Thread: Backing Up My Harddrive?

Poster
    Ok i never backed up my harddrive before, cause i was nervous of messing up.
    So what is the best software, that is simple to understand as in directions. With a good interface.

Oh yeah i forgot to mention i want to put backup onto cdrw's that i bought a couple days ago.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    Probably Norton Ghost.

Not sure, never used it myself... I just compress all my files and burn them to CD, plus I have a backup HD

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    ok cool ill check it out.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    best program Norton Ghost, its best just backup ur system and ur never need to format, very time ur pc is not functioning just restore ur back up file

1st format ur pc then install windows and every single program u need on ur pc then back it up with Norton Ghost and this ur system backed up file is bugg free

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Well i have the system restore disk that came with this pc. So after i reformate it does a auto restore. So at least that part will be easy. I think ill make a list of what i need to install and then do a back up. Great info, i didnt think about installing all the programs i needed then backingup, i probably would have done it after i backed up lol.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    u should get partition magic and partition ur drive into 2, and put all ur data on the 2nd partition, and windows and apps on the first, then if anything happens, format the 1st partion, and everything iwll still be on the 2nd partition

edit: i can pm u a link to partition magic 8 if u want it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yup, Norton Ghost.

If your HD is large enough, use Partition Magic to create a separate partition ( in my case, running XP Pro with a lot of programs I made mine 10GB) and then clone your freshly installed OS onto the new partition. You can use the clone to repair your damaged/corrupted active partition should the need arise.

Ghost will also allow you to create bootable CDs of your OS with all the programs already installed. The Ghost image of my system filled 4 CDs. You can even verify the integrity of your image with this program.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Norton Ghost & a spare HDD is the easiest.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    well i have two partitions, one on d: which is 19 gigs, i use that for music i havent put on cd yet.
    I think my next question will be how to install a second hardive.
    I have a 80 gig harddrive, but i didnt know how to format my hdd to get it ready for my os, so i had to take it into computer place.
    So adding another one seems tricky to me.
    Can someone post some links so i can learn how to do this?
    Only thing i did learn how to do after 14 times of trying is change my video card.