Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: New Cpu

lynx's Avatar .
    The problem is that the mobo does not support thoroughbred processors, so the signals for multipliers etc are probably being misinterpreted. Alternatively, check the settings for Dimm speed (set it to SPD) and dimm/pci auto detect (set to enabled), but I doubt these will have any effect - go for a new mobo.

Edit: FSB speed and DDR speed are NOT the same thing. And while the chipset may support 266FSB, other things on the board do not support the thoroughbred chip.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    My original intent was to buy a new motherboard and cpu, but I decided I couldn't afford it, so I bought the fastest cpu that I was told my mobo could handle.

things are running fine at there default settings, is it vital I get a new motherboard?
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    Then you might be out of luck, dude. How much did you spend on the chip? Can you return it? Oh well...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    If its working fine and you haven't noticed any problems then maybe it will run fine, but you definitely won't get your money's worth in performance terms. I would probably recommend you try and get a refund on the chip and spend some of the money on a ram upgrade (unless you've already got lots of ram) to tide you over until you've got enough to do a proper motherboard, ram and processor upgrade.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@19 September 2003 - 17:31
    The problem is that the mobo does not support thoroughbred processors, so the signals for multipliers etc are probably being misinterpreted. Alternatively, check the settings for Dimm speed (set it to SPD) and dimm/pci auto detect (set to enabled), but I doubt these will have any effect - go for a new mobo.

Edit: FSB speed and DDR speed are NOT the same thing. And while the chipset may support 266FSB, other things on the board do not support the thoroughbred chip.
    2600 is a palamino isnt it?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    Thanks a bunch guys. I learned a lot. B)
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+20 September 2003 - 00:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 20 September 2003 - 00:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@19 September 2003 - 17:31

2600 is a palamino isnt it? [/b][/quote]
    No, The palomino range (also known as model 6) stops at XP2100+. The Thoroughbred range (model 8) covers XP1700+ to XP2700+ (overlaps model 6) and the Barton range (model 10) starts at XP2500+ and currently goes as far as XP3200+.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456