Thread: Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Media Servers (List)

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    TVersity

What is the TVersity Media Server?
    The TVersity Media Server lets you manage your Internet and home media and create your personalized lineup of channels, or as we call it your Personal Entertainment Guide (PEG). It then serves this media to a multitude of networked devices in the home or on the go, overcoming their inherent limitations by doing all the necessary conversions on the fly, and thus making your media available anywhere, anytime and on any device.

What devices are supported by the TVersity Media Server?
    TVersity is the most versatile media server and the only one that is truly universal in the range of devices it supports. TVersity can serve media to:

* Devices supporting the UPnP AV / DLNA standard (which is the de-facto standard for connecitivity between devices in the digital home). This includes devices like networked TVs, DVDs, Stereo Receivers, Digital Media Adapaters/Receivers, Mobile Phones, Satellite and Cable set-top-boxes and more.
    * Devices with a web browser (XHTML-MP or WAP 2.0) and media streaming or downloading capabilities like Mobile Phones, PDAs, the Sony PSP, and more.
    * Devices with an RSS reader and media streaming or downloading capabilities like the Sony PSP, iTunes/iPod and more.
    http://tversity.com/

XenonMKV

XenonMKV (formerly MKVOfDeath) is a Windows frontend utility, similar to GOTsent and Videora Xbox Converter. It repackages high-definition H.264/x264 video and 5.1 audio contained in MKV files to an MP4 format that the Xbox 360 can play.

The utility has several significant advantages:

* No video transcoding required. All video is maintained at its original quality.
    * Only the audio is downsampled, so the process is much quicker than a full transcode. The Xbox 360 only supports 2-channel AAC audio with H.264 source. This is a restriction of the Xbox 360 media player and isn’t because I hate 5.1 surround (I’d actually love it, but no dice!) Please write to Microsoft and request enhanced audio support (5.1 AC3, DTS and AAC) as a feature for future dashboard releases.
    * XenonMKV is designed specifically for the Xbox 360 video specifications. There’s no worrying about whether you’ve got the right converter settings.

Of course, there are several disadvantages:

* You lose the extra 3.1 channels from the original source, with no support for Dolby Digital surround. If this bothers you, consider transcoding the video and audio to WMV-HD; but if you’re that picky, transcoding in general probably won’t be an option for you.Personally, I’d rather have the video quality, but whatever floats your boat. Another option is a Media Center PC with the Combined Community Codec Pack, AC3Filter (and CoreAVC if you’ve got a slower system.) If you’re really a video/audiophile, you’ll have to ante up for the good stuff.
    * The Xbox 360 will not play MP4 files over 4GB in size. Only WMV files can exceed this hard limit - any other file type will not work. The audio downsampling process is pretty good at keeping ~4GB files under this cap, but if you have a 9GB or comparably sized MKV source, it will need to be split into two (or more) parts. Some of my friends, in particular, are completely against this. They’ve forbidden me from using this utility on good quality content, as it ruins the flow of any movie. You may or may not care what your friends think and tell them to sod off. This is another good feature to request from Microsoft as it seems to be an arbitrary limitation and not technically related.
    * You’re going to have a more difficult time streaming MP4 files to the console than comparable XviD AVI files. Windows Media Player 11 is weaksauce when it comes to recognizing filetypes that aren’t WMV. XenonMKV now includes a registry patch that fixes this issue in the Tools menu. Additionally and not specific to this utility, be well aware upfront that if your video and audio files are located on an external server or NAS - like mine - there will be a significantly painful process involved. Rather than fight Microsoft, I’ve installed TVersity to stream media to the 360. It isn’t perfect but it’s significantly better than WMP11 or Media Connect.

If all of this doesn’t phase you, XenonMKV might be the utility you’re looking for. I wrote this utility because the Xbox 360 requires specific video settings, and doing things manually is a huge pain.
    http://xenonmkv.ev98.net/

GOTsent

Easy and Fast h264 .MKV to PS3 and XBOX 360 compatible MP4 and PS3 compatible M2TS/AC3 conversion.

recoding to Xvid, mpeg2 and compatible h264 (with hardcoded subtitles or to AVCHD with softsubs) is also supported. A new feature includes folder batch conversion of AVI files to PS3 compatible format. (scan and only convert incompatible AVI files)
    http://sentry23.googlepages.com/

Playstation 3 Media Server

PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.
    Current features

* Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.
    * Real-time video transcoding via MEncoder, tsMuxer or Avisynth
    * DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
    * OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
    * Thumbnail generation for Videos
    * You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!
    * All formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/WMA, JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, and all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG) the ps3 is willing to play
    * Display camera RAWs thumbnails (Canon / Nikon, etc.)
    * ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders for pictures/audio files
    * Support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
    * Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer
    * Podcasts audio/ Video feeds support
    http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

NJOY

The XenonMKV is great, because the xbox doesn't support MKV and it process's it really quick...
    [center]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    for linux:

most powerfull sharing software is called

uSHARE
    shares nearly everything 4 everything

depending on installed codecs!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Gotsent works great and it's fast. Viewing hd on my 360 wouldn't be same without it.
    See ya in another life, brother.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    I personally like MKVofDeath (Xenon) after it's converted (it only takes a few minutes) I just drop in onto my usb card..

I guess 2 of those are actually converters and 2 are media servers

I'm so glad Microsoft at least updated the 360 to play XViD, because thats what almost all of my videos are at, now if they would only support FLV
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 02-20-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    [center]