Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Hard Drive

sorry for starting another of these "which is best" topics, but i'd appreciate some help
    i'm looking for a new hard drive, i've decided i want 120 gb and am looking for 7200rpm and 8MB cache.

this is the drive i'm looking at currently

can anyone suggest either a better drive, or a cheaper online shop for this drive, please?

p.s. u.k. retailers only and not any shop which requires a credit card (i only have a switch card)

thanks in advance
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Western Digital is alright but its not wroth 85 pounds. (one advise never buy Maxtor hard drive even though it is cheap still they are not stable enough).

IBM (Hitachi) hard drive
    i would tell u to buy the above hard drive, its the best one, blieve me i had it for so long and i never had any problems and its very fast as well&#33;&#33;

EDIT: its not a uk store but dont worry they wont jack u up and u will get it cheaper as well and if u still wana go for a uk store then look for this hard drive&#33;&#33;&#33;

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    My Maxtor HDD is very very stable&#33;

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    i found that drive here in the u.k, however, it&#39;s pretty much the same price as the wd one i was gonna get

i&#39;m not sure about this one though, as i can&#39;t see any feedback on it

i&#39;ll have a look for some benchmarks, but thanks for mentioning it

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    For me I&#39;d get either a Seagate, WD or maybe Maxtor in that order. But the thing thats been overlooked here are the warranties. 90% of HDD today have a 1yr p&l but some still have a 3yr p&l. I&#39;d get a 3yr.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    the first drive i linked to has a 3 year limited warranty, whatever that means
    somehow that doesn&#39;t sound too good...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@16 September 2003 - 14:36
    the first drive i linked to has a 3 year limited warranty, whatever that means
    somehow that doesn&#39;t sound too good...
    Look, the 3 year warranty is mostly standard, although I know on the last one I got, I think it was five.

Your choice is fine by means of company, Western Digital, is a very popular, and highly trusted catagory, and the 8MB one is a must.

Now, as for price, I dont feel like converting pounds to dollars right now, but I know I can get a 120GB drive, for about 92-98 bucks here in the US. www.newegg.com

And yeah, I think that price is for an OEM drive, but umm, thats mostly what drives are these days anyway, and all u just need is an IDE cable, and you usually have two of those in your comp already anyway, so OEM is fine for Drive&#39;s.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    yeah, i already have the necessary cables and screws for a new drive

also, i believe the current exchange rate is approx &#036;1.65 per £1, so &#036;95 would be approx £60

you&#39;ve got to remember that america generally has MUCH lower prices than europe though

especially on petrol (it&#39;s about £0.80 per litre in scotland )

i wasn&#39;t &#39;complaining&#39; about the 3 year warranty, i was &#39;complaining&#39; about the term limited being used

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    _John_Lennon_
    Posted: 16 September 2003 - 17:09
    Look, the 3 year warranty is mostly standard, although I know on the last one I got, I think it was five.
    No way. At least not in the USA. The standard now is 1yr. The exception is 3yrs or more.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by zapjb@16 September 2003 - 16:43
    _John_Lennon_
    Posted: 16 September 2003 - 17:09
    No way. At least not in the USA. The standard now is 1yr. The exception is 3yrs or more.
    Really? Hmm, I think I need to go check some HD boxes I have then.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast