Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Just Some Music News

old school
    Face to Face Retires

After twelve years and six records, Face to Face has retired.

Back in '95 when this was new I guess I didn't have a clue I thought the world could change with the right song"
    So sang Trever Keith on "Shoot the Moon". He could not have been more wrong. The world can change with the right song and has indeed been changed by Face To Face and their songs.

From their landmark debut, Don't Turn Away---generally considered one of the best punk rock albums of the 90's---through the ahead-of-its-time Ignorance Is Bliss, to their latest, How To Ruin Everything, Face To Face not only carried the torch passed to them from the likes of Bad Religion, The Adolescents and Social Distortion, they took it into brave new creative territory with each album, and in doing so influenced countless young punk bands who came after them.

If this sounds like an obituary, well, it is.

After nearly 13 years, 6 albums, and countless tours of the US and abroad, Face To Face is calling it quits.

Founder and main songwriter Trever Keith has simply stated, " We've said what we had to say."

Although Face to Face has endured their share of lineup changes, the decision to split has nothing to do with creative or personal differences. "This is a mutual split, we like to think that we have the good sense to know when a band has run it's course and for us the time has come. Besides, you never want to be the last one to leave the party" says Scott Shiflett, bassist and songwriter. Keith adds, "We owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to our fans and supporters over the years, and we would like to extend our most heartfelt thanks."

Just because they are retiring from the road and studio does not mean the band won't be busy. Keith has started up a record label called Sound on Sound for which the band is in the process of compiling a career retrospective CD and companion DVD and Shiflett (with Keith) recently completed work on the second Viva Death album.

2. Music   -   #92
    old school
    Descendents!

The new full-length CD is slated for release in March of 2004, with an EP on its way in January, both on Fat Wreck Chords.

The EP is entitled 'Merican, and includes four new tracks: "'Nothing With You", "'Merican", "Here With Me", and "I Quit". Stay tuned for more info as it develops.
    Rock Against Bush

MTV News is reporting that Fat Mike's Rock Against Bush tour and compilation are coming together. Bands involved include the Alkaline Trio, Green Day, NOFX, Pennywise, Good Charlotte and Sum 41 among others.

The bands will each contribute a track to a Fat Wreck Chords compilation that that aims to raise political awareness and encourage punk fans to vote against George W. Bush in the next presidential election. Green Day, NOFX and the Alkaline Trio will record new songs for the album. The other groups haven't yet announced whether their tracks will be new or previously released. Expect the disc in stores by April or May.

All the bands involved are playing at least one show on the Rock Against Bush Tour, which will run in two legs. The first will take place around the release of the album, with the second to occur closer to the election. Punkvoter.com will have voter registration booths setup at all the shows, which are planned to be free and staged mostly at college campuses. The tour may be called the Punkvoter tour since many college campuses and radio stations may not promote it under that name. All proceeds from the album will go toward print and television ads that will encourage punks to oust Bush from office.

"We're just going to put true facts on TV," Fat Mike said to MTV, "and one or two famous punk rockers will be reading them." With no profits from the album and free shows, Fat Mike is prepared to pick up most of the costs from the effort, "I'm planning on losing a lot of money, but I don't care. This is something I really believe in."

NOFX singer/bassist Fat Mike spoke to MTV about the effort "About a year ago I decided to use my influence to get bands together to speak out about the president... I think it's our responsibility as citizens and musicians to do so. He's wrecking the country and the world. He's starting wars for no reason, our economy is in the toilet, he's ruining the environment, and he does things like cut taxes when we need money... We're trying to build a coalition of kids 18 to 25... We want punks and other disenfranchised young people to vote as a block, which no one has ever done before. Kids are the biggest group of people that don't vote. We want to change that."
    Eminem Reconstructing Tupac

This year, Eminem was given the extraordinary opportunity to put his own spin on Pac's music when he was enlisted to produce tracks for the soundtrack to MTV Films' "Tupac: Resurrection." Even as he sits at the top of his game, producing the late master was an assignment Eminem never thought would come his way.

"Nah, I'd be like, 'Get the f--- out of here,' " Em said about ever imagining producing for one of his idols. "When they told me I got a chance to do anything for this [soundtrack], I was like, 'OK, gimme it.'

"I just got sent a bunch of Tupac a cappellas and went crazy with them," he said about the initial stages of the production process. "Whatever I could salvage out of anything, I just banged out a bunch of tracks. It's not difficult when you get somebody like Tupac and you already have their vocals. All you gotta do is find the tempo of the song, and you just build the beat around it. That's what I like to do anyway. For two or three weeks straight, we just went at it."

The first release from the soundtrack is "Running (Dying to Live)" and is a remake of a posse cut called "Running From the Police," where, most notably, Pac and the Notorious B.I.G. were featured. To breathe new life into the record, Em incorporated a sample of Edgar Winter's "Dying to Live," in addition to snippets of Tupac and Biggie interviews.

"It was obviously one of their earlier songs," Em explained. "The movie is documentary style so I tried to make the song documentary style. You hear Tupac coming in with basically the last interview that he did.  He was down-talking Biggie. Then after Biggie's verse, you hear Biggie trying to downplay the [beef], basically trying to dismiss it as if it was nothing.
    Penn State Students To Get Free Napster Next Semester

Approximately 18,000 students living in residence halls across a dozen PSU campuses, including the main one in University Park, will be given complimentary memberships to the premium service of Napster 2.0, which re-launched as a paid digital-music service last week. The service, which ordinarily costs $9.95 per month, gives them the ability to stream an unlimited number of songs from Napster's library of more than 500,000, as well as be able to download any song with limited playback options. Referred to as "tethered downloads," these songs may be played on up to three personal computers and are accessible both online and off. Songs may be burned to CDs or transferred to a portable digital-music player, like Napster's own player, for 99 cents apiece.

Napster's return to the dorms, where Northeastern University freshman Shawn Fanning launched a beta version of the software four years ago, begins January 12. Later next year Penn State plans to offer the service to 83,000 people throughout the university system.

"This will be the first step in a new, legal approach designed to meet student interest in getting extensive digital access to music," Penn State president Graham Spanier said. "We have already set up student focus groups at Penn State who have been testing the Napster service. We will essentially deploy thousands of testers in the spring semester to use this program and give us feedback before we roll it out for even wider student use in the fall of 2004."

Students will not be paying anything extra for the Napster service. The cost will be taken out of the school's information technology fee, which is already in place.
    More on Students To Get Free Napster

3. Music   -   #93
    old school
    Joey Ramone Place To Be Named On November 30th

Rolling Stone is reporting that the corner of Second Street and the Bowery in New York City will officially be named "Joey Ramone Place" on November 30th. The corner will be on the north side of the block that's home to legendary club CBGB (wo celebrates their thirtieth anniversary next month). The naming ceremony is scheduled to take place at 1 pm on the 30th. Ramone's fans had been petitioning for the city's recognition after the Ramones vocalist's death from Cancer in April 2001

CBGB owner Hilly Kristal spoke with the magazine, "As far as the city recognizing Joey, it's about time... The Ramones meant a lot to this city and to music. They were the original punk rock band. Their longevity supersedes anybody who sold more records, and the consistency and meaning of their name is greater than anybody in the punk rock field."

4. Music   -   #94
    old school
    MP3.com Hosting Changing in December

Yesterday, MP3.com announced that it has been (partially) acquired by CNET Networks Inc. According to the release: "all content will be deleted from our servers and all previously submitted tapes, CD-ROMs and other media in our possession will be destroyed. We recommend that you make alternative content hosting arrangements as soon as practicable."

This may prove to be bad news for the many, many independent and unsigned bands out there who counted on MP3.com to get their music heard. It's not clear what the new services to be provided will be, and whether they will be pay-only or not.
    Guttermouth Writing New Album

Guttermouth are writing songs for their follow-up to 2002's Gusto, an album the band seems to be displeased with considering the comments made in their recent website update. Here's a snip:
    Scott and I have been writing crap for the new record, but this time it isn't crap. We will release some tracks very soon so as you all can see and hear what direction we are headed this time. I can tell you that the fucked up state of this disgusting world we all live in has influenced our writing greatly.
    Word `round the campfire is that the band has left Epitaph and will be shopping this release to other labels. No official word on that from anyone yet.
    Keep On Flogging Molly

Flogging Molly are working ona new album. Singer/songwriter Dave slipped during an interview yesterday that there will be a lot more "moody" stuff on the next one together with the Flogging Molly Goodness.
    Beach Boys in legal battle with each other

NEW YORK (Billboard) -- Beach Boys co-founder Al Jardine has won an appeal against ex-bandmate Mike Love, clearing the way for a breach-of-fiduciary-duty lawsuit against Love.

"This is the first step in a long journey," Jardine told Billboard.

Love became the sole licensee to perform under the Beach Boys name in 1998, when bandmate Carl Wilson died. In 2001, Love sued Jardine in California superior court to prevent Jardine from using the band's name when he toured. According to the complaint, Jardine had been touring under the names "Beach Boys Family & Friends," "Al Jardine, Beach Boy" and "Al Jardine of the Beach Boys."

At the time, the lower court ruled in Love's favor, denying Jardine use of the name. Jardine then appealed the decision, seeking $4 million in damages.

By now, the damage amount has ballooned to "something in the tens of millions of dollars," says Jardine. "But it's about much more than just the money. I want to be able to tour again, and to be able to identify myself as a Beach Boy again."

In the latest decision, the California Court of Appeal on October 29 ruled that Love acted wrongfully in freezing Jardine out of touring under the Beach Boys name. Other defendants in the appeal included Brian Wilson; Wilson's wife, Melinda Wilson; the trust of the late Carl Wilson and Brother Records, Inc.

A trial date is expected in mid-2004.
    The revolution that saved rock A new boxed set celebrates '70s punk
    click to read full story

WHERE ARE THE SEX PISTOLS?

One key band is missing from "No Thanks": the Sex Pistols.

Try as it might, Rhino couldn't get permission to use any Pistols songs.

"It hurts me not to have them," says set producer Gary Stewart. "We can't pretend it doesn't matter. It's like a British Invasion set without the Beatles."

So, in the back of the "No Thanks" booklet, there's an apology: "We tried our best to get the Pistols on this set; it just didn't work out. And let's be honest: 'Never Mind the Bollocks' -- the punk equivalent of 'Sgt. Peppers' -- is a more essential purchase than this set."

After encouraging listeners to buy "Bollocks" -- if they haven't already -- Stewart signs off, "Apology accepted?"

Well, OK.

5. Music   -   #95
    old school
    Cure B-Sides Boxed Set Coming In January

Before the band's new album hits, fans of The Cure can expect a four-disc boxed set titled Join the Dots: B-Sides and Rarities, 1978-2001 (The Fiction Years) on January 27th from Fiction/Elektra/Rhino. Frontman Robert Smith supervised the project, which includes a 76-page booklet with track-by-track commentary from Smith and bassist Simon Gallup. This marks the band's final release on Fiction/Elektra, as their new studio album will be released on Ross Robinson's I Am Records imprint.

6. Music   -   #96
    old school
    Video In The Works For Strummer's 'Redemption Song'

Anti's website is reporting on the new video in production for Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros' cover of "Redemption Song." The video was shot by director Josh Cheuse in NYC at Jesse Malin’s Avenue A bar Niagara. Here's the report:
    The video begins with classic scenes of the NY skyline – the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building – then blends into familiar street-level sights and sounds of the city. Speeding taxis and screeching fire trucks fly by as a crew of graffiti artists and painters descends upon a blank wall to begin working furiously on a mural. As the artists consult a sketchbook, the screen is filled with a montage of archival photos and live footage of JOE (including The Clash at Shea Stadium and on the roof of Bonds, and never-before-seen footage of JOE STRUMMER AND THE MESCALEROS at Brixton Academy). By this time New Yorkers of all ages and ethnicities are watching the artists and listening to the song. Some familiar faces from the crowd include JOE’s friends such as Jim Jarmusch, Steve Buscemi, Matt Dillon, Jesse Malin, Cara Seymore (Adaptation, Gangs of New York), Cinque Lee (Spike’s brother and co-star, along with STRUMMER and Buscemi, of the Jarmusch-helmed Mystery Train), plus all of Rancid – Tim Armstrong, Matt Freeman, Brett Reed and Lars Frederiksen.

As more details come into focus on the mural, it becomes obvious it’s of STRUMMER. The clip ends with passersby lighting candles and leaving tokens at the base of mural, which reads “Joe Strummer 1952-2002.”

this looks to be an awesome video!

Joe Strummer 1952-2002

7. Music   -   #97
    old school
    Rancid, AFI, Thrice & more @ KROQ's Acoustic Christmas

KROQ Acoustic Christmas 2003 is taking place in December at the Universal Amphitheatre. The shows are sold out at the moment, so check with the radio station for chances to win tickets. There are two days of the event, December 13th includes AFI, Pennywise, Thrice, the Distillers and the Offspring, among other modern rock acts. December 14th features Rancid, Brand New, Blink-182 and others. Check kroq.com for more info.

8. Music   -   #98
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Just because i love delta and hate kylie i will post this...(and cause i love aussie music)

Innocent Eyes have it
    By Cathy McCabe
    November 25, 2003

DELTA Goodrem has led an historic Australian assault on the pop charts, with local albums claiming the ARIA top five for the first time.
    Goodrem's phenomenal debut album Innocent Eyes managed to keep Kylie Minogue's new album, Body Language, from a No.1 chart debut.

John Farnham's greatest hits One Voice claimed No.3, the Australian Idol finale kept the contestants' compilation at No.4 and Powderfinger's Vulture Street stayed strong at No.5.

Goodrem's Innocent Eyes has also spent 25 weeks at No.1, equalling the record held by John Farnham with Whispering Jack.

It has sold more than 700,000 copies since its release in March and continues to be snapped up by more than 20,000 fans a week.

Remarkably, the Australian releases performed strongly against new albums from international superstars - Blink 182's self-titled album (No.7), Michael Jackson's Number Ones (No.8), Britney Spears' In The Zone (No.10), Let It Be ... Naked by The Beatles (No.11) and Lost Dogs from Pearl Jam (No.19).

"While this is certainly a special day for Delta Goodrem, the industry must all feel very proud of the album charts today," Sony Music Australia chairman Denis Handlin said yesterday.

"To have the top five albums on the chart be all Australian only four weeks out from Christmas should make all Australians proud and it is a very healthy sign of the times for the Australian music industry."

An ARIA spokesman said yesterday's historic result marked the first time since the ARIAnet system was introduced in 1988 that five Australian albums had claimed the top of the charts.

In October 2000, four local albums - Light Years by Minogue, Powderfinger's Odyssey No.5, the official Sydney Olympics CD and Madison Avenue's Polyester Embassy - held the top four positions.

With the record industry entering its most competitive and lucrative trading period, the major labels will be unleashing a marketing blitz to win the coveted No.1 at Christmas.

International albums which could upset the current Australian dominance include the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Greatest Hits, No Doubt's hits compilation The Diary Of Alicia Keys, The Offspring's Splinter, TLC's The Hits and Jay Z's The Black Album.

9. Music   -   #99
    A man who identified himself as a news and photo agency reporter was arrested after allegedly climbing aboard Michael Jackson 's private jet while the pop star surrendered to authorities on a child-molestation warrant, police said.

The revelation Wednesday followed news that Jackson and his attorney were secretly videotaped aboard the plane, triggering an FBI investigation and a lawsuit by Jackson against the charter jet company.

The possibility of a connection between the alleged trespass and the videotapes was under investigation, but no connection had been made, Santa Barbara police Sgt. Dave Gonzalez said Wednesday.

Lee Kevin Madden, 27, was arrested Nov. 20 after Jackson's security staff discovered him aboard the plane and held him for Santa Barbara police, Gonzalez said.

At that time, Jackson was being booked by sheriff's investigators at the county jail.

Madden, of Los Angeles, had a video camera, digital camera, notepad and metal clipboard, and claimed to be a reporter with the Splash news and picture agency, Gonzalez said.

Madden was booked for investigation of misdemeanor trespassing and released.

A message left by The Associated Press seeking comment from the Marina del Rey offices of Splash was not immediately returned, as well as a message left at a number listed under Madden's name.

Splash identifies itself on its Web site as an independent entertainment news and picture agency, with corporate headquarters in London.

The Web site displayed photos showing interior shots of an airplane cabin with a black fedora identified as Jackson's hat atop a seat, and an exterior shot of the aircraft in a hangar with someone identified as Jackson descending its stairs to surrender.

The discovery of the videotapes came to light this week when the charter company, XtraJet, of Santa Monica, showed them to news organizations.

Jackson attorney Mark Geragos immediately alleged violation of attorney-client privilege and sued XtraJet. A judge barred the company from releasing the tapes and doing anything with the jet until Jackson's attorneys can inspect it.

10. Music   -   #100
    old school
    Joey Ramone Day in NYC

Yesterday Joey Ramone Place was dedicated in New York City on the corner of the Bowery & 2nd Street. There are pictures taken at the event posted here, scroll down to see the street sign. At the event, the city of New York officially proclaimed 11/30/2003 to be Joey Ramone Day.

Those in attendance included "Tommy & Marky Ramone, Joey's mother, brother, & uncle, Hilly Kristal, Legs McNeil & John Holmstrom of Punk Magazine, Little Steven, Chris Frantz & Tina Weymouth of the Talking Heads, Jim Jarmusch, Lenny Kaye" and others. Getting the sign up has not been without it's mishaps, as no less than four days ago the unveiled sign was discovered to have been mislabeled "Joey Ramone Way" (it's since been corrected).

Tommy and Marky Ramone

Little Steven

Joey's mother, with the Joey Ramone Day proclamation from New York City

Joey Ramone Place on the corner of the Bowery & 2nd Street, right by CBGBs

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast