Thread: Reformatting

Im proabably going to sound like a newbie, but how do you reformat? Everyone talks about reformatting your drive and i never know what you guys talk about. What does it actually do? And how do you do it? Is there any setbacks? Should i do it or not?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Benno's Avatar Poster

Oh i love this picture.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Ramones53rd3rd@15 September 2003 - 16:01
    Im proabably going to sound like a newbie, but how do you reformat? Everyone talks about reformatting your drive and i never know what you guys talk about. What does it actually do? And how do you do it? Is there any setbacks? Should i do it or not?
    Should you do it?

At this point, decidedly NO!

Reformatting is simply wiping your hard drive squeeky clean and then setting up the file structure appropriate to your OS. XP uses ( generally...) the NTFS file system and earlier Windows OS use FAT 32.

Then you must reinstall your operating system.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    IF YOU HAVE a windows xp disk..then put it in and it will ask you if you need to format (reformat) your drive before installing...select yes and use NTFS NOT FAT32....then once it is done formating (dont use quick format) just select your formatted hard drive and install...EASY...if you are using windows 98....press F8 while booting up and select COMMAND PROMT. then type format C: then click enter then press Y and it will reformat..then put in your OS disk....in mellinium there is a patch a guy has made to make it boot in command...cuz you cant select to do it...search for that on google
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@16 September 2003 - 04:19
    IF YOU HAVE a windows xp disk..then put it in and it will ask you if you need to format (reformat) your drive before installing...select yes and use NTFS NOT FAT32....then once it is done formating (dont use quick format) just select your formatted hard drive and install...EASY...if you are using windows 98....press F8 while booting up and select COMMAND PROMT. then type format C: then click enter then press Y and it will reformat..then put in your OS disk....in mellinium there is a patch a guy has made to make it boot in command...cuz you cant select to do it...search for that on google
    Be aware that you will loose ALL data that is stored on the HD if you do this.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    Originally posted by Benno+16 September 2003 - 09:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Benno @ 16 September 2003 - 09:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@16 September 2003 - 04:19
    IF YOU HAVE a windows xp disk..then put it in and it will ask you if you need to format (reformat) your drive before installing...select yes and use NTFS NOT FAT32....then once it is done formating (dont use quick format) just select your formatted hard drive and install...EASY...if you are using windows 98....press F8 while booting up and select COMMAND PROMT.&nbsp; then type format C:&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; then click enter then press Y and it will reformat..then put in your OS disk....in mellinium there is a patch a guy has made to make it boot in command...cuz you cant select to do it...search for that on google
    Be aware that you will loose ALL data that is stored on the HD if you do this. [/b][/quote]
    people don&#39;t know they lose their data when formating??