Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are trades allowed here?

Tried searching the forums for the answer, but I didn't find one. When I first joined FST, I was relatively new to the private tracker world. I saw that there was a trade section here and just assumed that trading was the norm and even encouraged.

Imagine my confusion when I started reading users' posts decrying traders. I since learned of the significant tracker safety issues involved in trading, and suddenly the disdain for trading made incredible sense.

Which brings me to my question: Why does there continue to be a trade section here? When virtually every private tracker loathes the idea? And when new users to FST might think nothing of the practice and even hurt their chances at getting into trackers they might be interested in?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    i guess cause there is still a majority, or atleast a great deal of the userbase here are traders.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsoncrow View Post
    Why does there continue to be a trade section here? When virtually every private tracker loathes the idea?
    because the majority of members came and will come here to trade and get invites to bittorrent sites.

the trade and invite section are fst's main attraction. you wouldn't shut down the most popular rollercoaster in an amusment park, would you?

p.s. in before the lock
    Last edited by Polarbear; 02-24-2009 at 11:50 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Albo Da Kid's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Because Fst would loose a lot of it's userbase if they didn't allow trading. It would also hurt the Bt section and as a result we the whole Fst would turn out like the Lounge.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    because the majority of members came and will come here to trade and get invites to bittorrent sites.

p.s. in before the lock
    Trading and getting invites are two entirely different things.
    Certainly there are people who come here specifically to trade but conversely I doubt that anyone who isn't intent on that already learns that practice here.
    Giveaways are another matter. Anyone who has been around long enough knows that it isn't the thing to do but I don't vilify noobs with no other options for looking for a way to get on better trackers.

p.s. you are tempting fate.

Albo there's discussion of having a second lounge that isn't so ....cliquish

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    i wanna answer this queation with another question.if this elite sites opens signups periodicly who can trade.And in this elite trackers i dont know exact persantage, nearly half is good traders.there was one uk-t topic find and see there traders persantage who is in uk-t
    Last edited by chec; 02-24-2009 at 11:56 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by chec View Post
    i wanna answer this queation with another question.if this elite sites opens signups periodicly who can trade.And in this elite trackers i dont know exact persantage, nearly half is good traders.there was one uk-t topic find and see there traders persantage who is in uk-t
    um.. i don't really understand what you're asking here. but what do you mean by "good traders"? cause in the trackers' point of view, there are none.

why should trackers that don't want to have open signups have it? if they want to recruit new members by careful selection within their circles, then so be it. the fact that there are a lot of curious people that want to join these trackers who don't know any other way than trading doesn't justify shit. the trackers have no obligations at all in this matter. besides, this doesn't have much to do with the topic anyways.

EDIT: to Albo Da Kid > that sums it up pretty good. however, there are atleast one more aspect that i can think of. take uk-t for example. the reason why they are so closed up is mainly cause of the legal threat.. some trackers want to be restrictive with who they let in in order to maintain their sense of security (false or not)..
    Last edited by danio; 02-25-2009 at 12:10 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Just think about it like this.. If everybody was a good member and seeded everything they leached and took care of their accounts(and didn't trade/signup for another account as soon as their ratio hit 0.4), there would be no rarity trackers like Ftn. Ftn is one of the biggest attractions to noobish traders because they look at it as ratio free and they don't have to seed anything.
    The bad seeds are what make trackers keep their rarity level up because they only want the good dedicated members in, and that sparks up envines in most because they want to be a part of everything.

What I'd like to say to a few anti-traders who don't know shit about why trading is bad is this: "If you want to help out the BT situation worry about leaching and seeding and not so mmuch on trader hunting. If we were all good members(seeders) there would be no lust for high level trackers right now"
    Last edited by Albo Da Kid; 02-25-2009 at 12:08 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Certainly there are people who come here specifically to trade but conversely I doubt that anyone who isn't intent on that already learns that practice here.
    what? you gotta be kiddin' me.

if there's one place somebody will learn it, it's here. fst is mainly responsible for all the level thinking and considering invites/accounts as a commodity.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    what? you gotta be kiddin' me.

fst is mainly responsible for all the level thinking and considering invites/accounts as a commodity.
    Yesss. The WTAW thread for example is responsible for a lot of fuckups in the BT community.
    Last edited by Albo Da Kid; 02-25-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast