Thread: Holy Shit, Thats A Lot Of Transistors!

Source: Anandtech

Intel just announced their first microprocessor aimed at the gaming market - the Pentium 4 Processor Extreme Edition. The Extreme Edition will be available in the next 30 - 60 days and will run at 3.2GHz.

The major improvement to the Extreme Edition over the current Pentium 4 is the inclusion of an on-die 2MB L3 cache. This on-die L3 cache is in addition to the 512KB L2 cache, giving the Extreme Edition a total of 2.5MB of on-die cache. Note that this is identical to the Xeon MP (Gallatin) core, other than the fact that we're talking about a CPU that runs at 3.2GHz and has an 800MHz FSB.

The 2MB on-die L3 cache takes the Northwood's 55 million transistors and balloons it to an incredible 108 million transistors, which is still less than the Prescott's 125 million transistors. What's important to note here is that although the Prescott has less than half of the cache of this new Pentium 4, it still has more transistors - giving you some insight into how much Intel enhanced the core. We will have some benchmarking time with the Extreme Edition very soon...

read the article here

Man, I need one of these! But wait! I want to buy a motherboard that will support the entire next generation of chips...and be able to support the DDR 2 implementation...hmmm...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    That is going to be ing expensive

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    like a forum post i read about intel's ideas..
    Just cause you add more dont mean it will run faster or better..
    Original forum post was talking about intels 3.2 processers and amds 2.0 gigahertz chips and how amd is better but runs hotter but still doesnt need as much cpu as intel to be faster and better.
    Just cause there is more cache or cpu speed dont mean its better.
    And yes intel are way to expensive to be taken seriously. If you want good stuff for cheaper get AMD.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    some more info from intel

Intel boss Paul Otellini has formally kicked of IDF Fall 2003. In his opening keynote, the president and COO of Intel acknowledged that there is more to life than gigahertz processor speeds - that Intel must provide users with benefits beyond simple processor speed.

Supporting evidence was the showcasing of two new technologies, codenamed Vanderpool and LaGrande.

Vanderpool involves virtualising hardware, to bring more robustness to the support of applications and the general use of PCs. By the use of partitions, a single PC should be better able to support separate tasks - one machine can effectively become two (or even four, with the use of Hyper-Threading).

In the demo of Vanderpool, a computer was being used to watch The Simpsons and play a computer game at the same time, driving separate screens. More importantly, one of the 'machines' could be rebooted without affecting the operation of the other. The Simpsons could continue unperturbed, as it were.

Using virtual machines within processors, independent software environments will be able to co-exist. There was no software emulation involved, he maintained.

La Grande addresses concerns about security rather than robustness. 'At a time when the "virus of the week" seems to plague us all, making our computing devices more secure through the addition of hardware-based security must become a top priority for the industry to ensure future growth,' said Otellini.

Not expected to be available for at least two or three years, La Grande is intended to be a hardware level solution to software-based attacks, but it wouldn't - Otellini stressed - require any 're-architecting' of software platforms. Note that it also involves some of the work carried out by Microsoft under the 'Palladium' umbrella....

Getting back to processors, an interesting announcement concerned the appliance of server science to the desktop space. Otellini said dual and multi-core processors would be developed from the server space into PCs and notebooks, that developers should expect 'dual core capabilities in our mainstream desktop products, and assume that the use of threading is pervasive'.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    around $740 in quatities of 1000

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Im waiting for AMD's Opteron B)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by adamp2p@17 September 2003 - 12:36
    around $740 in quatities of 1000
    I'm pretty sure my motherboard won't support 1000 CPUs.

I'll have to check, though...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker+17 September 2003 - 19:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 17 September 2003 - 19:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-adamp2p@17 September 2003 - 12:36
    around &#036;740 in quatities of 1000
    I&#39;m pretty sure my motherboard won&#39;t support 1000 CPUs.

I&#39;ll have to check, though... [/b][/quote]

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by Cygnuz-Y@17 September 2003 - 20:40
    Im waiting for AMD&#39;s Opteron B)
    Operton is already available. You must be referring to the Athlon 64.