Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for linux

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I'm looking to play avi files (divx) on an Acer Aspire One which runs on Linpus. The built in player can't do it so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    I've never heard of that version of Linux before...but you should be able to add VLC through the add/remove program tool in Linux, or if not, just grab the lastest package for Linux from VLC...I use VLC on my Kubuntu and Ubuntu box and works fine.
    [center]

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    I'm looking to play avi files (divx) on an Acer Aspire One which runs on Linpus. The built in player can't do it so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Linpus is an distribution without an community...

you can build vlc from source to get it working

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown_error View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post

Thanks in advance.

Linpus is an distribution without an community...

you can build vlc from source to get it working
    Sorry that means absolutely nothing to me but thanks anyway.

I only want to do it because the linpux came with the netbook. That aside I have no knowledge whatsoever of linux.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    kaffeine's Avatar No queda el tiempo
    I found this on the VLC help forum:
    http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48759

(the question is from someone with Linpus trying to install VLC)

Hi. I am new to Linpus as a result of receiving an Aspire One and I had exactly the same problem. However I discovered that this works:

$> su -
    #> rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fed ... noarch.rpm
    #> yum install vlc
    #> yum install python-vlc mozilla-vlc (optionnals)
    Open a terminal and type that. That should install VLC Media Player.

If everything goes well, type "vlc &" in a terminal (without the quotes) and it will start the player.
    Last edited by kaffeine; 02-19-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    This is just like that drug trip I saw in that movie while I was on that drug trip.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Kaffeine

You truly are a star, cheers mate. The instructions in that post didn't work for me. However I read the rest of the thread and instructions later on did. I now have an external HD attached to the aspire and can simply right click on files for vlc to play them.

The built in players can't cope with divx files but so far vlc has dealt with anything I asked of it.

Seriously old bean, thank a million. I really do appreciate the help. It means the wee machine is now much more use to me.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    kaffeine's Avatar No queda el tiempo
    No problem at all mate. I'm glad you got it working.
    This is just like that drug trip I saw in that movie while I was on that drug trip.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    It's the only thing I didn't like about the machine and was even thinking of converting it to win98 or xp just to get video files to work properly. Which would have been a shame as it works well with linpus which is a cut down linux. Now I can keep the OS which runs really well on the machine. In all honesty it would have struggled with a bloatware operating system.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Why so? Why would XP, for example, have crippled it?

Forgive my ignorance. But why would these netbook contraptions not run windaes?

Is it a price thing or a maverick thing or both.

Honest question.

I only ask cos me daughter's birthday is imminent and I was thinking about getting her one a them netbook fandangles.
    Last edited by chalice; 02-19-2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    It depends on the spec.

The aspire is all solid state, so it has an 8GB HD and 512 MB ram. I got the wean one as well because you don't need to worry about hard drives getting broken or moving them when they are spinning. She can walk about with it and throw it about etc as there are no moving parts per se.

It's reasonably easy to up the storage as there is a slot which can take SD cards which then become part of the storage. There's another slot which shows them as a removable drive. So it would cost me about £20 to double the storage and still leave a multi card reader free.

"Now obviously there's a bit more to this than just the ability to put two memory cards in at once since the extra slot acts as storage expansion, meaning you can easily and cheaply expand the native 8GB already present. The One will incorporate any SD memory card into its file system through an application it calls Smart System Management, showing the joint storage devices as a single unified space. This worked flawlessly when I tried it with a 16GB SDHC card, effectively tripling the One's capacity in the blink of an eye.

As I said, this is a really clever solution. Yes, it's possible to do this with other netbooks, but it won't be even half as elegant. For one thing, they won't incorporate the extra memory into local storage, and for another, you won't actually be able to insert another memory card (if, for example, you want to get the pictures off your camera) without 'removing' this extra space. This way Acer has given consumers a modular way of increasing their storage that will only get cheaper and more spacious as time goes on, without needing to mess about with the machine's innards. One minor gripe is that since you will potentially be loading applications onto this second SD card, it would have been good to see some kind of locking flap in place, to ensure that you didn't eject the card by mistake at an inopportune moment."

Bear in mind it can use SDHC, which are the high speed ones.

Anything which has a standard HD is, in my opinion a cut down laptop as opposed to a netbook.

And also because of the OS and the way it is set up it starts and closes down quickly. Again part of the sec I was looking for.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...One-Netbook/p1

Currys are doing the ones we have for about £175 but please remember it is not intended as a mini laptop. You can buy those but that's not what I was looking for.
    Last edited by JPaul; 02-19-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast