Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unpack a group sequentially-named ZIP files??

Poster BT Rep: +5
    Can someone please help me figure out how to properly decompress a group sequentially-named ZIP files files (so that the unpacked files link together accordingly to form the main file I intended on downloading...)

I know how to do this with RAR files (easy enough, you just double click on the one that is chronologically 1st in the sequence), but when I try this on a folder full of sequentially-named zip files, the first file simply unpacks to reveal a folder, containing yet another compressed file??

Any help??

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    redMonster's Avatar Flying Without Wings BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Are you trying to unpack a software scene release? If yes, then you cannot sequentially extract all the zip files by extracting just once. You will have to extract them separately. Software releases by the scene are a PITA. I downloaded Photoshop CS4 few days ago and I took 20 minutes to unpack it. The worst packing ever.

The compressed file which you see after unpacking the zip file is most probably a rar file.

The folder name is expected to be series in somenameA, somenameB, somenameC, etc.
    Click here if you want to join TTC

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    the first set files are zip files arranged as a,b,c,..
    inside each of these zip files is one .rar file.
    extract all the .rars into one folder and from there you have your regular rar'd release

i use software UnPacker to do it all for me though

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    select all the zip-files -> right-click -> extract with winrar

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Doesn't 7zip do this for you as well?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by danio View Post
    select all the zip-files -> right-click -> extract with winrar
    This doesn't work, and it never does... it always results in duplicate files of the same name being extracted to the same folder, thereby resulting in this warning dialog...

Don't think it's a scene release...but I am honestly not sure about that...

The finished download looked like this:

Opening the first file into WinRAR results in this:

Extracting the contents shown in the screenshot directly above results in this:

Though this appears to be what I am after, similar files and folders also result when extracting the other two original RAR files...

Long story short, this specific torrent is just one example of an issue which has plagued me for far too long now... In other words, this has happened to me in the past repeatedly, with a variety of torrents from a variety of trackers, and I never know how to proceed with extraction when I do get compressed files such as these???

kondrae, I've never heard of or tried "UnPacker" but I will look into it and perhaps give it a shot...just to be sure, is this the specific application you were referring to?

Any other general tips, suggestions, or comments on how to proceed with circumstances such as these in the future?

Thanks!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    unpack all zips into ONE folder, when asked to overwrite answer 'yes to all
    then unpack rars

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I don't see what the problem with this is, or maybe I'm not understanding the question. But in Windows all I would do is right-click on one of the .zip files, and choose Extract to Folder. And the files would extract to a new folder that is named after the .zip file.

On Windows I had Winrar, Winzip, and 7zip installed(Winzip I didn't really need though since Winrar will unpack zip files, 7zip I had because the compression is better than Winrar/Zip). Don't actually left click on the .rar or .zip, and open the file in Winrar/WinZip, just right-click on it instead and hit Extract. It should automatically start unpacking for you.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    he is talking about some releases that must be unzipped two times.
    Had this problem with small programs scene releases.

If u use the general right click and extract here they will unzip in another rar archive. and when u will try to unzip the second one u will get an error saying next volume is required.

1. Select all the zip archives then right click and extract here or on another location.
    2. Select the first rar archive resulting from step 1 and extract it as normal.
    3. After the second extraction the setup files should appear.
    Last edited by BeckS; 02-20-2009 at 12:03 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckS View Post
    he is talking about some releases that must be unzipped two times.
    Had this problem with small programs scene releases.

If u use the general right click and extract here they will unzip in another rar archive. and when u will try to unzip the second one u will get an error saying next volume is required.
    uhm, no? if you select all zip-files and extract them by right-click-> extract to folder... it will extract the rar-files from all the zip-files to that location (just press overwrite all in the dialog for .nfo-files etc).. when you have the rar-files you just extract them as usual, right-click on the .rar-file and extract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast