Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are trades allowed here?

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo Da Kid View Post
    Because Fst would loose a lot of it's userbase if they didn't allow trading. It would also hurt the Bt section and as a result we the whole Fst would turn out like the Lounge.
    Don't talk shite, this was a disparate and varied forum long before BT trading was allowed here. The lounge was the lounge and it allowed people to spam if they wanted, meaning that everywhere else tended to stay on topic. So people who wanted to have serious discussions on a variety of topics did just that.

The lounge was made the way it was for that very reason, it was a conscious decision taken by the staff and members and it worked. There's no reason to suggest that it would change without the BT section. Indeed I would argue that the only place outside of the lounge (spam section) where spam occurs is the BT section, with people posting shite to get invites to private trackers.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Certainly there are people who come here specifically to trade but conversely I doubt that anyone who isn't intent on that already learns that practice here.
    what? you gotta be kiddin' me.

if there's one place somebody will learn it, it's here. fst is mainly responsible for all the level thinking and considering invites/accounts as a commodity.
    People learn to trade here hardly.They either have that predilection in them or they don't.
    Maybe my naivety iis showing again but there is considerably more naysaying here (at least on the surface,and that's all a noob would see)than enabling.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Ofcourse to become unique and elite they should act like that.chosing carefully,giving invites to trusted memebers.

Just i mean geting them is like a dream, if you dont know anybody,if you dont have some friend there, without trading entering is imposible.By the way im not supporting traders.lookig from their side.

Everybody wants to have ferrari,you can extend examples

I dont know i can explain myself or not with my 50 worded english

Quote Originally Posted by danio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chec View Post
    i wanna answer this queation with another question.if this elite sites opens signups periodicly who can trade.And in this elite trackers i dont know exact persantage, nearly half is good traders.there was one uk-t topic find and see there traders persantage who is in uk-t
    um.. i don't really understand what you're asking here. but what do you mean by "good traders"? cause in the trackers' point of view, there are none.

why should trackers that don't want to have open signups have it? if they want to recruit new members by careful selection within their circles, then so be it. the fact that there are a lot of curious people that want to join these trackers who don't know any other way than trading doesn't justify shit. the trackers have no obligations at all in this matter. besides, this doesn't have much to do with the topic anyways.

EDIT: to Albo Da Kid > that sums it up pretty good. however, there are atleast one more aspect that i can think of. take uk-t for example. the reason why they are so closed up is mainly cause of the legal threat.. some trackers want to be restrictive with who they let in in order to maintain their sense of security (false or not)..
    Last edited by chec; 02-25-2009 at 12:28 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Albo Da Kid's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    this was a disparate and varied forum long before BT trading was allowed here

Yes and that was before there were 60000+ members. Try and take out the main attraction(trading section) and see what will happen to your "disparate" forum with this many active members. This whole place would turn into a mess including the Bt section. (Maybe the Lounge wont since it's already a dump.)
    The main topics would become these kind "Why is ...... such a Cawk" or "My hairy nipples" etc... The Bt part of the forum would loose a lot of value. If you happen to think otherwise give it a try and take out the trading section for a few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    The lounge was made the way it was for that very reason, it was a conscious decision taken by the staff and members and it worked. There's no reason to suggest that it would change without the BT section.
    I didn't say the Lounge was going to change. I said the whole Bt section would become like the Lounge. Matter fact the whole forum.
    Last edited by Albo Da Kid; 02-25-2009 at 12:32 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo Da Kid View Post
    Because Fst would loose a lot of it's userbase if they didn't allow trading. It would also hurt the Bt section and as a result we the whole Fst would turn out like the Lounge.
    Don't talk shite, this was a disparate and varied forum long before BT trading was allowed here. The lounge was the lounge and it allowed people to spam if they wanted, meaning that everywhere else tended to stay on topic. So people who wanted to have serious discussions on a variety of topics did just that.

The lounge was made the way it was for that very reason, it was a conscious decision taken by the staff and members and it worked. There's no reason to suggest that it would change without the BT section. Indeed I would argue that the only place outside of the lounge (spam section) where spam occurs is the BT section, with people posting shite to get invites to private trackers.
    U got to be kidding me without the bt section this site would have next to no members, u talk about the lounge would not change ofcourse it would not because there are only a handful of people who use it regulary and they are all the members like with over 5000 posts, and anyone under that threshhold u wont even acknowledged there, so yea u right in a sence because only the same 10 people who use the lounge would continue using it and anyone new who would ever post in there would just get froozen out. So great this site would just be dominated by 10 or so members without the bt section.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Villalltheway View Post

U got to be kidding me without the bt section this site would have next to no members, u talk about the lounge would not change ofcourse it would not because there are only a handful of people who use it regulary and they are all the members like with over 5000 posts, and anyone under that threshhold u wont even acknowledged there, so yea u right in a sence because only the same 10 people who use the lounge would continue using it and anyone new who would ever post in there would just get froozen out. So great this site would just be dominated by 10 or so members without the bt section.
    This is not a defense of the lounge but how many sites aren't like that?
    If people don't know you most places do they even give you the time of day?

I thought not.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    kallieb's Avatar Spamaholic BT Rep: +4
    This is not a defense of the lounge but how many sites aren't like that?
    If people don't know you most places do they even give you the time of day?

I thought not.
    Some site ofc are terribly cliquish - i grant you that; but I do have to say in my personal experience there are just as many other sites who do make it a point to be very welcoming to all members - new and long-standing. And "new" can be new to torrenting in general and not just new to the site.

my two cents....
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70

Albo there's discussion of having a second lounge that isn't so ....cliquish
    They will just take that one over too.
    Go Leafs Go.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo Da Kid
    If everybody was a good member and seeded everything they leached and took care of their accounts(and didn't trade/signup for another account as soon as their ratio hit 0.4), there would be no rarity trackers like Ftn. Ftn is one of the biggest attractions to noobish traders because they look at it as ratio free and they don't have to seed anything.
    Not true the frenzy for FtN was stronger long before the tracker became the first to put in place a ratioless policy in fact the userlimit was originally set at 4,000 not 6,000 members and the existing staff were extremely strict on new invitees for a long time with no invites for over 6 months. Trading levels are based on the rarity of the tracker nothing more, by becoming a member of a tracker with a small limited membership that is hard to join people think they have achieved something and are somehow 'elite' or 'special'. Many of those who have these memberships only have them for the trophy value barely keeping the membership ticking over, but rarity in no way is tied into ratio, none of the other 'rare' trackers offer no ratio but they are still highly sought simply because invitations are hard to obtain.

What I'd like to say to a few anti-traders who don't know shit about why trading is bad is this: "If you want to help out the BT situation worry about leaching and seeding and not so mmuch on trader hunting. If we were all good members(seeders) there would be no lust for high level trackers right now"
    Now this doesn't make much sense at all. You can define those who are against trading as 1 staff, those whose trackers are directly affected by trading and who do not wish their trackers accounts to be handed around like baseball cards to many anonymous people over & over since accounts are often retraded many times, and 2 those members of trackers who object to trading because they have issues with trading and the other problems it brings (scamming & invite selling), or simply because the members actually care for the trackers and like the staff do not wish to have random anonymous members in the community.
    In no way would a good ratio alter trading in any material way whatsoever, that is ludicrous to suggest. As stated before trading is simply based on rarity, so many I have seen over the years go flat out, trade their way to their 'dream tracker' because it is rare and then post how disappointed they are.

Yesss. The WTAW thread for example is responsible for a lot of fuckups in the BT community.
    Now this makes sense, WTAW was originally created here on FST by a long since departed member sidney a big trader back in the day, and it is this thread which has been quoted on so many other trade / invite forums making tracker memberships a commodity. If you glance through the posts within the WTAW thread here they are all posts made mainly by traders debating the relative value of various trackers at various times relating to how difficult it is to become a member.

If you look at it this way, trading itself seems rather pathetic and pointless since it's ultimate aim is just to join trackers simply because they have few invites or a small userbase.Kind of a sad way to spend your time if you ask me..........
    Last edited by Artemis; 02-25-2009 at 02:31 AM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Albo Da Kid's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Not true the frenzy for FtN was stronger long before the tracker became the first to put in place a ratioless policy in fact the userlimit was originally set at 4,000 not 6,000 members and the existing staff were extremely strict on new invitees for a long time with no invites for over 6 months. Trading levels are based on the rarity of the tracker nothing more, by becoming a member of a tracker with a small limited membership that is hard to join people think they have achieved something and are somehow 'elite' or 'special'. Many of those who have these memberships only have them for the trophy value barely keeping the membership ticking over, but rarity in no way is tied into ratio, none of the other 'rare' trackers offer no ratio but they are still highly sought simply because invitations are hard to obtain.
    When Ftn first started you think the staffers went ahead and said" lets only have a userbase of 4'000 so we can be one of the rarest trackers"? No, they choose that number because they wanted hand picked dedicated users who would would help create a ratio free community with blazing speeds. If the other trackers weren't so neglected there would be no use for a new ratio-free tracker which offered the same content.
    After the success of Ftn had, the rumors started knocking on the ears of the hungry and unhappy users. I myself thought Ftn was the ultimate topsite alike tracker that had everything that I couldn't find elsewhere. I saw it level 9 on the WTAW thread and I thought the higher the level the better it was. I'm sure that's how most started trading. Rarity played a big part on it from that point on but at the time the amount of noobs was far larger than the collecting knowledged bunch.
    Today it's true that the number 1 collecting/trading reason is rarity. But all this crap could have been stopped if everyone 3 years back dedicated their time into trackers like TL/Kararga/Oink etc.. Those three could have been the 3 ultimate trackers and there wouldn't be much curiosity dedicated to the new ratio-free rare trackers.

What I was basically saying is that these crappy 0day hyped up trackers wouldn't be getting this much attention today if trackers like TL/scc/Kg had more content and better speeds 2-3 years ago. That could have been achieved by the dedication of the majority of the members. But unfortunately these communities lacked efficency which led it's members seeking for other better and faster trackers and The WTAW thread ofcourse tricked many into thinking that the higher leevel, the better the tracker was.

Edit. Im off to bed. I'll check out every1ns Pov tom when I have a little more energy
    Last edited by Albo Da Kid; 02-25-2009 at 03:46 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast