Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: SSD will replace our HDD soon?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I would consider noise reduction to be a secondary benefit anyway.
    When running two (or more) standard SATA drives in RAID, noise is barely noticeable- even when defragging.

It's the read/write performance increase that makes SSDs worthwhile.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #42
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    SSDs for the av joe are a ways off. They are and will be too expensive on a cost per GB basis and offer no considerable improvements that the av joe would care about.

A person benchmarking and comparing would care about SSDs now. For certain applications, SSDs are ace.

Otherwise, joe user on their desktop at home could care less about it's benefits until costs come way down.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Software & Hardware   -   #43
    I don't care about the "average joe"...actually, who does?

The average user could have stopped upgrading in 2002 (actually, most did) and, as long as the internets and spider solitaire still work, be perfectly happy today.

My "not-so-average" experience with SSDs almost directly contradicts your assertion about a "benchmarking person".
    My POS SATA 1 SSD benches way worse than my various RAID arrays, yet it still seems snappier during daily use.
    A new SSD would be much better I suspect, and as soon as I quit squandering my disposable income on my car I plan on acquiring one (or preferably, more).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #44
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I don't care about the "average joe"...actually, who does?

The average user could have stopped upgrading in 2002 (actually, most did) and, as long as the internets and spider solitaire still work, be perfectly happy today.

My "not-so-average" experience with SSDs almost directly contradicts your assertion about a "benchmarking person".
    My POS SATA 1 SSD benches way worse than my various RAID arrays, yet it still seems snappier during daily use.
    A new SSD would be much better I suspect, and as soon as I quit squandering my disposable income on my car I plan on acquiring one (or preferably, more).
    Well for even users doing burning, ripping, downloading torrented files, syncing their MP3 players, it won't matter much. Maybe those are a step above av joes. No one challenged what you cared about.

The question was will it replace HDDs soon.

I say no. They cost too much and it will be hard to justify it's cost when faced with alternatives that are slightly slower but offer way more storage space for the money.

The one thing I do like about SSDs is that when they go kaput, they simply won't allow writes anymore. Hard drives won't work at all.
    Last edited by Busyman; 06-14-2009 at 09:41 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Software & Hardware   -   #45
    Yeah, but the alternatives aren't just "slightly" slower.
    Besides, I've never said you had to go totally SSD...just get a small one (30-60 GB) for the OS and then load up as many regular drives as you please for storage.
    Best of both worlds.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345