Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are trades allowed here?

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Well this thread took off eh. OK well the fact is trades are allowed here because this is a File sharing forum with a BT trade section.

Personally I would like to get rid of the trade section altogether but the majority of members here want it. I have had a few polls in my time that prove it. people always call this section the "main attraction" but I have seen no proof of this at all. The way i see it We'd see far less bullshit arond here if it were to go. Thats just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    if there's one place somebody will learn it, it's here. fst is mainly responsible for all the level thinking and considering invites/accounts as a commodity.
    Again the trading blame of the entire world falls on FST. We teach traders now?? Jesus now thats not only silly its irresponsable to say. There are FAR worse sites out there public and private that allow any site not onlt to be traded but to be bought and sold. Sure some people including myself first coming to FST may think that trading is the norm. I have said many times that is what I thought at first, but guess what? Someone told me it wasn't and that was that. Some people will get it and some wont.By now there are enough threads that people can see to know it is frowned upon and the consequences could be severe if they decide to ignore the warnings

Actually I keep forgetting to mention this publicly but I do want someone (preferably an open ex trader) to make a well worded, yet understandable thread on the dangers of trading and what it could cost you. Not in a threatening manner mind you, but just something for the no0bs to read and to help educate them a bit. More or less a disclaimer on what could happen if you choose to trade instead of make friends and doing things the better way. If someone does this please PM it to me first for approval.

To blame the WTAW thread I think is also bit silly. It's just a thread. A guideline as to what the members think about each site and how the rank up against each other. It's just peoples opinions and not some kind of BT Bible. I know the argument so please don't preach it to me. "It makes the traders want a site because it's rare" I know, I know. I just don't feel like its that big a deal guys. Seriously now c'mon. There are far worse issues around here other than a silly thread that isn't meant to be taken literally, it's only supposed to be used as a reference. Serious business? No.

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Don't talk shite, this was a disparate and varied forum long before BT trading was allowed here. The lounge was the lounge and it allowed people to spam if they wanted, meaning that everywhere else tended to stay on topic. So people who wanted to have serious discussions on a variety of topics did just that.

The lounge was made the way it was for that very reason, it was a conscious decision taken by the staff and members and it worked. There's no reason to suggest that it would change without the BT section. Indeed I would argue that the only place outside of the lounge (spam section) where spam occurs is the BT section, with people posting shite to get invites to private trackers.
    Blah blah blah. Who left your cage open? Go back to your hole loungie

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    silvertec's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    New members to the BT scene find this place and then follow the example of others and start trading.
    Its up to all of us to set a standard and how private trackers and Bt forums act
    Currently they think it ok to trade and then they get banned from good sites mainly because its the first thing they learned.
    So stop the trade section set a standard that new members can learn from that will produce the next generation of good Bt members.

FST can stay on their current path and be loathed and hated by private trackers or they can change their current ways and direct new members to a more enjoyable BT experience.

Just my 2cents....

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Who cares...

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale
    To blame the WTAW thread I think is also bit silly. It's just a thread. A guideline as to what the members think about each site and how the rank up against each other. It's just peoples opinions and not some kind of BT Bible. I know the argument so please don't preach it to me. "It makes the traders want a site because it's rare" I know, I know. I just don't feel like its that big a deal guys. Seriously now c'mon. There are far worse issues around here other than a silly thread that isn't meant to be taken literally, it's only supposed to be used as a reference. Serious business? No.
    Oh but it is serious business, and complete with hilarious fights about the various levels being fought by 'factions' of traders. The WTAW thread is a bible and is quoted in its entirity on many other forums that trade invites and/or accounts. Within days of the TTC 'review' and its unveiling as a topsite many foreign language forums were abuzz with info about it. This one thread does affect so many peoples opinions, just look at the discussions on trade section whenever a n00b trader gets it wrong and all the others descend on him saying you'll never get this tracker for that one its level is too low. It is the WTAW thread which started the thinking in levels, it is influential in the thinking of so many and being off-hand about it's affect on the community in no way alters that effect.
    It absolutely is the WTAW thread which drives this nutty little stockmarket that is the trade section and you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Oh but it is serious business, and complete with hilarious fights about the various levels being fought by 'factions' of traders. The WTAW thread is a bible and is quoted in its entirity on many other forums that trade invites and/or accounts. Within days of the TTC 'review' and its unveiling as a topsite many foreign language forums were abuzz with info about it. This one thread does affect so many peoples opinions, just look at the discussions on trade section whenever a n00b trader gets it wrong and all the others descend on him saying you'll never get this tracker for that one its level is too low. It is the WTAW thread which started the thinking in levels, it is influential in the thinking of so many and being off-hand about it's affect on the community in no way alters that effect.
    It absolutely is the WTAW thread which drives this nutty little stockmarket that is the trade section and you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.
    I think this is one of your finest posts man. I agree that it does impact things sure, but I also think that it's the people and not the thread who make it the "stock market" that it sometimes comes to. It's the users in this generation that take it all serious. I believe the thinking in levels was always there in some circles. It's just supposed to be a reference point not an actual rating. Blame the people, not the site for taking it so seriously.

I think that BT in general has gone way downhill from when I came up. Personally I blame the seasoned people for not teaching the no0bs on the proper way of things instead leaving them to their own devices and their own means of getting in. You know how it is, people come to FST use it for all they can and then move on and forget where they came from. Even if FST stopped trading here there would be trading still in many other places. If there were no demand then there would be no need for a supply . Teach the people and the site will change. I'm going to have a public poll again to see where the majority of the users want amke sure you vote

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    First of all, nice thread.

I can't speak for myself, cause I joined other invite forums before I joined FST (I always thought FST had nothing to do with invites). When I was joining them I saw anti trading posts everywhere, threads dedicated to the subject and whole trading sections of forums being deleted. This was in July 2008. Therefore I can't say if I would have traded if I came here first. I like to think that I wouldn't, that I'd have read the posts in all sections first (at the time I was a big forum lurker, not the spammer I am now, lol).

Still, some interesting info here. I actually asked myself this question a few times since I joined here. What I gathered from your responses is that if there was no trade section here, there would be far less members. So what you're saying is, you rather have a lot of bad users than a few good ones? The fact remains FST has influence in the BT world. If you start banning traders, some will find another site eventually, but I think most won't. The result: some sites will be rare, be most of them will be judgeg on other grounds.

Why I hate trading? Because I'm influenced by traders' opinions every day. I don't know if FTN is worth going after when you have a bunch of other trackers. I do know it's rare...
    Last edited by The_Martinator; 02-25-2009 at 09:35 AM.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Reading through am kind of inclined to think that people who traded when they were n00bs then stopped aren't really to blame..here you have two active sections the giveaway and the trading section..on one you see bombs getting dropped regularly and on the other not so often,the competition and the slamming of people's request on the giveaway section not withstanding,these people wind up seeing their only chances of getting into these 'elite' sites(thanks to the WTAW sticky ) better lie in trading and so they fall prey...but then on the other side of the argument these people had 30 days of which they were not allowed to talk but rather listen..had they taken their time to read through the two forums,am sure the 'please,i didnt know i was a noob' story lines wont really be there...that aside what happened to collective responsibility?its kinda interesting seeing admins taking sides on this..if i were a trader i would even be scared of trading lol...at least get rid of the WTAW thread if the trade section seems too difficult to do away with at least for the sake of n00bs..
    Last edited by Juscallmesez; 02-25-2009 at 09:57 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo Da Kid View Post
    this was a disparate and varied forum long before BT trading was allowed here

Yes and that was before there were 60000+ members.
    No.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Actually when this was the K-Lite forum, this was a lot better place, and it had more than 60,000 members (i think it was 5 years ago or so lol).

From my POV I enjoyed it a lot more back then, than i do now.

as for the WTAW my argument has always been.

If someone wants to trade a lvl 4 for a lvl 9 and another person wants to trade a lvl 9 for a lvl 4 then why stop them (obvioulsy trading itself is wrong, but why should a thread stop both parties from doing it, surely its up to them, but they just get laughed at if they try) when arguably the lvl 4 will be a better "tracker" than the lvl 9.

I still dont understand it lol

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    Actually when this was the K-Lite forum, this was a lot better place, and it had more than 60,000 members (i think it was 5 years ago or so lol).
    Yeah. And yes, it was a lot better.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast