Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bittorrent + Alcohol = Disaster

Cheeseman1208's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Man, what a day. I am writing this topic to clear my name a bit, as apparently I have been dubbed as a "threat to bittorrent" by many staff members at numerous sites. I'd like to start off with a couple simple statements:

I am not a member of the RIAA or the MPAA. I do not work for the FBI or CIA. And I certainly not plotting to take down any sites.

Ok, I'll explain myself a little bit for those who do not know already. I, along with my entire invite trees, were banned at numerous sites after I was dubbed a "threat" by What.cd staff. Thats about 20 or 30 people that were banned for a simple, harmless joke I played late last night.

I was intoxicated, I admit it. I was also looking through What.cd for some new music to download. Then, I came across a pre-release album that was just upped by a new member, who joined the site only 2 weeks ago. At the time, I thought it would be a great idea if I messed with this new member a little bit, by pretending to be a RIAA agent who "traced his IP". Remember, I was out of it at the time, so I sent an over-the-top message to this poor soul, and laughed myself to sleep.

I woke up to find his security settings changed to "Tinfoil Hat", and thought, "oh shit, I forgot to tell him it was a practical joke." I got halfway through my apologetic message when I was hit by the ban hammer at What.cd. I ran to their IRC, and pleaded my case to a mod. He thought I lied, had a second account, and that I run an underground invite trading ring. He banned me and my invite tree. Fuck. OK, no problem, I got my real life friend Jaycryst to go in and explain what happened, and how it was all a friendly joke. Nothing happened, but he got some of my invite tree unbanned, but only one or two accounts (around 20 people were banned, my userid is 554 on What, so I was one of the first people on the site).

Alright, no biggie, right? Wrong. Within an hour I found myself banned on BCG and another site which wishes to be unnamed. I contacted both on IRC, explained my situation, and I am currently "pending moderation".

All of this because of a drunken late night friendly joke.

Kids, learn from my mistake. DO NOT drink and bittorrent. It only leads to mass bannings of you and your invitees.
    Last edited by Cheeseman1208; 02-23-2009 at 01:53 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I banned you on BCG

and just for the record, you will be staying banned.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    I banned you on BCG

and just for the record, you will be staying banned.
    Why, may I ask? I did nothing wrong, besides freak out a new member of What.cd a bit.

And that was a mistake. I apologized numerous times. But I can't see it warranting a ban on a totally unrelated site.
    Last edited by Cheeseman1208; 02-23-2009 at 02:01 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    exactly.

it was not funny in the slightest.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    While I don't agree with Cheeseman did, as it was obviously idiotic, his invite tree should not be to blame. I can't defend him much, only assure you that hes not any kind of agent against bittorrent. However, I will say that his invite tree consists of many other IRL friends I have. I think the only site that banned his invite tree was what, and I talked with the staff there politely and sorted out the situation for the RL friends I have there. If any other sites have banned his invite tree, I'll be happy to vouch for the RL friends I have who might be entangled.

Cheeseman, Count your losses. I'm sorry man, but that was a stupid move; no matter how drunk you were.

I know your not any kind of agent, but when you send a PM like that to someone... what do you expect?
    Last edited by Jaycryst; 02-23-2009 at 02:06 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    well on BCG he has no invite tree, but if he did, i would not have banned them.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    exactly.

it was not funny in the slightest.
    Stoi, does it warrant a ban?

It was not funny. It was massichistic and evil. I reread the PM I wrote, and thought "fuck, what was I thinking?". But does a small slip-up like that deserve a perma-ban from several different sites that had nothing to do with the issue?

BTW, this is merely for discussion purposes. I want to spark a debate on what warrants moderation, and in the worth case, bans from a site.
    Last edited by Cheeseman1208; 02-23-2009 at 02:06 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    yes

maybe it well teach you a lesson to not be such a jackass in the future.

sorry but what you PMed was probably the daftest thing you could have PMed and you probably had that new member shitting himself, it wasnt funny in the slightest and alcohol is no excuse im afraid.

PS; i am going to bed nw so night night.
    Last edited by stoi; 02-23-2009 at 02:08 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    But look at the scope of the damage. Yes, I was a jackass to one member on one tracker. But to be globally banned from bittorrent because of it?

I messed up, but I think this moderation is a little over-the-top.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    why the fuck should i care what you think.

honest you fucked up you got banned rom 3 sites that i know of, more may follow, not my problem, sorry.

btw why dont you quote the PM in its entirety on here, so people can see why you got banned, i have seen it, but its not for me to show.
    Last edited by stoi; 02-23-2009 at 02:13 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast