcome at any tracker you choose.

It's the blue or red pill thing. Either way, the decision you make will influence your future in the torrent community.

Listen to this guy, impossible a better advice.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Col. Skillz's Avatar Bacco,Tabacco,Venere
    yeah, i haven't traded anything and from what everyone is telling me i shouldn't.

i don't know why though, why does everyone frown down on it? btw, were talking about trading INVITES right? not accounts?

i mean, even if many PT rules, it says you cannot publicly give away accounts, and that happens all the time. they also say you cant trade. if that's the case, why is trading looked down upon while giving away isn't?

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by llmercll View Post
    yeah, i haven't traded anything and from what everyone is telling me i shouldn't.

i don't know why though, why does everyone frown down on it? btw, were talking about trading INVITES right? not accounts?

i mean, even if many PT rules, it says you cannot publicly give away accounts, and that happens all the time. they also say you cant trade. if that's the case, why is trading looked down upon while giving away isn't?
    let's put it very simple: respect site rules!

take this advice or leave it.

just don't come crying here in three month: "i was a n00b and nobody told me that trading was wrong. i promise i'll never do it again"

you won't get a second chance.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post

let's put it very simple: respect site rules!

take this advice or leave it.

just don't come crying here in three month: "i was a n00b and nobody told me that trading was wrong. i promise i'll never do it again"

you won't get a second chance.

what do you mean trading, exactly? is accepting a public giveaway considered trading? what about being the one giving it away? to me that is a giveaway, not a trade.

to me trading is when you give one invite for another, am i wrong here? please, correct me if so because im starting to think trading isn't what i thought it was.
    Last edited by llmercll; 02-08-2009 at 03:27 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7

That's a very good point you're raising there llmercll. The short version answer to your question is that most private sites frown upon public giveaways equally to the way they frown upon trading.

The longer version to that answer is a bit more complex. First, you need to understand that trading (whether invites OR accounts), allows people who are not trusted to gain entrance to a site, which tries to keep its privacy. For instance, imagine a private tracker that is trying to keep itself under the radar; traded accounts/invites are simple ways by which an anti-piracy organization may gain entrance to the site. Trackers have to continuously track members' accounts to make sure that that doesn't happen, and accounts changing hands are making that job a lot harder. Giveaways of accounts and invites, while they may seem altruistic and innocent at first, may have a similar end result in that respect.

Now to the "tricky" part: a lot of people do not understand, or do not want to understand the reasoning behind the fact that many trackers are opposed to giveaways, some even think it's because trackers want to go higher in that stupid "rarity" ranking here. They don't seem to realize that most trackers would love to be as low on that list as possible. Some of these people even start invite forums, similar to the one you've encountered, which are seemingly opposed to trading yet encourage their members to share invites/accounts amongst themselves. This encouragement comes from these people, not from BT trackers. These people think they're alright and are helping the BT community, while in fact they simply don't understand that they are, in fact, as hurtful and dangerous, security-wise, to the community as traders are.

That's my 2 cents. I'm not going to go on as I have no intention of starting another trader vs. non-trader flaming war. Hopefully, that clarifies a bit about the facts behind the scenes for you, so you can now make a conscious decision as to your future in the community.
    Last edited by pro267; 02-08-2009 at 03:33 PM.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by pro267 View Post

That's a very good point you're raising there llmercll. The short version answer to your question is that most private sites frown upon public giveaways equally to the way they frown upon trading.

The longer version to that answer is a bit more complex. First, you need to understand that trading (whether invites OR accounts), allows people who are not trusted to gain entrance to a site, which tries to keep its privacy. For instance, imagine a private tracker that is trying to keep itself under the radar; traded accounts/invites are simple ways by which an anti-piracy organization may gain entrance to the site. Trackers have to continuously track members' accounts to make sure that that doesn't happen, and accounts changing hands are making that job a lot harder. Giveaways of accounts and invites, while they may seem altruistic and innocent at first, may have a similar end result in that respect.

Now to the "tricky" part: a lot of people do not understand, or do not want to understand the reasoning behind the fact that many trackers are opposed to giveaways, some even think it's because trackers want to go higher in that stupid "rarity" ranking here. They don't seem to realize that most trackers would love to be as low on that list as possible. Some of these people even start invite forums, similar to the one you've encountered, which are seemingly opposed to trading yet encourage their members to share invites/accounts amongst themselves. This encouragement comes from these people, not from BT trackers. These people think they're alright and are helping the BT community, while in fact they simply don't understand that they are, in fact, as hurtful and dangerous, security-wise, to the community as traders are.

That's my 2 cents. I'm not going to go on as I have no intention of starting another trader vs. non-trader flaming war. Hopefully, that clarifies a bit about the facts behind the scenes for you, so you can now make a conscious decision as to your future in the community.
    thanks a lot for that post, it cleared up a lot. i really was confused why there was so much hate on traders and not as much on givaways. like you said it open it the same security gaps.

With that said i will certainly be careful from now on, and limit my giveaway business. a lot more than i was a few days ago, i wasn't even crossing out my name on ratioproofs ,OUCH.

another thing i noticed. a lot of people probably do giveaways to boost their rep, so when a giveaway comes along they want they have a better shot at getting it. sounds like trading to me

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    in some ways, giveaways are worse than trades. many invite giveaways have such low requirements anyone could sign up and gain an invite to a private site. tbh i think both are unsafe for trackers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swepsycho View Post
    revtt and tl is n00bs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swepsycho View Post
    i don`t use mozilla n00b...... is addon in internet exp...?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    hangemhigh's Avatar semi retired BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean their not watching...
    http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=146759&dateline=1186088996

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast