Software Palace Blog

You all probably already heard about Google Chrome, new web browser from search engine giant Google. Since Chrome is published, it’s very good performances were put forward. As a result, it was soon noticed two gaps compared with the features and extensions. It is clear that the Google browser is not a wealth of functions of all kinds, and extensions are in turn a key to the success of Firefox, if not the primary one. By the latest informations I have chaince to hear Google Chrome should be prepaired to support extensions/addons by the end of May.

The source of the information is official because it comes from Google but it does not warrant the launch of such a platform extensions. 27 and 28 May in fact be held at the Moscone Center in San Francisco the event Google I/O, dedicated to developers. One of the sessions has attracted some attention: “Developing Extensions for Google Chrome“. Here what the message from Google says “Learn how Google Chrome makes it easy to write extensions using the web technologies you already know. This talk will cover the basics of the extension system (distribution/packaging, installation, updates), as well as the different APIs to enhance with the browser.”

Distribution, installation and updates will be among the main topics, all accompanied by the necessary APIs to developers. Google promises that it will be very easy to create extensions for Chrome, using Web technology already known. Well, it is suggested that it is a call and offer of a seduction, but Google has already indicated that we should not expect a real “fair”, comparable to that available on Mozilla Firefox.

Chromium developers, open source browser that is the basis for Google Chrome, had also posted a list of things they would like to appear in the form of extensions. Without being exhaustive, it set the tone on what is “good” to find:

* Managing Bookmarks
* Navigation tools
* Recognition of particular content, such as Skype links
* As content filtering and parental control Adblock
* Help downloading as DownThemAll and FlashGot
* Adding features like ForecastFox, FoxyTunes, GooglePreview, etc…

About time, I would use Chrome if it supported add-on's it would be so much better.