Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Help, Please...

TClite installed a new ASUS A7N8X-D motherboard today

he can't boot into windows, gets a blue screen error and loops back into restart and then blue screen...

tried repairing boot sector on hdd, didn't help any
    chkdsk reported "did not scan", when forced to scan found "one or more errors"

are there any quick fixes to this problem, or any ways to boot into windows without a format/reinstall...we can actually see the folder lists, just can't do anything.

windows xp pro corp

p.s. would using the 'wrong' windows disc (i.e. not the one used to install windows on the system) be causing the problem

p.p.s is it possible to fit a new motherboard without reinstalling windows xp?

thanks in advance for any rpelies/advice...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    When replacing the motherboard it&#39;s always recommended to do a clean install of your OS.

What board did you have before? Did it have an Nvidia chipset?

My thinking is that the old board probably had a Via chipset and had the drivers for that. An idea would be to reinstall the old board and uninstall those drivers. If you get the system up and running with the old board why don&#39;t you recover any data you want to keep?

I still think that the best thing to do is format and reinstall.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I concur with Somebody1234. Any major new hardware like a mb is going to need a new install of Windows.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    old board was an asus a7v333 via chipset, cant use it as its fried, the new board is a replacement, are there any other alternatives to reinstalling windows? also on boot after posting the next screen says failed to detect my hdd, but its recognises it in bios......

TClite btw

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Hey TClite,

If you need to recover some data from the drive... Either repartition the drive with Partition Magic and reinstall the OS to the new partiton and recover the data or install the OS to a new drive and then reconnect the original drive a slave. You can then recover the lost data that way. Otherwise you will have to format and reinstall and loose the data.

I don&#39;t think it will be easy to get your current setup to work. To change the chipset requires that all the associated drivers be changed before it will work.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    If you&#39;re going to reinstall I suggest that you put at least 2 partitions. One for your &#39;system&#39; (c:&#092, one for your &#39;data&#39; (d:&#092, which would include e-mail, documents, music, images, downloads, shared files etc. Many programs let you define the default destination directory which you would point to that &#39;data&#39; partition.

That way when you need to reinstall the system, only the system gets wiped. To reinstall an OS is not a big deal, it only takes ~45 minutes. If you do it that way you get to keep all your own files. As a bonus it&#39;s easier to do backups.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@17 September 2003 - 21:28
    If you&#39;re going to reinstall I suggest that you put at least 2 partitions. One for your &#39;system&#39; (c:&#092, one for your &#39;data&#39; (d:&#092, which would include e-mail, documents, music, images, downloads, shared files etc. Many programs let you define the default destination directory which you would point to that &#39;data&#39; partition.

That way when you need to reinstall the system, only the system gets wiped. To reinstall an OS is not a big deal, it only takes ~45 minutes. If you do it that way you get to keep all your own files. As a bonus it&#39;s easier to do backups.
    His past motherboard was fried, it might have effected the HD too.

How did he lose his Mobo noob?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    What&#39;s up noob, ol pal?

Is this your computer? Who is TClite?

B)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    hi, sorry for the delay in reply folks...

tc has since formatted his comp, there wasn&#39;t anything wrong with the hdd, we put it in mine as slave to check...

anyway, he formatted and reinstalled xp, problem solved now

thanks for the help

:beerchug:

@adam, i&#39;m not too bad, how&#39;s you?
    TClite is a board member here and a very good friend of mine

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    meh, guess it was just a bad XP install.

*shrugs.

happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast