Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good newsreader for a weak computer

I'm looking for a good newsreader for binaries that can support a slow computer.

3 GHZ P4 HT if you are wondering.

P.S. I have tried Altbinz and newsleecher

Thanks in advance

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Ha, the PC I'm on now is less than that

I've been using Newsleecher no problems, and I have Newsbin Pro installed too no problems, along with SABnzbd and Alt.Binz, but don't use them.
    [center]

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    My problem is that in Atlbinz it decodes very slowly. I tried SABnzbd but the problem is if I close the window I won't be able to bring it up again.

Newsleecher I guess I need to retry that one again.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Same PC as now now, using Newsleecher.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    Ive used them all pretty much and id say newsleecher decodes the fastest

edit: thats not really a slow pc any newsreader will be fine on that
    Last edited by dutchmaster420; 02-11-2009 at 12:59 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I'll add my comment and agree with a couple others, my 'main' computer I do news stuff on is about 1/3rd as much horsepower as you have...!

BUT, it's the ancillary functions, like winrar, and Quickpar, that suck up every inch of breath your machine will supply. If those functions are 'built-in' to the newsreader, and you can't 'off-load' those functions to a better machine, then you're kinda stuck.

But 3Ghz! And how much memory, and what OS are you running? Those enter into the mix. I have run into folks with XP and decent CPU BUT trying to run with <1G of ram, and very minimal HD space. These are the kinda folks that the new Win7 is aimed at, who try and lo-ball their systems at the edges, and run into trouble.

But I'm a W2k guy; lean and mean. And off-load those CPU intensive function off to other, more expansive, machines in my LAN. Yes, I got a Vista in the mix, but I turn in on maybe 2 times a week if that.

But like I said, the other things enter into the mix; 3Ghz is surely enough power to bear on any newgroup task (either the newsreader itself or any ancillary task), but again, memory and disc size/type enter into it as well.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Here are my specs which I built in 2004

P4 3GHZ
    2.5 Ghz of ram DDR
    nvidia 7600 GT 256 MB with 579 Core Clock AGP 8X (upgraded after 2004)

And for my download folder I got a 1TB Seagate on external via USB 2.0.

I'm thinking of trying eSata for faster transfer rates.

UPDATE: So I tried newsleecher and I'm downloading at 1.73 MB/s seems to be the fastest that I can get during peak times. And it's decoding pretty nicely.

Is there a way to stop samples being qued up in newsleecher same as altbinz?
    Last edited by sassan; 02-11-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    My system isn't even close to that, I have a 500GB Western Digital that transfers 3GB in about 3 minutes.

If you just use you normal drive as you download folder things will be alot smoother. I've got 2 internal drive, one with 2 partitions booting XP/7, and the other for downloads...I have no slow downs, even when Newsleecher is repairing/extracting the files.
    [center]

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    My system isn't even close to that, I have a 500GB Western Digital that transfers 3GB in about 3 minutes.

If you just use you normal drive as you download folder things will be alot smoother. I've got 2 internal drive, one with 2 partitions booting XP/7, and the other for downloads...I have no slow downs, even when Newsleecher is repairing/extracting the files.
    I lost 250 GB due to the S.M.A.R.T. error , had it set up like that.

The reason I made this post is that I never had altbinz decoding this slow. It's a first time.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    I ran Newsleecher on a Pentium 2 at 200Mhz or something, with my max of ~700 KB/s. There were no problems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast