Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD will replace our HDD soon?

micropino's Avatar Lossless Ears BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Anyone here using SSD (solid-state-drive) on his rig, please share your experience; how many SSD Gigas do you have? and did you really noticed the speed difference compared to the HDD? I am very excited to replace my HDDs? waiting for the day when the SSD price will come close the HDDs of today. My first replacement will be the OS HDD

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yes, I have used a 64GB Samsung SSD for a while now.
    Despite being a first gen product- only SATA 1 with read/write speeds barely better than a thumbdrive- I find it superior to standard drives in many respects.

There's little point in comparing benchmarks...my clearly inferior SSD laptop drive does not begin to compare to the 3 drive RAID0 array that I normally run, but from a strictly hardware POV (hardware being my particular fetish), it's already leaps and bounds superior.

NO seek noise (although to be fair, the shortstroked RAID array is very quiet also) and the smaller footprint make it a winner, IMO.

In general day-to-day usage I see no difference- even granting the lesser performance of the SSD- I assume that the fantastically small seek time masks the poor read/write performance compared to the RAID array.

The price of the newer (and far superior to my unit) SSDs will soon make solid state units the only reasonable choice for the OS drive.
    Mechanical drives will probably continue to make sense for plain storage for the foreseeable future but if I was starting from scratch today, my PC would definitely have a SSD in it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thank you for your input clocker...
    SSD faster, safer, quieter, shock resistant and low power consumption... this is the real deal and what we call it future
    Last edited by micropino; 02-23-2009 at 09:04 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Sure its faster, safer, quieter, shock resistant and low power consumption AND WAY more money ATM and I think it'll be for quite some time

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    D., look at the dollar/GB ratio of SSDs over the just past year and you'll see that it's gotten significantly better.
    It will soon approach that of the Raptor series and when it does, game over.
    Last edited by clocker; 02-24-2009 at 11:00 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    In a few more years we will all be using SSD for OS.
    I think it will take a few years longer before HDDs are replaced for storage though (better cost/gb, and higher capacities available).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Which brings up another interesting concept...how much longer will massive storage be necessary in a standalone PC?
    Online storage, streaming media, lots of potential alternatives to simply grabbing and hoarding on your personal box.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    In a few more years we will all be using SSD for OS.
    I think it will take a few years longer before HDDs are replaced for storage though (better cost/gb, and higher capacities available).
    This is very expected to happen

Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Which brings up another interesting concept...how much longer will massive storage be necessary in a standalone PC?
    Online storage, streaming media, lots of potential alternatives to simply grabbing and hoarding on your personal box.
    I am still not expecting people to move to online storage easily because of two limitations (bandwidth and privacy).
    Still have hope that new SSD technology will be enhanced quickly like we see with flash memory so 1 TB SSD may be available one day

Guys, I am very happy to discuss this with you. You have tons of info and practical approach, thank you for your time

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I believe that SSD will replace HDD in the future but not soon. Hard drives are so cheap now. I mean you can find 1TB hard drives for about 90 dollars when they are on sale. The price for a SSD at the moment is too much I believe for it to replace the HDD.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    The advantages of SSDs over traditional drives for anything but bulk storage will soon overwhelm the dollar/GB objection.

I've been a believer since the days of the iRAM, which had a terrible price/performance ratio- approx. $100/GB- and things have only gotten better at an ever increasing rate.

At this point, anyone with a s939 system or better would get more apparent bang-per-dollar value from a SSD than an upgrade to a new CPU/RAM/chipset.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast