Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The history and future of BT

The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I know we have some veteran torrenters here so I'd like to hear what they think the Bt world is like in comparison to what it's used to be and where it's heading.

I've talked to some staffers at old sites and they think that the best year for torrenting was 2006. Very little seedboxes and a mature user base. Now everyone has a seedbox so you're paying for stuff you ought to be getting for free. also BT has become very popular so now we have 13 year olds joining,...
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Lovestoned's Avatar #Indie BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Well, everything changes once stuffs ever get publicised about and there would eventually be *insert something here* kiddies.

When there were very little seedboxes, people who don't have one will feel rather dissapointed that the seedbox by the other user is actually making their ratio going downwards and thus they would need to work harder on it so the number of seedboxes will go even higher and higher.

With the help of OVH and resellers, anyone with a small set of money can eventually be a seedboxer too with a lil' bit of compromise if you're a student.

It's still very easy to attain a acceptable sharing ratio on sites with massive amount of peers, such like Torrentleech or IPT so seedboxing is still never a need for on them.

But on sites like ScT or SCC competition is really tough and people will start to lash out their alter egos and get even better boxes just to be the winner.

Well from what you've said I also think that it's a great thing that 13 y/o's are taking up piracy from the view of a piracy user only though.

More peers, much easier to seed.

As the years go by OVH will start to offer even cheaper boxes and much more people will be getting 1gbit just not to be the majority but the centre of attention indeed.
    Back after going through many ordeals of paying for my internet.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    BANNED
    future of BT?

get a seedbox or have a decent home connection. Especially as quality increases for both music and movies and games increasing in GB, you need a higher upload.

children joining BT? I do not care to be honest. As long as I can seed and leech it is all oke. But for the community adolescents is cooler imo.

Real future? BT will get bigger and bigger if no other methods pop up. If the userbases on the existing sites stay the same more sites will pop up which means the topsites right now might not be the topsites anymore in the future. Communities will be not that 'close' though, on bigger sites.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    E3DaMeX's Avatar Da 2nd Boss
    Actually on SCC seedboxes aren't even really needed. I have a pretty shitty upload speed but I have almost uploaded almost a hundred GBs in a week or two. =P But seedboxes definitely look like they're going to be used much more. And it's true that more younger people are getting into BT every day....I would know because I'm one of them. XD

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Lovestoned's Avatar #Indie BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Malus View Post
    Actually on SCC seedboxes aren't even really needed. I have a pretty shitty upload speed but I have almost uploaded almost a hundred GBs in a week or two. =P But seedboxes definitely look like they're going to be used much more. And it's true that more younger people are getting into BT every day....I would know because I'm one of them. XD
    Sounds like you're a ratio cheater?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    BT used to be open, if you knew about it, you were part of it.

Today it's all about exclusivity, along with pseudo-secretive behavior.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Maybe its because i am disilusioned atm, all the fighting and bickering is pissing me off, we are turning into the scene ffs.

But i think it will all implode in on itself if we cant sort out our differences, i am not saying every tracker hates every other tracker, but i am just getting a bit sick of all the crap and shit throwing that is going on atm.

it is very easy to start spreading a rumour, that is full of shit, its a lot harder to wash it off and get rid of the smell.
    Last edited by stoi; 02-08-2009 at 06:59 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnentier View Post
    BT used to be open, if you knew about it, you were part of it.

Today it's all about exclusivity, along with pseudo-secretive behavior.
    ThePirateBay much?

BitTorrent itself isn't really great with the human nature itself when it comes to piracy since most people are rather narcissistic or maybe would try not to seed back to lower the chances of getting a letter.

What you're talking about are all the trackers in the scene race and I can list you a few trackers which does not have that mindset.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    E3DaMeX's Avatar Da 2nd Boss
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestoned View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malus View Post
    Sounds like you're a ratio cheater?
    WTF, how does that sound like I'm a ratio cheater? I seed the F-L packs and music.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    alcoholik's Avatar Drinker BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    i think that it's to many who have seed boxes now 2006 WAS the best year for filesharing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast